Best Hunting Factory Ammo For My New 300 Win Mag?

KillerBee

Hi guys,

Just bought a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag. I do not load so I want to test factory ammo in order to discover which shoots best out of the barrel and to do the data collection in order to etch the turret on my Huskemaw.

Would like to hear your opinions on which is the best factory cartridge/bullet and in what grain, to shoot up to 1000 yards on moose and elk?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Just bought a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 300 Win Mag. I do not load so I want to test factory ammo in order to discover which shoots best out of the barrel and to do the data collection in order to etch the turret on my Huskemaw.

Would like to hear your opinions on which is the best factory cartridge/bullet and in what grain, to shoot up to 1000 yards on moose and elk?

Thanks!

Check out HSM's and ABM's offerings in 210g Berger VLDs and Hornady's new ELD-X 200g.

Check out HSM's and ABM's offerings in 210g Berger VLDs and Hornady's new ELD-X 200g.

Hey FEENIX, would you happen to know if they come in Factory ammo, I do not load my own ammo, if so who offers them and what are they called.

Thanks and wishing and a stellar 2016!

As Feenix said…..ABM and HSM make the precision loaded factory ammunition you are looking for with high BC bullets for long range shooting/hunting.

At the cost of loaded premium shells you might be better off to buy yourself a kit and get started !! At $75 a box it won't take much shootin' to add up to the $300 or so you'll need plus a trimmer..there's nothing to it and I'm sure someone in your area will gladly show you, there's really very little tolearn n the books today are about perfect to get you started, besides you'll enjoy your new rifle even more!!!

+2 on the HSM and ABM. If you're going to be serious about 1K shooting it would be in your best interest to get started in reloading. . .or find someone who does. Fine tuning, lots of practice and consistency is the name of the game in the long range business! Plus, buying boxes upon boxes of factory ammo will be very costly in a 300WM. Just my humble opinion. Congrats and good luck with the new "boom stick". Happy New Year.

Just checked out the Load Data Information on the HSM Trophy Gold on the HSM Website, very impressive in both 185 and especially the 210 Gr.

Then I did a search to see who offers them in 210 Gr. in Alberta, only Cabelas do and only in 185 Gr.
bash.gif

Have you hunted with these bullets and if so what kind of internal damage do they do on game?

At the cost of loaded premium shells you might be better off to buy yourself a kit and get started !! At $75 a box it won't take much shootin' to add up to the $300 or so you'll need plus a trimmer..there's nothing to it and I'm sure someone in your area will gladly show you, there's really very little tolearn n the books today are about perfect to get you started, besides you'll enjoy your new rifle even more!!!

I thought about loading last year then after doing some research I gave up on the idea because good powder and other supplies are very hard to obtain and always seems to be back ordered and not available. It's time like these when I wish I was born in the USA! :cool:

Hey FEENIX, would you happen to know if they come in Factory ammo, I do not load my own ammo, if so who offers them and what are they called.

Thanks and wishing and a stellar 2016!

Sorry for not responding sooner but others good you covered. Yes, they are all factory loads and you order directly from them; they might also have authorized distributors.

Happy New Year to you and your family as well. Cheers!

Have you hunted with these bullets and if so what kind of internal damage do they do on game?

I've hunted with the HSM 185 factory a few years ago just to try and harvested muleys and antelope.

I have a few boxes of 210s but have not hunted with it yet; I went from 190 (.300 WM) to 215 (.300 WSM) - harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with the 190 and muley buck at 525 yards with the 215 - the internal damage is awesome.

Cheers!

I've hunted with the HSM 185 factory a few years ago just to try and harvested muleys and antelope.

I have a few boxes of 210s but have not hunted with it yet; I went from 190 (.300 WM) to 215 (.300 WSM) - harvested a MT bull elk at 931 yards with the 190 and muley buck at 525 yards with the 215 - the internal damage is awesome.

Cheers!

That's Great shoot'n man especially on the elk!

I checked out a video on game with them HSM VLD's, all the animals dropped in their tracks, the internal damage is awesome "I like them, I like them ALOT!" hehe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8j-7D-bubQ

I also like what I saw with their ELD-X, probably not available in Canada until 2050 though! :eek:(

Last edited:
I've only tried HSM once and won't use it again. I bought a box of the 250g for my Savage .338LM.

16 of the 20 had cracks in the neck after the initial firing. Not sure if I get a bad batch, but I'll never try them again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.