Best all around bullet for the 300 Win Mag?

Best all around 300 Win Mag bullet?

• 200gr Nosler Accubond

Votes: 33 32.0%
  • 200gr Nosler Partition

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • 210gr Nosler Accubond

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • 180gr Barnes TTSX

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 45 43.7%

• Total voters
I am talking deer to moose, plains game and brown bears. I used to rely upon the 200gr Nosler Partition, but I have found other bullets that shoot a bit flatter at longer ranges. Thinking I should have added some of the Berger Bullets, I have some 190s I haven't tried yet, I don't hunt with them, but I like the 208gr AMax bullets too. Just looking for some opinions so I can do some more research and shooting.
The New Federal Ascent 200gr Bullet
74.0 @ H4831
WLR Primer
WW brass

I am talking deer to moose, plains game and brown bears. I used to rely upon the 200gr Nosler Partition, but I have found other bullets that shoot a bit flatter at longer ranges. Thinking I should have added some of the Berger Bullets, I have some 190s I haven't tried yet, I don't hunt with them, but I like the 208gr AMax bullets too. Just looking for some opinions so I can do some more research and shooting.
I used NP for a long time, then transitioned to NAB (I did not care for LRAB) until I finally settled with Berger 190, 210, 215.

I used NP for a long time, then transitioned to NAB (I did not care for LRAB) until I finally settled with Berger 190, 210, 215.
I used Berger's years ago love the accuracy of the classic hunter bullets but after a few caribou I did not like the meat damage.
The Accubond I agree stays together excellent accuracy 225gr AB in my 338 Win has accounted for many moose.
In my 300 win HMR the Fed Ascent 200gr is what I use now excellent bonded action and a very good BC great accurate bullet. Before that one 200gr AB is what I used.

I really appreciate all of the votes and the comments. When I read articles in magazines, it's always in the back of mind, the wonder at how much advertising money does said bullet manufacturer spend there? On here I get input from people who know what has worked for them, not saying it makes it any easier, or that all magazine writers are just lying to me, but I like to see a broad spectrum of results from the different brands. I doubt there is one "perfect" bullet, but I sure would like to lay in a large supply of the best one I can get.
If they shoot good in your rifle, the Barnes 190, 200 and 212 LRXs or other heavy Monos will provide great close range performance and great penetration and wound channels out to 600-700 yards. The top end really is limited to where you run below 2000 fps. It usually takes around 1900fps-2000fps to get reliable expansion on the monos. They will handle everything from the tiny African antelope up to a big bear, not that a 300 Win is perfect bear medicine but with a well placed shot it will do fine. All the African PHs I've asked about bullets all have spoke well of the various Barnes TSX-LRX bullets and African game is fairly tough. I did it one year walking around SCI and DSC. Also, I have been able to easily stock up on the 127gr 6.5mm LRX. I plan on using it in Africa in August. Previously I used the 180gr TTSX in a 300 WSM for plains game. I got full pass throughs on all animals shot through the shoulder area. I lost a bullet in a Zebra that was shot close to head-on right on the point of the shoulder. The zebra went about 20 yards and expired quickly. For western game in the US I shoot Bergers because shots are typically long and I like the DRT effect a Berger has, but I wouldn't use them on a big bear.

Wondering why the Berger 208 hybrid isn't mentioned much. I find that they work very well and are accurate?

I use to use the 200 gr Nosler Part with IMR 7828 in my 300 WM. Done the job but last few years I've been using the 175 Barnes LRX loaded with a max charge of RL-26 with a velocity of 3225 ft/sec from my 24" barrel. Great load in my rifle and very accurate. JME

You will find great options with hammer, Berger, and accubonds. They all have their pros and cons. The 215 Berger has a solid track record (just make sure the tip is clear), the hammer 181 shoots like a laser, and the accubond 180/200 is arguably the best all around bullet. Find one that you're gun loves and its all good.

I used the 180gr Nosler Part for years..........game from deer to moose

Now I use the 175gr Barnes LRX with Reloader 22 for my Alaska moose.......in my 300 Win Mag.

In my 338 Win I use the Barnes TTSX TAC 225gr with Reloader 19.
I know this is an old post, but mind sharing your 175/RL22 recipie?

Best Bullet I have used is the Federal 200gr Ascent bullet with H4831 @ 74.0 with WLR primers in WW cases.
41A16E13-FC55-421E-8AF9-09A9DFF4C26D.jpeg

Last edited:
I know this is an old post, but mind sharing your 175/RL22 recipie?
68.9 of RL 22
WW brass,federal 215,coal 3.465, .100 off lands, 3231fps, barnes 175LRX excellent bullet in 30-06 and 300 WM.

Also IMR 4831 @ 74.0 with WLR primers and WW cases.

Last edited: