Tikka t3x 300 win mag & factory ammo

klejeski

Hi guys looking to help out a friend

He bought a take a T3 in 300 win mag and is looking to start shooting it wondering what these rifles like with factory ammunition 180 grain 200 grain please give me your recommendations so I can forward to him

Call me old school, which I am, but the 308 was made for 150gn. The 30-06 was made for 150 and 168gn. The 300WM was made for the 180gr. I know they want to push 200 plus with the 300WM but if I want to go there I'll grab my 338 and shoot 210's or 215's. Yes, my rifles favor the old twist and if I was to build new I might change. Right now I don't have or want too. A lot of great old Sako's that do what they are supposed to do.

My wife, nephew and hunt'n buddy's tikka's like any quality off the shelf ammo as in 1"@ 100yds. They're not 300's but they are tikka's. Loaded some Berger VLD's for them and got better results depending on conditions. Have your friend research Berger's loaded ammo, have heard good things about em. I'm going to try their 215 loaded ammo for my Rem 300wm. I currently load the Berger 215 but want to do a comparison.

Also look at Hornady ELDX ammo. Wife's tikka, I have to admit shoots those better than my Berger hand loads.

2nd on the Barnes Vortex 180 ttsx, a friend of mine has this rifle and I'm amazed at how well it shoots this stuff!

Wondering what you ended up going with. I have a T3x 300 wm and it does not like 200gr ELD-x as much as I would like. Because of the 1:11 twist I am going to try 165/180 gr Nosler Partitions and also try 168/185 Berger Hybrid Hunter. The Barnes twist calculator gives these bullets high scores from the 1:11 twist. All of these are available in the Federal Premium ammo. Keep me posted.
Tikka T3x 300wm.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.