Your Fur Rifle and load: Coyote, Fox, and Bobcats

In Truth if you want to preserve the Fur of a Coyote, Bobcat, Fox.................

There really is only one way to go and that's with a 17cal.

I shoot a 17 Hornet for Bobcats and Gray fox. My shots are always under 100 yds I shoot a 20gr vax at about 3700 out of my CZ reloads. I have taken Coyotes under 100 yds.......................its all the same Bullet placement is Key. I DONT take shots that I'm not sure about. You can try all you want shooting a .243 but it is not a fur rifle. Two Bobcats this season went for $787 Big toms with white bellies and lost of black spots.................I have a lot of Respect for these animals give them the respect they deserve and choose your Caliber wisely.

In Truth if you want to preserve the Fur of a Coyote, Bobcat, Fox.................

There really is only one way to go and that's with a 17cal.

I shoot a 17 Hornet for Bobcats and Gray fox. My shots are always under 100 yds I shoot a 20gr vax at about 3700 out of my CZ reloads. I have taken Coyotes under 100 yds.......................its all the same Bullet placement is Key. I DONT take shots that I'm not sure about. You can try all you want shooting a .243 but it is not a fur rifle. Two Bobcats this season went for $787 Big toms with white bellies and lost of black spots.................I have a lot of Respect for these animals give them the respect they deserve and choose your Caliber wisely.

I am in the 17HMR camp if I'm saving fur.

I shoot a 22-250, 55gr sbt with varget pushing them at 3800fps. if you hit spine it will do some damage but i have killed yotes out to 500 yards and dropped them dead. and most shots you have trouble finding the entrance and the exit is about the size of a dime up to a quarter. Its been a fantastic round for being fur friendly. never had the chance to shoot a cat or a fox with that round tho.

When I started coyote hunting we did not have all the good bullets we have now so I shot about a 1000 coyotes and cats with 52.gr.HPBTmatch sierra and hornady bullets.i you made great shots they still did not work the best, side shots exited a lot of the time, and lung shot coyotes would run a 100yds or so not the best at night when we got a lot of them.i shoot a 17.rem with berger bullets in front of 23.8grs.of varget this does best in my rifle.i have 800 plus coyotes with this gun and it works better for pelts and they don't run when hit in the lungs.i have tried hornady and rem bullets berger bullets work far better.

THEY WORK GREAT ON CATS,on fox you need them to face you,although a large red fox they work pretty good.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.