Best cleaners

I recently bought a used rifle with a barrel that sounds pretty bad, but probably not as bad as yours. I ran out of cleaner trying to get it clean, so I'll try some of these suggestions. I need to get it taken care of.

READ THIS
I'm not smart just OCD about cleaning.
No reason to use sweet's or the oil lung burners anymore.
Bore Tech general cleaner is awesome, get's a little messy but when I have a stubborn ugly mess of a bore, It's the stuff.
Wipe-out or the other foamy stuff is AWESOME and easy for light fouler's or daily post shooting sessions. My go to.
Hoppe's makes a couple spray thngs, one is non-toxic and it's pretty darn good, not aggressive but again for light fouling weapons, like my Bartlein's, good stuff.
KG-12 copper remover. When it absolutely, positively, has to be removed in 5 swipes. I've never seen anythingt like it. Have 5 or 6 heavy copper fouler's, and 5-10 swipes of a patch wrapped around an aluminum nylon brush and it' like a magic freaking wand. If you can find it, by two. The carbon stuff works good, all their stuff does, it's just a process and I'd rather squirt foam, wait 10 minutes, scrub and rinse.
I gave away a big box of cleaners to my range after I tried EVERYTHING. In your shop you only need wipe out, bore tech all-purpose or whatever, and KG-12 for your copper stripper. Cleaning will be fun again. C
I'm going to place an order to get a few solvents listed by members thanks for all the recommendations!

Have patience and keep at it. Don't use the stainless steel brush or steel wool. They will not give you what you want.

Kg1 for carbon
KG 12 for copper

both are incredible. You can plug a barrel and fill it with KG12for a day or two. Eats Barnes bullets. No effect on steel.

Another vote for KG12 and KG1

Another one I like is Sweets 7.62 but you have to be careful it is very aggressive on steel and cleaning brushes, speaking of which a good tight fitting bronze brush is a must, remember to clean the brush after use or you wont have much brush left after these solvents get through with them, nylon brushes in my opinion do nothing except massage the bore they cannot compete with the scrubbing action of bronze.
BB

I recently bought a used rifle with a barrel that sounds pretty bad, but probably not as bad as yours. I ran out of cleaner trying to get it clean, so I'll try some of these suggestions. I need to get it taken care of.
On a good note I bought a used action off this forum and a used 308 barrel from another member and the gunsmith I took them over could only say wow that barrel is perfect under visual inspection and the action was as nice a Remington action as he'd ever seen!

If it smells like ammonia it will get the copper out. I've used sweets and it works great. I recently switched to Slip 2000 and I cleaned all the copper out of my 28 Nosler with 2 wet patches and about 60 stokes with a nylon bore brush. I've heard Do not leave ammonia in your bore over night that it will attack the steel. I've left mild cleaners like Hoppes but never the strong stuff. Be sure to oil patch after using them or it will rust.

Without a borescope this is much more difficult.
Remington 10x, jb borepaste, and iosso paste is where I'd start. Then kg12 or cr10 - followed up by wipeout.
If that doesn't work, get some lapping compound.

I

i could feel a rough spot about the throat area to maybe an inch further down the barrel. Now that I'm not getting the wicked black carbon powder fouling, could that have been the dreaded carbon ring I've read about? Never seen one before but it felt just like an o-ring or 2 in the throat area. It's finally cleaned up now but still making patches look like blue cool aide!
Put the barrel in a vice use a good stainless steel brush with plenty hoppes#9 and lots and lots of elbow grease then wrap brush with 4-0 steel wool and lots and lots of elbow grease again with hoppes#9 then patch it until they come out white, always worked for me and I've seen some bad ones. Good luck

I recently tried some products from KG Industries and was very impressed. I used KG-1 carbon remover, KG-2 bore polish, and KG-3 cleaner /degreaser. Bores cleaned up quickly and were bright and shinny when checked with a borescope. I have used butchs, bore tech, wipe-out patch-out, J-B"s bore paste in the past with decent results as well. None of those seemed to work as quickly as the KG industries products though.

Put the barrel in a vice use a good stainless steel brush with plenty hoppes#9 and lots and lots of elbow grease then wrap brush with 4-0 steel wool and lots and lots of elbow grease again with hoppes#9 then patch it until they come out white, always worked for me and I've seen some bad ones. Good luck
I'm thinking tomorrow it'll get the vice and action wrench if you know what I mean!

Make sure your cleaning jags and brushes are not brass. They will leave a blue residue on your patches. You have to use something other than brass for the jags, such as Bore-Tech "proof positive" attachments. Even nylon brushes will leave a blue residue if the metal core is brass.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.