Best Caliber Rifle Elk

mwarizona

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! .300 WM, .300 WSM, and -30-06 in order. I have all three but the .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1KY. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose.

I agree with Feenix and would ask if hand loading or factory ammo.

If factory I'd go 300 winny, 7 rm then 30-06 in that order.

If hand loading then the skies the limit.

Top it with a quality scope in the 18-24 ounce range in quality rings and you'll be set. Don't skimp on the rings as a light weight magnum is hard on scopes.

Lastly FWIW, don't think you need to sacrifice rifle performance for weight. For comparison I'm 5'11 and was 212 when I hit the rugged nm mountains last year for my first public land hunt at 51 years of age. My 30 nosler weighs 9.5 lbs loaded to hunt with sling, bipod and ammo. A pound or two lighter wouldn't have mattered much. In reality I had plans of hitting the mountain at 205 but a Sept marriage and all that goes with life got in the way. I also did all my distance hiking with my rifle attached to my pack. Much easier on the shoulder and nothing flopping around leaving hands free for trekking poles. We did 4-6 miles per day at 85-9800 feet.

Screenshot_20200314-102821_Photos.jpg
20211031_113013.jpg

Last edited:
If weight is your number one issue and you're set on Tikka, I'd be looking at 300 WSM. The short action should be a few ounces lighter. I haven't owned a Tikka but know others that have spoken highly about them. I've hunted with a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Winchester Magnum, harvested 5 elk with, and would be my first choice of caliber and first model other than the Tikka's to take a look at if open to options, although it's likely not the weight of rifle you are looking for. When I'm hunting dark backcountry timber in steep rugged terrain I take my Kimber Mountain Ascent in .308 Winchester. It's a pleasure to carry when in tough country. I've only harvested deer with this rifle. Again, if you're not already set on the Tikka's, my second recommendation is take a look at the Kimber. I'd stay with the short action in 300 WSM. My third option is Savage's 110 Ultralite in 300 WSM. I've only had experience shooting a Savage 111 FCNS in 300 WIN MAG so I don't have first hand shooting experience other than handling the Ultralite at my local gun store. Best of luck on your elk hunt this fall!

Have to agree with Feenix, and Cornshank the 300 WM has been the premier ELK cartridge for many years, and will continue to fill that roll for the foreseeable future, are there new more modern cartridges that will do the job debateably better? Sure, but none that you can find factory ammo for as easily and in as wide an assortment, that makes the question easy to answer, good luck on your elk hunt, it's a fine rabbit hole to jump into.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! .300 WM, .300 WSM, and -30-06 in order. I have all three but the .300 WM remains my go-to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1KY. It boils down to personal preference and intended purpose.
Agree with FEENIX.. 300 WM has been my go to my whole life..

The BEST caliber for elk can cover a WHOLE LOT of opinions, for as many different reasons. If you are new at elk hunter, I think it's important to establish a minimum caliber. A little over 20 years ago, when my two sons were approaching the age of 12, I started looking for the perfect "junior" elk rifle. I decided that the minimum caliber I wanted them to start elk hunting with was the 7mm08. They both still have those rifles, and use them as adults. But, they have both joined the "heavy breather" fan club, and now prefer the 300PRC, and the 338 Norma. You will get a host of opinions from the members here, and they are ALL valid. Think about what the members say, and pick a caliber that sounds the best for your needs, or wants.

All of the above posts suggest rifles that will kill an elk. In fact any legal rifle will kill an elk if you are close enough and have a well placed shot. My suggestion is to get any of the big 30 cal rifles in any brand you like. But use the heaviest bullet for the caliber and don't worry about what the gun weighs. If 2-3 lbs is a big deal to you, then you have no business hiking around in the mountains anyway. If your on a guided hunt you'll likely be using horses. The bigger the caliber and bullet will get you more leniency for a poorly placed shot. If you can handle it, get a 338 win mag with a muzzle break, shoot 250 grain bullets. This will also give you some grizzly bear insurance, because where elk live in Idaho, the grizzlies live with them.

I have the 338 Win Mag as my heavy gun and it works really well. I have shot more game with it than any other caliber in North America and abroad. The 300 Win Mag is also very good and quite popular. You can "normally" find ammo for it most places. I have not used the 300 PRC, 338 Norma, or the other newer cartridges. The 30-06 is the king of reliable and available ammo. Ammo is still in short supply in my area. I suggest you define your shooting range comfort zone and then try shoot a few of the candidates that you are considering. Those ballistics on paper that you read about, seem kind of different when you are actually shooting the chosen rifle and cartridge combination.