Caliber choices for ELK

Ccctennis

I know, I know. another can of worms to debate on rifle caliber for ELK.

Here is what I have in the arsenal to choose from.
243 WSSM
257 Roberts
6.5-284
7mm STW
30-06
7mm Rem Mag
8mm Mauser

I just got back from a bison Hunt and use 175 grain nosler out of my 7mm STW.

I shoot the 6.5-284 and 7mm stw the most accurately with my handloads. Heading to colorado in October for Elk and wanted to get a feel for what everyone uses. I have access to any projectile size for these rifles. I could use my Partitions, Accubonds, Berger VLD, or barnes.

I know the 243, and "bob" are not real options. But both are great pack rifles if i draw a deer tag.

What is the average distance i will need to shoot from for Elk? Never hunted out west and the stories make it seem like i will need to hit from 600-800 yards. Here in the south 300 is a long way for most hunting!

What part of Colorado will you be hunting? There are probably areas where a longer shot is the norm, and others where shorter shots are. Will you be backpacking, taking horses, or ?
Is the STW a bench rifle or is it packable?
I'd go with the one you are most accurate with if you can carry it all day. In reality, any of the calibers listed will kill an elk.

I'm thinking if the 7 stw was adequate for a 2000 pound Bison, it should be quite enough for the Elk. I would stick with what works. Nothing wrong with the 06 and the 7 mag either. Use a premium bullet that groups well out of the chosen rifle, and go hunt some Elk.

Being that you have several fire sticks.....pick 2-3 calibers that will work for long distance elk (up to 500 yards or so) and then choose the gun you shoot the best, with a great long range optic. If I were you, with your arsenal.....I would lean toward either the 30'06 or the 7mm RM. If you shoot the 7RM very well, I would load up some 175's and go find a 6x6.

But at the end of the day, choose a gun you shoot very, very well. A well placed .243 with a great hunting bullet is better than a wounded animal shot with an 8mm. There are a lot of old-timers, youth and women here in Colorado that hunt elk with a .243 with great success. It isn't the ideal caliber, but if one can shoot it 0.5 MOA, as opposed to shooting a big magnum at 4 MOA.......well yeah.

morning, custom 340wbee Remington action, H&Sstock, timmey trigger

hart barrel, straight contour #6, SS, finish 30". 210gr Barnes TTSX. Bang Flop.

THK. U lightbulb

I think the rifle that suits the style of hunting you will do is more important than the cartridge it shoots. Within reason of course.

You've got 4 usable cartridges there in the middle. Use good bullets and each of them have their fans.

we have killed lots of elk with 6mm, 30-06, 7mag and 7STW. i like the 7's. last year it we got a bull at just under 500 yds with the 7mag and my bro shot a bull at just over 600 yds with the STW. and some 160g game kings.

My opinion regarding the rifle would be the stw.

Shot range is going to be totally dependent on where and how your hunting. Where I typically hunt elk the shots are generally 400-800 yards. Its mostly glassing from a point and shooting across a canyon. Distance could be cut down if needed, but if you have the equipment and practice it is a good challenge. On the other hand I have a friend who's land we've hunted and I don't think anyone in his family has made a shot over 400 yards there, average being probably 200.

It boils down to how you want to hunt them and how close you need to get.

Another comment on the cartridges, the last few years we have had a few different folks in camp using everything from a standard 280 Remington to a 340 Wby. My opinion is something in the 7 mag level is where "good" elk cartridges start.

Thanks for the advice. I will be hunting gmu unit 62 hopefully 1st rifle season.
The 7mm STW is a bench rifle 26 inches with muzzle brake. But all my larger rifles are heavy.

I'm never opposed to buying more rifles if needed :)

I'm in good shape and pack weight won't matter to me. (I'm a tennis pro) running 7 miles a day keeps me in good cardio shape. I'm still doing load development on my 7mm stw. Hope to have it under .75 MOA soon. Right now I'm at 1 moa with factory ammo.

I've only taken a couple of elk. Each went down and died at the shot. One big bull with a 7mm Rem Mag & Nosler 175 at about 180 yards. Bullet penetrated from side to side and out into the mountain. Bull dropped a few steps later.

One cow, yesterday, at 338 yards. Used a standard Rem 700 CDL in .30-06 with a 165 gr Nosler Ballistic tip. Shoulder was destroyed, and she went down quickly. No bullet exit.

Take what you can shoot well, and doesn't weigh you down too much. I out-walked a competitive marathon runner in the western mountains, without trying to. The pack weight and steep terrain got him. Great guy though. At 60, I can't do that anymore, but I still carry a pack pretty well.

Don't forget to bring some great optics! If you've got the money, and you don't already own them, buy excellent binos and maybe a spotting scope too.

Is your hunt guided or DIY?

Regards, Guy

I had an uncle that lived in Idaho that hunted elk with a 256 Newton in a Newton rifle. I've hunted/taken them with Bow and arrow, 25-06, 30-06, 7mm Mag and this year a 254 WM.
You say all of your larger rifles are heavy. Define heavy in you book? An 8-10 lb rifle in the appropriate cartridge that you can shoot accurately is what you should take. If that means you're just 'forced' to buy another one, that's just too bad <= sarcasm
Then you'll have to post the inevitable "what gun should I buy" post AND the equally inevitable "which scope should I get" post ;)
Bottom line, you have 3 really good cartridges that will take an elk. Depending upon the actual rifle build will be the deciding factor.

Just joined this forum to get more information on long range shooting for hunting. The friends and family I hunt with have hunted extensively in Nevada and before that Wyoming for Elk and have been involved in the killing of dozens of big bull Elk on public land. The shots average longer rather than shorter with shots in excess of 450 yards common. We all shoot 30 caliber rifles. This came from a recommendation from a Wyoming outfitter who guided Elk for well over 30 years. We were shooting 7mm's in the beginning but made that switch and have not looked back. I shoot a .300 Wtby Mag. Take that for what it is worth. I would say that your '06 or either 7mm is preferred but would agree that shot placement is the most important factor. That said the sport hunting author Jack O'Connor successfully used a .270 on Elk his entire career. I'm also big on bullet selection and have had outstanding results shooting 168 gr Barnes Triple Shock bullets. Finally, this is all irrelevant if you don't have the physical capability to get to the Elk which will be in the most remote areas with the slightest pressure. Your physical fitness is therefore critical especially your cardio in high elevations. Good luck on your hunt!.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.