Best Caliber Rifle Elk

300 Win Mag in a Tikka or Browning X-Bolt would probably get my vote. They're good out of the box guns and factory ammo in 300 Win Mag would probably be plentiful. For my personal preference though, I have a 325 WSM that is light (around 8lbs scoped, no break) and I'm pretty limited to an absolute max of 400 with it, then there's my 28 Nosler (10lbs scoped w/break) and the sky is the limit for that. Keep in mind that I don't and won't shoot factory ammo, so my options are as wide open as the availability of components.

Last edited:
Many great suggestions regarding rifle/ cartridge choice. At this stage, if it were me, I'd find10 boxes of ammo in any caliber I could find with a bullet that will perform on elk and then pick a rifle in that chambering. Not much time left between now and October. I reload and am now hoarding the components I have to make sure I have ammo for next fall. Factory ammo is no more available than powder, primers and bullets.
You are right about ammo - it is improving, but the price is extremely high. I'm glad I took up reloading 40 years ago for my 284 because factory ammo was rare for it. I have not used a factory load on game for 35 years mostly because I have been using premium bullets almost exclusively.

Depends on what type of terrain you are hunting. In steep, thick country the best "caliber" is .338". The most common being 338 Win mag. 250 grain bullet like the Accubond delivers good accuracy and plenty of bone crushing energy and deep penetration to anchor a big bull before he dives down a steep hillside to the bottom of the canyon.

300 WM or 300 WSM.

Ammo availability and expected range would probably dictate. If you want to shoot the heavies, go win mag.

My 30 Nosler is 9.25lb scoped. I don't hunt with a brake. I wouldn't want much lighter for that recoil and not much heavier for the mountains. I think it's close to perfect.
For 300 wsm, I might go just a little lighter.

.300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag and then if you could find one - an 8mm Remington Magnum. Use muzzle brakes on all the rifles - you can always get a thread protector if you don't like like it while hunting. Stay with the heavier bullets in each caliber.

I would favor the 300 WSM in the Tikka. The Tikka action is a long action - regardless of the round you are shooting. Tikka changes only the bolt stop (length of bolt throw) and magazine for shorter rounds. The Tikka can handle the 300 WM in factory loadings, but will most likely not be able to handle (fit) the longer, heavier VLD bullets for hand loading. The longer cartridges such as the 300 NM, 300 RUM, 7mm STW simply will not fit the action/magazine. For that reason, I would choose the 300 WSM. It allows you to load the longer 308 bullets. Keep in mind, the Tikka in either 300 WM or 300 WSM has some very stout recoil due to light weight rifle and stock design.

OP - you probably haven't read down this far…
I moved from ID to AZ last summer And can say the steep in ID is def different. As in more so And depending on where you are going, wet(North), just plain f ing cold(middle) or dry as a bone(South- added for parity, not many elk in S,they all went to WY)
I don't know where you are in AZ but elevations are different as well. Think Flag as the lowest starting then up from there. And don't be surprised if magically it is "up" to the camp as well once the day is done… ;-) So, altitude training is a very good thing and acclimation time a must. Hydrate. Hydrate.
To the original Q tho - like many others, 300WM all day. IMO.
If you want to connect and talk more, I'm based in PHX.

So out of 4 pages, the consensus seems to be the 300WM, which is a great rifle and capable for most anything. There is virtually no difference between the 300WSM and the WM with performance, you just might find a heavier projectile in factory ammo offerings for the WM. I'm partial to the WSM's myself, but I reload and I went 300WSM but built it on a long action.

I think with ammo scarcities, 300WM is going to be the easiest to find and would suggest going that direction. Remember, you have to buy enough ammo to run through the rifle to see what it likes (I.e. brand, weight etc…) and then enough of the ones you found work well to hunt with. I think at this time, the 300WM would be the one.

Hi everyone, so I am new Elk and deer hunter. I grew up hunting mostly upland game. I am going on a guided Elk hunt in October in Idaho and I looking to purchase a larger caliber rifle than my 6.5 creedmoor. I've ready many articles debating this topic. I am a big guy 6-3 230. Not afraid of a little sore shoulder or kick. For a new hunter would you go 30-06, .300 MAG or even 300 WSM. I hunter mule deer there last year and the terrain is steep so and rugged so obviously weight is an issue. I was looking into the Tikka superior WSM or lite 300. Would appreciate any guidance! Thank you.
I would definitely go with the 300 Win Mag in your situation. Factory ammo is more common to see and the same could be said for reloading components. Try and shoot the heavier bullets as they carry out better at longer ranges. 190-200 grain projectiles have been my favorites in the 300 Win Mag. At 100 yards it won't matter whether it's your 6.5, 30-06, or 300 Magnum of choice assuming you cleanly target the vitals. So if you want something to pick up where your 6.5 leaves off on larger game at distances say over 200 yards, a 300 Win Mag with heavier projectiles with higher ballistic coefficients would be your best choice in my opinion. The 300 WSM would do this as well, a little less effectively, and at a little more cost for ammo and or components. We really are splitting hairs here but it is what we do when we are talking calibers while guessing which variables will come into play. Good Luck.