Fur Friendly 22-250 Options

A newbie question,
Will a can even have any effect on the sound from a bullet that's in the 3,000 FPS velocity range?
What would the velocity be downgraded to with that short of a barrel?
No one has addressed that thus far, but it was the first thing that came to mind for me.
As far as bullets go, it seems like the consensus is that a bullet that fragments inside the body is the best choice.
Next would be a bullet that stays together and doesn't expand will make a smaller, clean exit hole.
Here in SE Michigan woods, we hear them at night, but never see them during the day.
Some farmers and horsemen say they see them a lot and they are a problem.
We see more red fox than coyotes.

A suppresser will quite a gun shot it all depends on the caliber, the suppresser and velocity .....shoot a sub-sonic 22 caliber load and the bullet hitting the target will be the loudest noise.....shoot a 22-250 full charge load and with a suppressor and it will not be hearing safe shorten the barrel length from the factory and it will be louder....
Velocity loss with or with out a suppressor is very close to the same.....a loss of around 20-25 fps per inch maybe more....
I live and hunt varmints in Michigan shoot them from 30 feet to 300 yards away....I've shot 100's of different bullets trying to find the best sorry to say they is no best for every situation all there is a compromise of some shots and they work great for others well not so good....

You can't make a 22-250 fur friendly on fox or Bobcat. Try a 22 hornet. For coyotes there are two approaches we have used successfully, highly frangible that stay insside, think 50 grain Hornady SPSX at 3500 fps or the 55 SPSX at 3800, out of a 12 twist. 40 grain Vmax are also a decent choice if you shoot most at 350 or less. Other option is the Barnes TSX. Small hole in, small hole out but enough expansion to not have too many runners.
I repeat what I said in post 24. The frangible option works most of the time but when it doesn't it makes a mess. The small hole in, small hole out is pretty much fool proof, except for the need to track the odd one..

I once shot a bobcat with a 458WM downloaded to a modern 45-70 at 30 yds with a 300gr soft nose. It had 2 nice little hole through both ribs that would had been very easy to close up and not notice.
The rifle was a Ruger #1, it clover leaf at 100yds, idk about 300 yds though but I'd suspect the damage would be about the same.

There are plenty of options but they aren't what the OP was asking about.
The short barrel + suppressor combo has to be loaded for to optimize. The short barrel will require a faster burn rate powder to avoid latent ignition, fouling the can, and extra noise. The asked about twist rate is best for long bullets, which can be optimized for subsonic loads.

The short barrel, fast twist is a compromise that kind of defeats itself. We're it me I'd go with a longer barrel and trade off the handy length for performance.
If I wanted short barrel handy in a bolt gun at this performance level, I'd buy a Tikka T3 in .223, chop the barrel to 20".

I have had great luck with almost zero fur damage with the Varmint Grenade in my .223 and .22-250AI. Pencil hole in and dead right there animal.
Coyote? Or fox?

Fox explode like shooting a water baloon.

Coyote much more explosion resistant. More like a pumpkin 🎃.

Hi all,

I am putting together a new setup for night hunting and I've settled on the good old 22-250. I grabbed a Tikka T3X that is a 1:8T, and I will be chopping the barrel back to somewhere between 16 and 18 inches to run suppressed.

Any feedback on bullets that are a little more fur friendly than what the 22-250 is generally known for? I was thinking something along the lines of a heavier barnes like the 77 lrx?

I will primarily be hunting Bobcat, fox, and coyote within 300 yards.
We shoot a lot of foxes here in Oz and use 17cal because they reach out to 300 no trouble and head shots stay in the skull to keep the skin in perfect condition. I haven't seen a good old 22.250 or had one despite having 3 with custom barrels. Try a 22BR and back load it to 3400 to 3500 and with a Berger 50gn and even body shots will stay in foxes. That seems to be the magic velocity to get them to stay in. I really don't like what you are considering but sure others will come up with something to suit.

^^^^^This, or either a 52 grain hp in Speer or Sierra.
I had a sierra crater on a coyote and I changed to Hornady. I sold the fur so it made a difference. The Hornady bullets were more accurate and affordable. A cci primer failed so I changed to Remington match primer