Best Hunting Factory Ammo For My New 300 Win Mag?

I have had good luck with the HSM in the 168 Bergers with my 300WSM in the last few years.The rifle is a used HS Precision I bought here with a Zeiss Hd 5 with Kenton turret.
Nevada (December) deer 360 yards laying down-got up and fell over.
Montana deer one at 75 yards and one at 450 yards -no suffering!
Nevada antelope(81") at 460 yards and DRT.
Nevada 375 class elk at 270 yards first shot right front crease-wobbled ,next shot dead on wobbled,next shot left crease.Total distance traveled 10 feet.Guide said he was dead first shot but I was excited :D
So far I have been **** happy with them.

Last edited:
If you are serious about testing than I would suggest testing the rounds right out of the box. A reloading scale, a set of calipers with an ogive comparator will allow you to see which ammo is most consistent and separate them into similar groups. A concentricity gauge is also useful to identify and correct bullet case alignment. I hand load 180 grain E-tips in my fathers 300 wm for elk for the extra toughness and good accuracy and I wouldn't go any lighter especially for moose. I know winchester supreme loads them as well as nosler trophy grade.

I have had good luck with the HSM in the 168 Bergers with my 300WSM in the last few years.The rifle is a used HS Precision I bought here with a Zeiss Hd 5 with Kenton turret.
Nevada (December) deer 360 yards laying down-got up and fell over.
Montana deer one at 75 yards and one at 450 yards -no suffering!
Nevada antelope(81") at 460 yards and DRT.
Nevada 375 class elk at 270 yards first shot right front crease-wobbled ,next shot dead on wobbled,next shot left crease.Total distance 10 feet.Guide said he was dead first shot but I was excited :D
So far I have been **** happy with them.

LOL! Guess I will be giving them a look see. :)

I recently inspected some various makes and calibers of factory ammo including Winchester, Remington, HSM, etc. The only one that showed any consistency as well as excellent concentricity was Nosler. Everything else was worse than anything I could do loading myself. I was somewhat surprised that no one else was close.

Perhaps I should be just as surprised that some of these inconsistently measured loads easily shoot sub-moa in a couple of my rifles!

I recently inspected some various makes and calibers of factory ammo including Winchester, Remington, HSM, etc. The only one that showed any consistency as well as excellent concentricity was Nosler. Everything else was worse than anything I could do loading myself. I was somewhat surprised that no one else was close.

Perhaps I should be just as surprised that some of these inconsistently measured loads easily shoot sub-moa in a couple of my rifles!

I have killed lots of animals, never loaded a high caliber round myself. I do not believe it made any difference to the poor animal, they were dead. Like you I find factory Nosler to be excellent.

Have you noticed the sound they make when they hit flesh? A terrible WACKING sound, for sure! :)

I have killed lots of animals, never loaded a high caliber round myself. I do not believe it made any difference to the poor animal, they were dead. Like you I find factory Nosler to be excellent.

Have you noticed the sound they make when they hit flesh? A terrible WACKING sound, for sure! :)

I personally have never heard such a sound (or perhaps never noticed/paid attention to), I am too busy concentrating on my shot, besides the deafening sound out of my rifles esp. with muzzle brakes will drown that noise anyways not to mention in long ranges. Perhaps when I finally start hunting with my suppressor.

I personally have never heard such a sound (or perhaps never noticed/paid attention to), I am too busy concentrating on my shot, besides the deafening sound out of my rifles esp. with muzzle brakes will drown that noise anyways not to mention in long ranges. Perhaps when I finally start hunting with my suppressor.

Yep them muzzle breaks sure are loud BANG!!!then welcome to the world of tinnitus, ringggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

Trust me them Accubonds make a sound like no other, especially when the shot is taken under 200 yards.

When you do not use a muzzle break, after the whacking sound if you listen closely you can even hear the moose saying the Lords Prayer followed by a few coughs. :cool:

Yep them muzzle breaks sure are loud BANG!!!then welcome to the world of tinnitus, ringggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

Trust me them Accubonds make a sound like no other, especially when the shot is taken under 200 yards.

When you do not use a muzzle break, after the whacking sound if you listen closely you can even hear the moose saying the Lords Prayer followed by a few coughs. :cool:

I didn't start using MBs until 2004 and even then it's the same as my previous response. And yes, I used NABs for along time before switching to Bergers for my .300 WMs and .300 WSM. I still load NABs in my .338 WM.

I spent my 1st 10 years around figther jets so I know all about high DB noises and protection.

No tinnitus for me, thanks!

Unless you are an Indian or as some people prefer to say a Native American, then us other Native Americans (3rd generation myself) are not allowed to hunt in Canada.

Really sucks, to be a white Native American in Canada!

You mean the people that are decimating the moose and elk populations in Saskatchewan and Manitoba because of their unrestricted hunting privileges and ability to hunt all year long and at night, and believe that fetus ungulates are a delicacy?

Yep I know them very well, in fact one of my partners was one, we owned a Natural Spring Water Company together, nice chap.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.