Best 200gr for a .300 Win Mag

Overkill338

I'm bored and trying to research bullets. Right now I have a ton of 200gr Gamekings on hand. But I'm wondering which one would be best. There is the A-Frame, Accubond, Gameking, Barnes TSX, and the Berger VLD.

I'm only trying to achieve 2800-2850fps, so that shouldn't be hard to get with some Retumbo or RL25. Is the 210 VLD meant to be used in the .30 Super Mags ? Being still pretty new to handloading, Im going to use these Gamekings as practice, but I want to use a 200gr for my all around load (Whitetail,Black bear and Elk). We are planning a move to Montana in a couple of years, so maybe it will be of more use to me there.

So I guess what I'm asking for now, is which bullet will hold up the best if I hit a Whitetail at 100yds or under ?

If you are looking for an all around bullet for white tail to Elk, than I think you would be hard pressed to beat the Nosler accubond for a bullet that will preform at any range. The VLD is ment for use by anyone who wants to shoot long shots.

Thanks Britz

Not that Im against LRS, but as it stands now, Im staying within my abilities and practice. Which is 300-400yds max. I will move on out later.

Last edited by a moderator:
My factory SAKO 75 Greywolf has been shooting under an inch @ 100 yds. with
210 Berger VLD with 80.o H1000 in Lapua brass and Fed 210 Match Gold primer. Average 2810 fps with very low ES & SD

Some of the groups have been 1/2"

Recoil is extreme !

I've had great results and accuracy with the 200gr SMK's out of my 300win.

If 400 is your max, than any 200 gr isn't going to make much difference. You really start to notice the extra BC when you get out past 500. However, if you are going to try to get into LRS, than you may want to find a good load right away with a bullet that will also work for LRS. Gamekings will work fine, but I do think the AB's are better for the longer shots.

Thanks for the replies. Cold weather is hendering my load testing. Waiting on my chrono before I get started anyway.

I was at the gunrange today shooting Berger 210's over 80.0 grains H1000, five thou from rifling. I'd loaded 2 diiferent lots ....one with Federal 210 and the other with Federal 215 Magnum. Both primers are the Gold Medal Match

100 yard 5 shot groups...
measurement is based on the best "3" shots of each group

Fed 210 avg. 2853 ES>35.67 SD>13.11 .392"
Fed 215 avg. 2860 ES>24.32 SD> 9.38 .514"

I'm impressed with the Fed 210 primer and see no advantage to using a magnum primer with this powder/bullet

The rifle is all factory and kicks like a mule with this load combination.
I'm using a one piece rest cradle with weights to minimize the recoil.

Todays temperature was -8 celcius
Edmonton , Alberta

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.