What’s your fur friendly coyote bullet

With the advances in bullet design and the jacketing material , the 17's probably are better now then ever before . I'm a little different then most I found a round I liked and stuck with it instead of continuing to look for other options . I just got lucky early on and found that the 55 grain Sierra game king hollow point boat tail in my 223 running at 2900 feet per second mv worked I did how ever have to change powders from IMR 4320 when I wasn't able to get it in the 80's to H335 . But then I drive the same truck for 10 years when I can because I'm so cheap I don't like to spend money on things just to see how they work I will let others do the experimenting for me and then might change if I see they have found something that works better for the same kind of job being done . And I think that is the reason behind this page so others can say what they use and be able to compare with out laying out a ton of cash to find a different option which in turn allows a lot of people to read about other options as well , while still maintain their budgets . So then in short a JOB WELL DONE guys .

Wondering what every one is using that's easy on fur for coyotes. Am interested in velocity, twist and bullets. Don't want this to get onto cartridge rant as we all have our favorites.
Twenty grain 17 hornet is as fur friendly as it gets, any 17 hornet round in the yotes boiler room puts em down, even at 300 yards. Hornadys 24 grain NTX in 204 is also very fur friendly, 350 yards will do it.

Do you find the .17 Hornet to be very wind-sensitive?

Ed
Can be when winds inch towards 15mph, you then have to compensate. This was shot in 10 to 15 mph gusts , benched at 100 yards. I shot the best I could when the gusts slowed. The trade off for me is worth it.

Attachments

• wind .jpg
    wind .jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 56
Where I live 10 - 15 mph is almost a daily occurrence except in the summer when you would like a breeze . We regularly have gusts to 20 mph . And this winter has been extra windy Sunday we had high wind warnings posted on the I-25 intestate with gusts to 90 mph . It wouldn't make much difference what you were shooting here this year you would have wind drift . So after 20 mph or so I stopped shooting most days which would be by 8:00 AM . I never did learn to compensate real well in gusting winds that you my have three different directions and wind speeds in 300 yards . Today winds of 10-20 mph are predicted with 5-10 mph tonight and 10-25 mph for tomorrow that's how it's been here all winter sadly .

Where I live 10 - 15 mph is almost a daily occurrence except in the summer when you would like a breeze . We regularly have gusts to 20 mph . And this winter has been extra windy Sunday we had high wind warnings posted on the I-25 intestate with gusts to 90 mph . It wouldn't make much difference what you were shooting here this year you would have wind drift . So after 20 mph or so I stopped shooting most days which would be by 8:00 AM . I never did learn to compensate real well in gusting winds that you my have three different directions and wind speeds in 300 yards . Today winds of 10-20 mph are predicted with 5-10 mph tonight and 10-25 mph for tomorrow that's how it's been here all winter sadly .
I'm not good either but I just watched the flags on the 100 yard line , and shot when they weren't horizontal. Love the round anyway. At 100 yards even in 20 mph you could easily hit a varmint, out at 200 don't know.

I'm not good either but I just watched the flags on the 100 yard line , and shot when they weren't horizontal. Love the round anyway. At 100 yards even in 20 mph you could easily hit a varmint, out at 200 don't know.
The environment that I shoot in varies a great deal from plains to mountains, from grasslands to rocks, and sand dunes.
Rarely does the wind stop and swirling gusts are more common than not.
It's sometimes very difficult to read the wind when there's really no tall grass or brush with leaves that you can check wind speed and direction.
Add in the limited time you have to get on target to make the shot, and it is quite challenging.
Thus, I prefer to use cartridges that offer as little wind sensitivity as is practical.

I guess I could just use my Sharps with a 535gr Postell bullet and just worry about bullet drop...😁

Ed

The environment that I shoot in varies a great deal from plains to mountains, from grasslands to rocks, and sand dunes.
Rarely does the wind stop and swirling gusts are more common than not.
It's sometimes very difficult to read the wind when there's really no tall grass or brush with leaves that you can check wind speed and direction.
Add in the limited time you have to get on target to make the shot, and it is quite challenging.
Thus, I prefer to use cartridges that offer as little wind sensitivity as is practical.

I guess I could just use my Sharps with a 535gr Postell bullet and just worry about bullet drop...😁

Ed
I hear you different parts of the country require different remedies.

I hear you different parts of the country require different remedies.
I grew up in Alaska, then moved to East Texas, spent some time in Deep South Texas, now I'm living in SE NM. Chasing predators everywhere I lived, they are basically the same.
Each of those areas had enough differences to make it interesting and has kept me from being complacent and I learn more every time I go out to hunt them.

Ed

I'm not positive but I think we all are hoping to continue to learn for the rest of our days . My Grandma told me it got easier for her to learn after she got to 94 because she could learn the same thing tomorrow that she had learned yesterday . She had a good sense of humor about it .

I'm not positive but I think we all are hoping to continue to learn for the rest of our days . My Grandma told me it got easier for her to learn after she got to 94 because she could learn the same thing tomorrow that she had learned yesterday . She had a good sense of humor about it .
If you're not learning, you're dying.

Ed

I like the Sierra Match 52gr hpbt. I have been shooting it at coyotes and varmints for years.

Rem 700 and 788 with 14T
55g Winchester SP
26-26.5g of Win 748
CCI 400 primer
Vel is 3000-3050 fps with 1/2" accuracy

rarely if ever shoots a hole through a coyote

Blue Dot Powder in the 223 using 40g Speer spire points, Sierra 40g HP, 12g(3000 fps)-14g(3200 fps) in a Rem 700 bolt gun does a very, very good job of not messing up hides. Blue dot loads should be weighed due to the large flakes that can bridge in a powder measure. I have never shot the 40g V max with the 40g loads, but I am sure that it would work well, keep them off the shoulders. I also worked up a load using blue dot with 55g Sierras and the accuracy node was at 2650 fps, killed well at short range of 125yds and under in Arizona, bonus of the Blue dot is it is much quieter than normal loads.

17 Remington with 25g bullets maybe the mack daddy fur friendly caliber and load. We shot a load of 22.5-23g of H322 at 3850 fps using Berger 25g Match, and this load did not blow up bob cats, either.