Best cleaners

5gauss

I’m not too worried about bore damage right now, it was shooting 3/4” groups at best with handloads. I haven’t let it soak in butch’s overnight yet but I may tonight. Thanks for the help I may have to send it out and have a 25 sst tube fitted to it. I think I’m subconsciously looking for reasons to but I’ve never seen a barrel this dirty!!! Think the ammonia based butch’s will etch the steel at all if it can even find it?
sweets is ammonia based

Bdog35

Try a foaming bore cleaner, leave over night then hit it with some hoppes and Kroil with a nylon brush and about 20 strokes to see what’s coming out, if not it may be to far gone to save, using a brush can help a lot.

vancewalker007

What are the best copper and powder cleaners? I picked up a Used 270wsm and the accuracy wasn’t up to snuff. I suspected a fouled bore, well I’m on day number 4 of scrubbing and soaking with butch’s bore shine and M-pro7. Even letting it soak over night and thru the day while I’m at work! No end in sight. I was starting to wonder if the barrel was cast iron and coming off on my patches. I have finally gotten down to blue patches so I know I’m getting copper now? Any suggestions?
I only use Boretech now. They smell good and work great.

hunter66

Sweets is another one to try, if your not worried about bore damage at this point leave it in there over night. I’ve had good luck with the Boretech also.

idcwby
I have Mod 70 in 300 Win Mag groups kept getting worse to the point of + 2”. A guy at the local gun shop suggested using a product called “Patch Out” to clean out possible fouling. Found a rough spot near the throat, used the procedure recommended by the manufacturer and when it smoothed I’m back to sub MOA.

Rflshootr

Truthfully I bought some Hoppes foaming bore cleaner. If you have time to leave it sit overnight, it works better then I thought it would. It really wets the bore well after the foam goes away.

Coldfinger

LRH Team Member
Sounds like it is toast.....maybe try soaking again with anything and wrap a brush with a good grade steelwool...see if you can break it down some more.....then eyeball it....
So now I’m into scrubbing it day 5 I’m thinking it’s toast. I don’t have a borescope but I can definitely see pitting with my naked eye where I thought I had carbon rings! I’ll still try to clean it up and see how she shoots. Guess it was my time to take one for the team lol!

PREDATORMAN

I Still use Sweets on occasion. Not on my newer barrels though. Foam bore cleaners do the trick for me most all the time. I like not using bore brushes when at all possible. I use the foam with several applications and long soaking times if persistent fouling is the problem. Seems to soften things up good. Haven’t seen any damage to any of my barrels because of it. Clean it out thoroughly add a little protective oil after.

Coldfinger

LRH Team Member
I Still use Sweets on occasion. Not on my newer barrels though. Foam bore cleaners do the trick for me most all the time. I like not using bore brushes when at all possible. I use the foam with several applications and long soaking times if persistent fouling is the problem. Seems to soften things up good. Haven’t seen any damage to any of my barrels because of it. Clean it out thoroughly add a little protective oil after.
If you’re getting .75” groups .... what were you expecting out of an old abused beater barrel? It sounds pretty good to me.
well it was sold as a Kreiger barrel who would abuse a barrel? I’m kinda partial to big hole groups!

jasonco

LRH Team Member
You may be at stainless steel brush level and whatever solvent and copper remover of choice, it can't hurt?!

Trending threads

Recent Posts

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce