What’s your fur friendly coyote bullet

WYOHTF

Wondering what every one is using that's easy on fur for coyotes. Am interested in velocity, twist and bullets. Don't want this to get onto cartridge rant as we all have our favorites.

I'm running an older Winchester model 70 with a 20" barrel that has a 1:14 twist rate . I use 55 grain Sierra HPBT game king bullets at 2900 FPS MV . I now use H335 powder . When I was looking for a load that was fur friendly I tested it on jackrabbits till I got a load that didn't destroy them . It does well on fox and cats that way and is very good on coyote .

Here in WV, I hunt in small fields and in the woods so my shots are closer. I can have a coyote, fox or bobcat come in to a set so I was looking for a fur friendly bullet for something as small as a gray fox but capable of killing a coyote. A 50 gr Vmax in my .223 has done great. I've never had an exit wound on coyotes or foxes. Can't recall the velocity but I have a 1:7 twist Noveske barrel. Shoots great even with the fast twist. Benchmark powder. Don't recall how much.

Now that the coyotes have pretty much decimated our fox population, I quit shooting foxes. I just bought a box of 60 gr Vmax to try.

Wondering what every one is using that's easy on fur for coyotes. Am interested in velocity, twist and bullets. Don't want this to get onto cartridge rant as we all have our favorites.
17 hornet 1 in 9 twist 3650 fps Hornady 20 grain V-Max, it doesn't get any more fur friendly than this. I've killed about 10 so far in the few months I've had it, not to mention over 40 woodchucks.

I'm running an older Winchester model 70 with a 20" barrel that has a 1:14 twist rate . I use 55 grain Sierra HPBT game king bullets at 2900 FPS MV . I now use H335 powder . When I was looking for a load that was fur friendly I tested it on jackrabbits till I got a load that didn't destroy them . It does well on fox and cats that way and is very good on coyote .
22-250?

I like 20 cal for yotes a lot. 39-40 grain at 3800 isn't bad at all for damage. Have a friend who shoots around 500 a year with a 20 practical and that combo. Right now I take my 6.5 PRC to the field since I am hunting wolves as the primary and yotes are opportunity kills. I run a 135A tip for wolves. So far damage on wolf pelts are minimal, pretty happy. Kills from 30 yards to 750 on the prc for wolves. Most of the yotes I killed last year and this year are all over 500 so the 6.5 is perfect for those ranges and the small body. I have shot a pile of yotes and wolves with a 6.5-284 147 at 3020 fps from 25 ft to 1300. Most are fine for damage, a couple are a mess if you hit a shoulder or direct rib but generally the exit is 1-1.5" and the pelt can be sewn.

Last edited:
asd9055 , perhaps it is because you are running newer AR's . the older bolt actions had 1:14 and 1:12 twist rates . I don't remember offhand what the first M16's ran that Eugene Stoner designed but I think it was 1:14 with a 20" barrel . They were at that time designed to run the 55 grain bullets . It wasn't till we started running heaver bullets that they started running faster twist rates in the Armlite Rifles I also have an older Ruger in 22-250 that has a 1:14 twist and it also likes the 55 grain Sierra hpbt's . History of the AR and M16 family of rifles is interesting I'm glad to have been here to live some of it , today it is interesting that they run 1:7 ,1:8 and 1:9 twist rates commonly and up to 75 grain bullets when in the past say 50 years ago all you could find was a 55 grain bullet for the 223 and 5.56 rounds and mostly IMR 4320 powder was what every one used to load them with . After we got involved in Afghanistan the M16's and then at home the AR's as well as the rest of the things dealing with firearm evolved at a faster pace then before in our history not much good comes of war but that is one good thing that has .