Best Caliber Rifle Elk

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
Hand loading, and distance is a question.
I have 2 guns for elk and they are tikka 300 wm with a aftermarket stock that I use hold over. I use this gun out to 450 fairly comfortable. It's loaded with 180 interlocks and it's a fanatic killer on elk and white tail. It's my primary all purpose carry gun. Gun weighs around 8 lbs. scope is a 2x10x42 leupold vx5d.

2nd is a 300 prc that use to be a 300 wm. It's full custom hunting setup. Running 215 Berger's. I use it for much longer shots. Gun and scope weight is 10 lbs. the gun is so accurate that I dont just go out and shoot the gun just to play.
elk are tough animals. Any gun will kill them if you hit them right but I like throwing big chunks of lead at them.

Last edited:
I would first ask can you shoot a big magnum and especially a light weight big magnum? I can't and I am not a small guy. I can handle the recoil in the sense that it doesn't hurt but still get a little flinchy. I have opted for guns in the 10-11 pound range and prefer the big 7mms. There are alot of options that will work fine, just keep in mind you need to be able to shoot it well. I would rather take a 6.5 of some flavor I can shoot really well than a giant 338 of some flavor I can't. Just keep that in mind while you pick.
For me 280 AI, 28 Nosler or 30-28 Nosler if reloading and custom.
If factory rifle and ammo 300 PRC, 300 win, 7mm mag.
Strictly opinions of course from the elk hunting I have done.

Welcome and enjoy the information and please share yours.

Based on your first post two caveats. If you reload no question for me it would be 300WM, 300WSM, 30-06 in that order. You can down load the WM to 308 recoil and max it out to surpass all others in accuracy and velocity in my experience.

If you don't reload. 30-06 and done. Kill everything in the world with it and buy ammo (normally) at every gas station to corporate giant.

.300Wby or .340Wby on rt in pic.

Attachments

• .300 weatherby 003.jpg
    .300 weatherby 003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • .308 340.JPG
    .308 340.JPG
    919.5 KB · Views: 104
Elk in dark timber I like a Remington 600/673 in .350 Remington Magnum or a Marlin 1895 in 45-70/.450 Marlin. Heavy for caliber bullets.

Elk in varying terrain and cover I prefer a Kimber Montana in .300 Winchester Magnum or .30-06 Spg. Mid-weight bullets.

There are many, many excellent rifle and caliber choices out there and just as many tough, accurate bullets. Those are my choices. Enjoy the hunt.

If light is the goal while retaining accuracy and terminal ballistics look at the Weatherby Mk V Backcountry. I had a round birthday last year and got one in 6.5 RPM. I didn't suggest it earlier as I see it as a costly rig without wide or reasonably priced ammo availability. It's a tack-driving joy to carry and shoot. I hunt open, rolling grass and sage land at altitude. For me it's ideal. With a VX3i 4.5-14X40 lightweight, Talley lightweight mounts and a Murray A1 sling it weights 6 lbs 4 oz. I handload and have 400 pieces of brass, so ammo cost/availability are not issues for me.

Last edited:
I have a tikka t3x hunter 300wm with a Leupold vx6 2-12 and it is a dream to carry and will shoot Way better than river can. Lol. I was hitting 8" target at 500y no prob with factory ammo(180's)

I've hunted and killed elk with 30-06, 308, 7mm Rem. mag, .325wsm, and 44 magnum revolver. They've all worked great. These days I mainly choose the rifle I'm most comfortable with appropriate to the game and country. 20 years ago I found a Savage 99 featherweight 308 that fits me like a glove. It became my usual choice for eastern and western Oregon deer, bear, and elk. One day I saw a Browning BLR featherweight in 325 wsm. I had to take it home. I don't handload so I got the only factory loads I could find. Winchester's premium 200 gr. load grouped 2" at 100 yards. Their 220 gr. silvertip grouped in 1".
I decided to hunt elk with that load. I shot a spike broadside through the lungs at 40 yards. It dropped dead. So all good. I did notice though that the exit side of the ribcage had 2 holes an inch apart. I guess the silvertip came apart. Since then I've found other premium loads that I use with confidence. For brush hunting elk I use my Remington 760 pump that has a peep sight in the rear and fiber optic front or my Taurus Raging Bull 454 Cassull.I've got 8 or 10 other rifles and 3 hunting handguns that suited for deer elk but I usually stick with the those four. I'm comfortable with them and the calibers work.

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
All good replies to your question. The main thing is at what distance are you comfortable shooting? Your shooting skills are most important. I know a few guys that have taken Elk at 3-400 yds with a .243 (good bullet and shot placement).
Any good 6.5 cartridges would work just fine .260, 6.5X 55, 6.5X284. You already have a 6.5 Creed so with a good bullet SGK, AB you should not have a problem 500 yds.
270 WSM, 7MM (280, 284), most of your 30cal, 300 win mag, 300wsm, 325wsm. You can get relativity good weight rifles in these calibers for spot stock hunting and carrying in rough terrain. Jill has a Kimber Montana .270WSM that is a great carry rifle. Kimber has a selection of good calibers in that rifle. I have a Win Model 70 Ultimate Shadow .325wsm - easy to carry and great knock down power. I have taken Moose, Kudu, Gemsbuck, Wildebeest with great success.
Plenty of manufactures out there. You mentioned Tikka also look at Kimber, Savage, Bergara to name a few.
If you are going Long Range you may want to bump up to a 338 class.
Check with your Guide on suggestions and distances you will hunting. Also I see a mention of Bears in that area. Your guide may be carrying a heavy hitter with him/her. You might also want to carry a pistol.
Also give a lot of consideration on the rifle you will be buying if you decide on getting one. What other type of hunting you will possibly do in the future. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a rifle for just one hunt, but if it is a "Hunt of a Lifetime" you want to make sure that you have the best equipment for the best possible results.
Whether you are going "Custom" or "Factory" better get it as soon as possible since your hunt is in October. You want to make sure that you get a lot of range time in and if reloading - getting the right load.
Wish you the best of luck. Have a real great time and a safe one. It will be a "Journy" from now until your hunt is over getting everything ready. Keep us posted on what rifle you decide on and when your hunt is finished give a good story to read!

Len & Jill

I've shot my elk with a 300 weatherby, but 300 win mag or 300 WSM will work just as well. Some of my buddies use 338 calibers as well. As with all hunts shot placement is the key. Good luck and enjoy the wonderful meat you will harvest.