Best Hunting Factory Ammo For My New 300 Win Mag?

I tried HSM ammo once in my 6.8 SPC just to get the brass for hand loading. They used a powder that didn't give complete burn in my 20" barrel. All the loose powder in the chamber started giving me feeding issues. Accuracy sucked too. Total junk.

I always tell people, if you want to know how well your rifle will shoot with factory ammo, pick up a box of Federal Premium ammunition. Some of the best and most consistent ammo out there. Thats the only factory ammo I would use in my 300 Win Mag until I started hand loading many years ago.

I tried HSM ammo once in my 6.8 SPC just to get the brass for hand loading. They used a powder that didn't give complete burn in my 20" barrel. All the loose powder in the chamber started giving me feeding issues. Accuracy sucked too. Total junk.

I always tell people, if you want to know how well your rifle will shoot with factory ammo, pick up a box of Federal Premium ammunition. Some of the best and most consistent ammo out there. Thats the only factory ammo I would use in my 300 Win Mag until I started hand loading many years ago.

Which Federal Premium do you used in your 300 Win Mag?

Which Federal Premium do you used in your 300 Win Mag?

I used the 180gr Partitions to start and later used the 180gr Accubonds.

Dont rule out their cheaper ammo either. I've heard good things with the new Fusion line and one time a buddy of mine got the regular blue box Federal ammo to shoot better than Federal Premium

I used the 180gr Partitions to start and later used the 180gr Accubonds.

Dont rule out their cheaper ammo either. I've heard good things with the new Fusion line and one time a buddy of mine got the regular blue box Federal ammo to shoot better than Federal Premium

I will definitely shoot some Federals our of the rifle when I do my testing, Fusions are readily available here and they are not too expensive and I like that! :eek:)

I will definitely shoot some Federals our of the rifle when I do my testing, Fusions are readily available here and they are not too expensive and I like that! :eek:)

Even tho you are using factory ammo, be sure to keep all of your brass. Once fired 300 Win Mag brass is easy to sell on the shooting sites. 100 pieces of brass can go from anywhere between $40-$75. Just depends on the brand and what people are in need of

Even tho you are using factory ammo, be sure to keep all of your brass. Once fired 300 Win Mag brass is easy to sell on the shooting sites. 100 pieces of brass can go from anywhere between $40-$75. Just depends on the brand and what people are in need of

Wow I had not idea brass was worth so much, if I could find powder in this province loading my own would be worth doing for sure. Alas we have a liberal anti-gun freak in power here, so life will suck until he is thrown out of office, hopefully in three years if we are lucky!

Did you let them know?

Contact Us

I did not. In my haste to ensure that I did not use them for reloading, I crushed the necks with pliers so I wouldn't use the brass for reloading. I did take a photo though.

Attachments

• IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 79
I did not. In my haste to ensure that I did not use them for reloading, I crushed the necks with pliers so I wouldn't use the brass for reloading. I did take a photo though.

You should have, they are small run business and are very customer oriented.

I personally would have never fired all 20 just to find out 16 are cracked ... but that's just me. In addition, I would have sent it all back to them.

If it was a bad batch, you're helping them too.

FEENIX,

I was sighting in the Savage the day I went though the box of HSM and didn't even notice the cracks until I unloaded my range bag later that night.

I now inspect each piece of fired brass when I'm at the range. I was lucky not to have had anything bad happen that day.

I've got another box of the .338 LM at the house. I'll be sure to let them know if I have the same problem with the new box.

Exactly, Safety, safety, safety...

Them HSM factory loads are starting to sound and look dangerous to me!

All loaded ammo, factory and handload, has the potential to be dangerous. Murphy does not discriminate.

I had split/cracked casing from various manufacturers too but always stopped firing the first sign or two of fault.

All loaded ammo, factory and handload, has the potential to be dangerous. Murphy does not discriminate.

I had split/cracked casing from various manufacturers too but always stopped firing the first sign or two of fault.

Hasn't happened to me yet, but all I have shot to date are Winchester 30-06 Power Points in 165 Gr. and Nosler Trophy Grade Accubonds in 180 Gr. out of my 300 WSM.

Maybe I have been lucky???

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.