Best cleaners

What are the best copper and powder cleaners? I picked up a Used 270wsm and the accuracy wasn't up to snuff. I suspected a fouled bore, well I'm on day number 4 of scrubbing and soaking with butch's bore shine and M-pro7. Even letting it soak over night and thru the day while I'm at work! No end in sight. I was starting to wonder if the barrel was cast iron and coming off on my patches. I have finally gotten down to blue patches so I know I'm getting copper now? Any suggestions?
Use some CLR same stuff you would For lime and calcium buildup on faucets and showerheads. Put it on a page run it in and let it soak and then scrub the hell out of it coming back with the Boretec carbon and then eliminator in the barrel. The CLR will help Break up with carbon ring.

Use some CLR same stuff you would For lime and calcium buildup on faucets and showerheads. Put it on a page run it in and let it soak and then scrub the hell out of it coming back with the Boretec carbon and then eliminator in the barrel. The CLR will help Break up with carbon ring.
This is a great secret on Carbon. Just try a little on your barrel crown after you unscrew your brake or can.
Key is NOT to let Carbon get ahead of you.

"Different strokes for different folks," John Browning. = a lot of good advice supra. It appears that you've got the cast iron like carbon out. Dreaded ring around the collar (chamber). I like the adherence ability of foam cleaners. I've only used Wipe-Out foam (there are others). Because foam can foam over at the chamber or your bore guide, I tape ~6" of clear tubing to Wipeout's spray tube with the tubing's OD ~ the ID of my bore guide. Holding the rifle up at a slight angle (Gravity Factor), I start spraying in the Wipeout. When some foam/liquid does come out of the muzzle, I restrict its opening. When the barrel's full, I lay the rifle down with the muzzle sloped down very slightly. After 30 minutes, I roll the rifle over to the other side. I give it another 30 minutes. For your rifle, you could leave the wipeout in for several hours. Next, I run some clean patches through the barrel until clean and dry. I then finish up with a light coating of Tetra oil. 🍻

Last edited:
I think its like "this"

if there were, say, 1 million rifle shooters

There is 1 million different ways to clean a rifle.

It doesnt matter as long as the shooter is happy

All these are great suggestions. When things are bad like that I'm impatient and grab the IOSSO bore paste or JB bore paste and load a patch up with it. Wrap it around an undersized IOSSO nylon brush and get stroking. This has not failed me yet. Of course this is after I have already tried with Wipeout, Carb Out and C4. If those don't get it in short order I head for the IOSSO bore paste. Without a bore cam you don't know how bad it is until you get in there and fail.

Feed your OCD. Get a Teslong borescope $50-$75 on Amazon. Search the forums here for more info. You don't know what you have or how things really work until you can see.
Personally I have had great results with Wipe Out Accelerator and Wipe Out Foam left overnight. JB for scrub if absolutely needed.

Feed your OCD. Get a Teslong borescope $50-$75 on Amazon. Search the forums here for more info. You don't know what you have or how things really work until you can see.
Personally I have had great results with Wipe Out Accelerator and Wipe Out Foam left overnight. JB for scrub if absolutely needed.
DEfinatley a MUST have item

Try using a nylon brush. I was using Bronze brushes kept getting blue patches then the light came on the brush was causing it after a couple days scrubbing I decided to try a nylon one no more blue

Like most on here, Ive tried most everything on the market looking for what is "best". I hate cleaning rifles and focus on what offers the best combo of performance and relative ease.

Bore-Tech Eliminator is the best thing I've tried and all I've used for the last couple of years. I'm in the group that cleans after every range session so I typically don't have to deal with excessive build up.

Try using a nylon brush. I was using Bronze brushes kept getting blue patches then the light came on the brush was causing it after a couple days scrubbing I decided to try a nylon one no more blue
21st Century has some patch jags of nylon with a stainless tip for that exact reason...

Cold Finger, I like a few products that take out copper and carbon very well. I mostly get really fouled bores from people that have decided they do not need to clean their bores ever or they just go out and start shooting without Breaking in/Burnishing their bores from the start. my favorite method of cleaning a bore like this is a combination of two cleaners as a 1-2-3 combination. first I will see what I am dealing with by putting a nylon brush on, drenching the bore with Sweet's 7.62 and agitating the sweets every 15 to 20 minutes and then after an hour or maybe as much as 2 hours I will shove a clean patch down the bore. if I get blue, black, and grey I know I am dealing with the trifecta of crud. Copper, Carbon, and Lead. mostly I get blue and black.. the bad boys of copper jacketed bullets. then I use Sweet's 2 more times like I did the first time. if nothing really changes I know I am in for a long hard road.
I will then use regular Hoppe's 9 on a patch with JB Bore paste to mechanically scrub the bore without harming it. if I start getting a copper color out or black and copper I know there is a boat load of copper and carbon.. I clean out the JB and grab for the sweet's if my nose and body can handle more Sweet's. if not, I grab the Wipeout; patch out and accellerator. now I use these products a bit differently than the instructions. first a brush load of Accelerator then a brush load of patch out, at the other end I drip more Patch Out on the brush and pull back through, by this time the whole bore is either foaming or it's staying liquid. liquid is telling me that the bore is just that dirty and it's going to be a long road. I keep agitating the liquid in the bore every 15 to 20 minutes until the liquid is one of these, cobalt blue, midnight blue or too black to tell any other color. then push the nearly gel out of the bore and start all over. IF I start getting just grayish black out of the bore I go to the JB and scrub the hell out of the bore because grayish black is just carbon and needs to be mechanically scrubbed from the bore. I have brought back a 1950's Model 70 from a rebarrel job to shooting 1/2" groups. it can be done. BTW great choice on calibers. the 270 WSM is one of my favorite calibers.

0000 steel wool wrap around used bronze bore brush swab with JB bore paste. Soak with 7.62 sweets stroke 10x add more 7.62 stroke 10x. Flush with brake parts cleaner. Use nylon bore brush with Boretech CU2 copper remover 20x flush with brake parts cleaner. Soak a patch with Boretech Eliminator and let it soak 30 minutes. Swab with eliminator the patch will normally be blue flush with BPS and run a clean patch with eliminator it should come out clean and white. If not repeat the procedure. The primary problem as you fire the rifle each fired round laminates the rifle bore with a layer of copper/carbon after each round. The carbon on top of the copper acts like a ceramic protective layer. After a long shooting session basically the results are like creating a high carbon multi-layer sword. This process I have used to clean rifles for my shooting club members. It has worked on rifles they were going to sell. A new barrel and installation isn't cheap. Some gun shops smiths are more than happy to take your good barrel and take your money to install a new barrel you didn't need.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.