Best Caliber Rifle Elk

I've seen two elk shot with factory 300 WSM bullets that almost escaped for another day. I caught up to one of them the following day and used my own 300 WSM with a 168 Barnes TTSX to finish the job. The other was a 6 pt bull that took three of the same factory bullets at 30 yds before expiring. So, please use the very best bullet for the purpose when chosing factory rounds. The one I finished off had bits of copper scattered right behind the rib cage where the bullet had hit a rib.

Congratulations on your hunt and welcome to LRH. I agree with members in this forum on caliber of choice. I have shot elk with 300 win mag and 30-06 in the San Fransisco peaks to the rim of the Grand Canyon for the past 30 years. My personal preference is my tikka cuz of weight. When you add a pack binoculars water elevation you'll appreciate at the end of the day. In addition the adrenaline rush you get when you find them. My suggestion is go to a store and put the gun up to your shoulder and see how it feels. The recoil won't matter when your hunting as you won't feel it. When it matters is sighting in your gun. My recommendation is the tikka 300 win mag or wsm due to weight ballistics and their crisp clean trigger. Buy a good scope and a single piece mount and practice shooting with the bullet you choose. Finding factory ammo is more readily available these days. Wish you the best in your hunt.

For about 500 yards and in the gun you have will do fine. Buy a pallet of 140 eldm or 143 eldx and
try shooting the barrel out with a rock solid scope and mounting system. Bullet choices matter way more than cartridge. And accurate shooting is everything. I've killed most of my elk with a 130 from a 270.

That being said I also shoot a 300 prc with 215 bergers now for elk ,deer whatever. Because I've worked to extend my range. With a suppressor its a teddy bear to shoot @ 9.5 # scoped.
300 win mag, IF you can shoot it well is never the wrong answer. Do not discount the effects of recoil. Missing the vital SO HARD doesn't work at all. Whatever you get, shoot it a lot! A Tikka or kimber in 300 or 270 wsm or 6.5 PRC is a great choice. Ammo isn't too easy to find tho. The Tikka action is perfect for the short mags.

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
Talk to your outfitter, some have VERY strict opinions as to what caliber they will allow, as in nothing smaller than a .30 cal. ALSO ask if you can bring a back up rifle. Hunting from horses, well, stuff happens!!

Depends on where one is hunting and ones condition : can you do a hike of 5-8 miles, carry a pack of some 30 + lbs + rifle & ammo / spotting scope etc. Have taken many Elk using a 280 REM and a 280 AI - 7mm Rem mag - 300 & 30-378 Wby Mag - 300 Win - ( 338 Win mag- but never had a chance to shot one with it- have taken moose with it, ) Need to be able to - one shot one kill . Need to know your rifle and mans limitations as Clint would say! With the 338 Win l load Nosler 210 gr partitions ( suggest you do a muzzle brake on the 338 Win ) also got a 338 LM with 250 & 300 gr loads ( have not hunted with the 338LM yet ! ) If you get a chance to shoot some of these rounds before making a purchase may help you make up your mind !!!!!! Either way it should work out for you- enjoy the experience and have a super hunt . Just toooo many new rounds out there now- want to give my 6.5 a shot at one . My hunting partner only carries one gun a Winchester Model 70 Westerner in 264 Win Mag and has taken the same game as I have with the various guns and he only uses the 264 Win mag. ONE SHOT ONE KILL .

You will find a lot of different opinions so with that being said. I have hunted with a 300 WM ( 165 Grain/Nosler Partions Reloads) for over 25 years and have taken everything from Coyotes - Moose. The calibers you mention are all good (PROPER BULLET PLACEMENT IS EVERYTHING) and if you reload it will make it that much better... Good luck and shoot straight

I've seen two elk shot with factory 300 WSM bullets that almost escaped for another day. I caught up to one of them the following day and used my own 300 WSM with a 168 Barnes TTSX to finish the job. The other was a 6 pt bull that took three of the same factory bullets at 30 yds before expiring. So, please use the very best bullet for the purpose when chosing factory rounds. The one I finished off had bits of copper scattered right behind the rib cage where the bullet had hit a rib.

We all know that 300 WSM will kill the heck out of Elk all day long.... Bullet placement is nearly always the issue. A 180gr, .308 bullet going through the lungs will kill any Elk pretty dang quickly.

On a related topic.... I am amazed how many hunters want to put two or three rounds into an elk. I am also an archery hunter and with a bow, you get one shot. Then you sit and wait for 15-20 minutes and then you go collect your animal. Never in my life have I shot an Elk twice. I make the first one count and inside of 15 minutes, he's dead.... and most of those were killed with a 30-06 which is inferior to a 300 WSM.

2-3 lbs starts can start to feel heavy for anyone after a long day in steep country. Extra weight is extra weight no matter what shape you're in.

Just depends on the person. If you drink a case of beer every weekend and are 50lbs over-weight, you best hunt from your truck and don't bother even buying a sling.

If you can handle a 90lb Frame Pack in steep country and are darn, tootin fit.... 2-3 lbs is nothing.

If weight is your number one issue and you're set on Tikka, I'd be looking at 300 WSM. The short action should be a few ounces lighter. I haven't owned a Tikka but know others that have spoken highly about them. I've hunted with a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Winchester Magnum, harvested 5 elk with, and would be my first choice of caliber and first model other than the Tikka's to take a look at if open to options, although it's likely not the weight of rifle you are looking for. When I'm hunting dark backcountry timber in steep rugged terrain I take my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 Winchester. It's a pleasure to carry when in tough country. I've only harvested deer with this rifle. Again, if you're not already set on the Tikka's, my second recommendation is take a look at the Kimber. I'd stay with the short action in 300 WSM. My third option is Savage's 110 Ultralite in 300 WSM. I've only had experience shooting a Savage 111 FCNS in 300 WIN MAG so I don't have first hand shooting experience other than handling the Ultralite at my local gun store. Best of luck on your elk hunt this fall!
Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
Howdy,
If you'd like a good listen, with lots of valuable information, Joseph Von Benedikt has a podcast, and has a couple episodes dedicated to this topic. Here is one:
Elk Bullets: Part 3 of Cartridges & Bullets for backcountry hunting.
https://www.podbean.com/ei/dir-h2sha-5f4a031
And here is another:

Picking a Rifle for Backcountry Hunting
https://www.podbean.com/ei/dir-cv9ds-6162062

Welcome to the forum! The 300 Win mag and 338 Win mag are the traditional elk rounds out here. A lot of good options have been given though.

I took a cow elk last year @ just under 400yds with my 6.5CM and it was fine. I wouldn't go much further out than that and would prefer something bigger. I'm building a 300 PRC for the same reasons that you mention. I wouldn't build on a Tikka for action length. Look at Win 70 (pre64 or modern CRF), MRC or I have a Defiance CRF/3 position safety action on order for mine. Rifle will by 10lbs and change all in. I'm using the MRC for several buddies builds same chambering. If you don't care about CRF or the safety there are a lot of options.

FWIW I'd carry your Creed for deer.

Last edited:
I
have American Precision Fat Bastard muzzle brakes and Limbsaver Recoil Pads on all my high powered rifles. Recoil is not even noticeable…. I use the 300 Wby mag and the 338 Lapua, the 338 being a Gunwerks……