Caliber for elk

I know there are a lot of members there who travel several hours to get there and once there they make a day of it. I think when you call the range and talk to Deb, she'll let you shoot there one day, one time for $30 after signing the "I promise not to shoot myself in the foot and sue" type of agreement. They're pretty understanding about people having to drive a ways and understand the value of a test drive before purchasing. They are genuinely good people. If there's any trouble let me know and maybe I'll meet you there that day and you can be my guest, gives me another excuse to get out to the range. :)

Here's a link to public rifle ranges open to the public within the state of Michigan,... hope this helps and good luck with your choice of weapon and hunt out west!

Personally,.. if you can shoot proficiently with either of your 2 choices I'd also go with the .338 Win Mag.

click on this link: Michigan Public Shooting Ranges

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.