Best factory 300 win mag loads in a 1-11.2

Roke314

I was wondering if a few of you may have some suggestions on a few good factory loads for a 300wm in the 150 - 180 range??? The rifle I will be using is in the process of being built and looking for a place to start... The rifle is a blue printed 700 with a Proof research 24'' 1-11.2... The reason for choosing a 300wm is I just don't have the time to reload so I was looking for a caliber that would be somewhat universal for anything from Antelope to Elk... As this is my first attempt at long range (ish) hunting rifle I don't know if any of this information is relevant to the question asked but I will add it to give a better idea of what the rifle consist of.. As mentioned the action is a Remington 700 and will be blue printed, the barrel is on order from Proof Research 1-11.2 as recommended from the rep from PR it will finish at 24'' and the reason for the 24'' is I currently use a tikka t3 in 300wm with a 24'' and I find it to be a very handy length , The recoil lug is a PTG .250, The firing pin is being replaced with a Tubbs speed lock system, Trigger is a Timney 510 and bottom metal is also PTG, As far as the stock goes I've yet to order one and am still looking at few so any suggestions would be great...
Thanks in advanced for any and all info!!!

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Excellent choice in chambering, however, IIWY and not too late, I'd go with 1:10" and 26" barrel and take advantage of the heavier Berger VLDs with higher BCs -- 210s and 215s, and possibly the 230s -- and still stabilize the 150-180 bullet weights.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Excellent choice in chambering, however, IIWY and not too late, I'd go with 1:10" and 26" barrel and take advantage of the heavier Berger VLDs with higher BCs -- 210s and 215s, and possibly the 230s -- and still stabilize the 150-180 bullet weights.

+1 I find this to be very sound advice. Other then my long-range .308 Winchester that I use for 1000 yard fclass all the rest of my 30 caliber cartridges have been 1-10 twist to shoot anything from 150 gr. to 220 gr.

Thanks for the info guys! I think a little more research is needed on my end.. I should be able to change my order with PR I just placed it last week...

my experience loading for the 300 wm is that is is a very forgiving cartridge. easy to get a good load for. should do even better out of a custom barrel. a couple of factory loads i would try are the nosler 190 lrab and the 180 ab. these should do well out of a 1-11 even.

my experience loading for the 300 wm is that is is a very forgiving cartridge. easy to get a good load for. should do even better out of a custom barrel. a couple of factory loads i would try are the nosler 190 lrab and the 180 ab. these should do well out of a 1-11 even.

Stabilization for the 190 LRAB is marginal even for 1:10" according to Bryan Litz's test results >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/nosler-lr-accubonds-bc-testing-results-137554/

I bought a Savage FCP chambered in .300 WM over the weekend. Saturday I shot 20 rounds of Rem 180 corelokt factory ammo thru it in prone position off of a harris swivel that I could not get to tighten up. I'll fix that with a posi lock. The rifle shot ok, 5 shot groups all averaged 1.5" @ 100 yards. This being a 1-10 twist I plan on building a good load using the 208 Amax's I've got on hand. love those 1-10 twist 30 cals with heavy bullets.

Sounds like the 1-10 is the way to go... How about barrel length? I placed my order for a 24'' like I was saying my Tikka 300wm seems just right for packing around and my comfort zone really isn't much beyond 500yds on game?

I like 26" barrels. To me 2 more inches is not a big deal and I think it has it's advantages in load development and performance.

I was wondering if a few of you may have some suggestions on a few good factory loads for a 300wm in the 150 - 180 range??? The rifle I will be using is in the process of being built and looking for a place to start... The rifle is a blue printed 700 with a Proof research 24'' 1-11.2... The reason for choosing a 300wm is I just don't have the time to reload so I was looking for a caliber that would be somewhat universal for anything from Antelope to Elk... As this is my first attempt at long range (ish) hunting rifle I don't know if any of this information is relevant to the question asked but I will add it to give a better idea of what the rifle consist of.. As mentioned the action is a Remington 700 and will be blue printed, the barrel is on order from Proof Research 1-11.2 as recommended from the rep from PR it will finish at 24'' and the reason for the 24'' is I currently use a tikka t3 in 300wm with a 24'' and I find it to be a very handy length , The recoil lug is a PTG .250, The firing pin is being replaced with a Tubbs speed lock system, Trigger is a Timney 510 and bottom metal is also PTG, As far as the stock goes I've yet to order one and am still looking at few so any suggestions would be great...
Thanks in advanced for any and all info!!!

i have a long action remington 700P in 300wm, and i put a PSE Composites "Hunter" stock on it. very light and top quality.

PSE-Composites

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.