Best Chronograph

Jud96

I am looking to get my Dad a new chronograph for Christmas this year. The one we use now is an old Chrony that belongs to my Pap and I am looking to get my Dad his own. I have been looking at new ones made by Chrony and they look really nice and are about $100. Are these chronographs pretty good? What do you guys use and suggest? Thanks

I will list the three best chronographs for rifles on the market. Taking into consideration accuracy and ease of use.
MagnetoSpeed V3
MagnetoSpeed V2
MagnetoSpeed V1

LOL

or an Oehler 35p if you need optical for handguns.

after that they are all the same as a Chrony a few features here and there but not much in it except pricing.

What makes these Magnetospeeds so good? Just wanting to know since that is all that is being recommended.

I have the chrony brand have used it for about 12 years and I found that the readings are not always accurate. Go with the magneto speed if at all possible.

I believe the "tolerances" of the simple chrono's is +/ 1%. The magneto is +/- 0.1%. I couldn't find where I read that, but that's my recollection.

No screens to fool about with, trying for the best light.

No walking down range to adjust for bullet path.

Can anyone explain to me what is wrong with the Chrony Gamma Master Chrony? This is what I was originally was looking at until I asked what you guys liked.

Can anyone explain to me what is wrong with the Chrony Gamma Master Chrony? This is what I was originally was looking at until I asked what you guys liked.

There's nothing "wrong" with it, IMO, it's just that it requires some critical setup which, if done incorrectly, can render the information outputs useless. It has to be set with a specific distance from the muzzle, it has to be aligned with the target so that the bullet passes within a specific region of the detection system, it is subject to sunlight interruptions, etc.
If you like it, buy it. If you want the best available accuracy, you gotta reach a little higher.
Good luck ................

If the Gamma Master Chrony meets your needs there is nothing wrong with it.

What you get with the Magneto, is 10x more consistent shot to shot. Ease of set up. Stores and travels better

The title you selected for the thread is "Best Chronograph", thus far the replies are consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.