Blue Wonder. The BEST bore cleaner??

After the barrel was cleaned to bare steel, how long did it take for the velocity to settle back into previously known data? I've used CLR and iosso for a long time, but switched to clr and thoroclean in last 18 months as it seemed to not clean as aggressively and affect muzzle velocity less. Iosso would take 15-20 rounds to settle back in, Thoroclean is like 4-5. I also don't clean down to bare steel anymore, just get all the copper and fouled carbon out, still leave just a lil of the dark tint of staining in the throat. If I polish that clean it'll knock my velocity down and take a while to settle back in.

Last edited:
Pine Sol really not close
IMG_2591.png

After the barrel was cleaned to bare steel, how long did it take for the velocity to settle back into previously known data? I've used CLR and iosso for a long time, but switched to clr and thoroclean in last 18 months as it seemed to not clean as aggressively and affect muzzle velocity less. Iosso would take 15-20 rounds to settle back in, Thoroclean is like 4-5. I also don't clean down to bare steel anymore, just get all the copper and fouled carbon out, still leave just a lil of the dark tint of staining in the throat. If I polish that clean it'll know my velocity down and take a while to settle back in.
Exactly one shot. I always run a chrono and monitor stuff like that. And I use gun oil for my last patch. So the velocity is always off on that first shot. But it didn't take any extra shots to come right back in.

Yeah I normally clean to the extent exactly how you described also.

It works wonders on carbon fouling, but 60 strokes with a bronze brush and an overnight soak didn't remove a bit of copper. Not so much as a blue streak on the patches. Patch-Out with Accelerator got the job done in 15 minutes.
I don't think I had much copper fouling to begin with when I cleaned my barrel with it.

But also, the best copper remover that I've found, doesn't turn the patches blue at all.

And copper removers that do turn the patches blue, don't always work that well. Patches will quit coming out blue, and there will still be a pile of copper in there. So I only trust a bore scope now, not the color on the patches.

I have dozens of bore cleaners strung out all over my reloading room. I've pretty much settled on CLR for carbon removal and KG for copper removal at this point.

Recently a buddy cleaned a barrel of mine while he was using my gun and he brought it back looking like a MIRROR. Completely spotless. At first I thought he used abrasives for sure. But when I asked him he said he used this stuff called "blue wonder". So I bought some.

It's like a liquid gel type cleaner. Kind of messy until you learn how to deal with it and it has a strong minty smell.

I had just cleaned my 300 NMI barrel very well with CLR and KG. So I had a good reference when the Blue Wonder showed up.

My barrel still had some carbon caked deep in the steel up near the throat and in the grooves for the first few inches of the bore.

I did one wet patch of blue wonder, 30-40 strokes with a bronze brush, another wet patch and then another 30-40 strokes with a bronze brush. Patches came out black.

That barrel looked like a brand new barrel from tip to tail after that small sequence of cleaning. I couldn't believe how not clean it was before haha.

I honestly probably wouldn't want it that clean all the time, but **** that stuff worked GREAT!

View attachment 526281
Do you think the black patches were purely carbon or chemical reaction to the bronze brush too?

I'm surprised you use bronze brushes over nylon. Those brushes always give off false sign with a lot of cleaners. I use bore tech jags and brushes since they don't give false sign when used with cleaners. Thorroclean is something I'll use in my nmi every 60-100rds and it sounds similar to the product you're using except it also removes copper. As long as it's not harmful to your barrel stick with what works for you!

I'm surprised you use bronze brushes over nylon. Those brushes always give off false sign with a lot of cleaners. I use bore tech jags and brushes since they don't give false sign when used with cleaners. Thorroclean is something I'll use in my nmi every 60-100rds and it sounds similar to the product you're using except it also removes copper. As long as it's not harmful to your barrel stick with what works for you!
I use bronze brushes because they just work better and faster is all. I don't base the cleanliness of the barrel off the patches alone either. After getting a bore scope and using it diligently throughout the whole cleaning process dozens of times I've learned what products work, and to what extent, with certain amounts of cleaning. I'll still strip copper with a bronze brush also, even though I know it's degrading the brush and leaves false indications on the patches. It works much better than a nylon. The bore scope tells the story for me. I mostly use it as a learning tool to how to properly clean and what cleans what, and to what extent. It's been cool seeing barrels crack and erode over time also.

Also before someone says anything about borescopes not being necessary and spoltess clean barrels not being necessary.... WE KNOW. It's just a nice tool to gain knowledge from and I just like having a clean barrel for a consistent baseline and my undiagnosed OCD 😅

Recent Posts