Best factory ammo to site new 300 WSM?

Moby75165

Howdy gents,

I've got a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM
I've recently had it Hydpdipped and next weekend will get to the range to zero in.

I have 3 questions:
1. Best Factory Ammo for an initial sighting - (new optic)
2. Brass source for best brass to build a round
3. Best components other than brass ie- Powder, Bullet (including weight) and primer.

I know there are always multiple answers to the above.
I'm seeking bullet weight for long-range hunting at first, target later.
I'd love both suggestions if you wouldn't mind so I don't have to ask in the future.

My goal:
1/4 inch MOA (or as close as possible) target
1/2 inch MOA hunting (assuming a heavier round might have a little more spread)

Attachments

• Rifle Woodland camp 1.jpg
    Rifle Woodland camp 1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 355
  • Rifle Woodland camo 3.jpg
    Rifle Woodland camo 3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Rifle Woodland camp 2.jpg
    Rifle Woodland camp 2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 363
Hornady precision hunter ammunition has proven to be very intolerant to many rifles I have tried it in regardless of the caliber. I would give them a look.

as for reloading components I've had the best luck with these in my 300 wsm:

Winchester brass
Hodgdon H4350, Alliant reloader 22, & 23.
190 Berger Hvld's, 200 gr. Hornady ELDX. 150 gr. Sierra game king

good luck on your new rifle, I love the wsm!

Hornady precision hunter ammunition has proven to be very intolerant to many rifles I have tried it in regardless of the caliber. I would give them a look.

as for reloading components I've had the best luck with these in my 300 wsm:

Winchester brass
Hodgdon H4350, Alliant reloader 22, & 23.
190 Berger Hvld's, 200 gr. Hornady ELDX. 150 gr. Sierra game king

good luck on your new rifle, I love the wsm!
Thanks partner,
Will give Hornady a look for next weekend

I bought 3 x 20 Federal power shoks to run in my rifle & to reuse the brass & they were terrible.
Out of 60, 30 wouldn't even chamber, out of the fired cases when I tried to reload them the primers were lose so junked them!

Using Norma for reloading, great stuff!

Id get some of this so you can reuse the brass

That's a great deal, considering here in Aus just 50 Norma cases will set you back $135AU

Last edited:
Last year I had bought a box of Hornady 200gr ELDX for barrel break in and just to see how they shoot. They were ok but wanted better. Groups were about 1moa. I bought 100 pcs of 300wsm Winchester brass and was not impressed. About 25 out of the 100 were junk. It was cheap at $30 per 50pcs but if I was to do it over again I would spend the extra money for the Norma or Nosler brass. Both appear to be hard to find right now though. I ended up settling on Win brass, Fed 215M, RL16 & the 200gr Edge TLR.

Another thought, for the price of 100 pcs of the Norma or Nosler you could buy several hundred Winchester and prep & sort. Plan on a very careful inspection of each case, neck turning, weight sorting etc as the Win brass I had was all over the place. By the time I sorted it all out I had about 50 pcs to work with.

Last edited:
1) I have the same rifle in 300wsm. My Tikka, while I can dial in excellent 165gn bullets (Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped, Hornady GMX), absolutely prefers 175-180gn class bullets, particularly the 175gn Berger VLD Hunting which killed the elk below. Hit high on the shoulder (my bad) but jellied the lungs and dropped her in 20 yards. Although it is not "high end" ammo, I would seriously considering trying out how it shoots the Federal Fusion 180gn factory ammo. The 100s of reviews from users can attest to the stuff.

2) Like JD126 said, it is sad to have to rely on Winchester brass, with a rate of roughly 5 pieces per 50 inspected as bad seen in my experience with both rifle and handgun brass. I went with getting Norma brass thru Midway and it's been very consistent. Budsgunshop.com and Brownell's are also good sources.

3) I use CCI 250 magnum primers for everything.
DSC00003 (2).JPG

One key piece of advice for any Tikka T3 Lite in heavier calibers! Get a Limbsaver model 10011 recoil pad. Try Walmart.com or Ebay to get it for about $25. It is a HUGE improvement over the stock pad, custom fit and takes about 2 mins to install. I will venture to say that it will remove recoil as a factor in your shooting. Cheers and enjoy this elk killer.

Howdy gents,

I've got a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM
I've recently had it Hydpdipped and next weekend will get to the range to zero in.

I have 3 questions:
1. Best Factory Ammo for an initial sighting - (new optic)
2. Brass source for best brass to build a round
3. Best components other than brass ie- Powder, Bullet (including weight) and primer.

I know there are always multiple answers to the above.
I'm seeking bullet weight for long-range hunting at first, target later.
I'd love both suggestions if you wouldn't mind so I don't have to ask in the future.

My goal:
1/4 inch MOA (or as close as possible) target
1/2 inch MOA hunting (assuming a heavier round might have a little more spread)

Couple questions
What is twist rate. Assume tikka has 11 twist
-how far are you realistically wanting to shoot at game or target.
-what game are u hunting
-what climates are you hunting in

With that being said
-Spend the money and buy high end brass. ATG, Gunworks, or others that are high end. Plenty of people on this site will recommend quality brass.

-accubond, Berger, are good bullets that will kill anything with a bullet weight of 180-210 grain.

powder
Big fan of h1000, retumbo, rl 26, 23, H1000 will provide the best cold to hot tolerate powder of the bunch.

as far as factory ammo to break a gun in and site it on paper. What ever is the cheapest.
Cheers.