Best 7mm out there now

I am a hobbiest myself. Composite only. Have not fired up the oven in 10 years or more, so I'm way passed due.
You and me both. I got a little side tracked with reloading all my amo and doing load development for a couple buddy's but Traditional archery is still a passion or more like a way of life for me with a little dabbling it traditional muzzle loading.
As far as long range goes I sure like the big 7s. I load for my 7 RUM and for two 28 Noslers for buddy's and for one of my Son's 7 RM.

I'm not joking about using the .375 on deer. My experience is it pokes a 3/8" hole in and out, and I've yet to have one move out of its tracks.
So do you think my 45-70 would do about the same with hard cast lead?
I have only killed Black bear with it with Hornady 325 grn FTX bullets that I load to 2150fps

Yes I am/was.
I use to own Stotler Archery for about 10 hrs.
Life happened and I ended up Selling the business to someone back east. Unfortunately he let the business die.
I do still build all my own gear.
Mostly be going back to building self bows and more primitive stuff. Much more enjoyable as a hobby than messing with all the fiberglass and glues and breathing all the dust from grinding it
Good eye!
I remember the Stotlers, considered buying one but I built my own longbow instead as I was very big into traditional archery until my accident. Nice bows

Absolutely amazing!

Thanks my friend, good to see you still around. I have a place I can stretch it to 500 now on the regular. Id love to go to the long range shooting school thats in Bland, VA and use it at 1k.

PRC?

Saum. Got a could Brux palmas I'm gonna cut to 28" and one 30" next week to do more evaluating on the 195

Thank you

Im only up to page 3 out of 12 so far and I have to get back to work. Ive said it before around here, but its been a while. The 7-08 is one of my all time favorites and I think it is (not one of), THE best deer cartridge hands down. I had the oddball .325 WSM for a few years, and may still have some brass, I might even look at a 7 WSM.

Ill finish reading the rest later.

Saum. Got a could Brux palmas I'm gonna cut to 28" and one 30" next week to do more evaluating on the 195

the best 7 is any barrel i had @Elk Hunter 338 screw onto an action for me.
Sorry Dallas had too 😂😂😂

1703346383739.gif

Last edited:
I don't want to be a nay sayer here… and I haven't shot all the 7s mentioned on this thread, but definitely the majority. I also still own and ♥️ many of the ones previously discussed. But I hate 7 SAUM!

Okay, Okay… I'm kidding.

It's amazing, our shared affinity for pills in 284!

It's always so fun to see how much we all love the path WE'VE BEEN DOWN… myself included! 💯

The truth to me is this: If there's only one BEST than you're either going to be considerably overbore or underbore depending on the application. And if you choose one right in the middle you're still not going to have the best for hardly any situation… think hunting big game to small game… short range to long range… barrel
Life… down range energy… getting caught w/o one of your components… the list could go on and on…

Thanks for the rabbit hole read this morning. It was thoroughly enjoyable!

How can you not argue that the 7 RM is still king as it's put sooo many more animals on the ground (and still is) that there's not another likely to take its place probably ever but for a century at least I'd guess. Especially since there's so many more options now. But, Its fast, factory rifles/ammo brass availability, and it's NOT that different from the modern golden boy 7 PRC. Who would need a 7 PRC??? It's a Hornady product, so it must suck just like every other truck manufacturer in 2023 EXCEPT YOURS!

I could take the exact opposite standpoint on the 7PRC though, as I own both and ain't getting rid of either.

It's new and improved… no need to fuss with the SAAMI chamber, it's perfect or close to as is (I can hear the hate 🤣 coming!), better resale hands down than any other IMHO, efficient cartridge design, factory rifles if that's your thing/factory ammo readily available if that's you, starting to hear lots of rumors on Lapua brass next year???, but already have ADG which performs amazingly in my experience with at least 2-3 other high end mfrs to come for sure, extremely accurate (but aren't they all these days?).

The best part of 284 to me is that I don't have to be monogamous! I don't have a best 284 girl, or I'd be limited and honestly missing out. I do believe, if you're limited to one 284, choosing one in the middle is the way I'd go.. a lot of us can't afford or choose not to… a custom rifle, which does change quite a few of the cartridges we're talking about if we're being honest.

I can't leave this thread chickening out and not answering the OP question: which 284 is the BEST?

I'd say somewhere between the 280AI, 7RM or 7PRC or even the SAUM is a pretty happy place if one was only allowed one… but none of these is what I shoot the most 😘.

Overborecategory: 28 Nos… its like watching a train wreck

Biggest cult following: 7SAUM (but only in a Tikka action!

Wildcat: 7PRCW (my friends made me do it…)

If I've offended you, I just finished Elon's new biography… and my son is flying a Trump flag at the moment, so I've got to offend at least some of you!

On a serious note, thanks to everybody's welcomed input. This is one of my top forums to read though I don't post much here.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas 🎄 / Jesus' Bday if that's your thing. If it's not, I hope you can respect that that is a huge part of what this country was built on, and it is the greatest country in the world STILL!

If it's not your thing, I hope you have (a) very Happy Holiday(s) doing your thing!

On a "serious as a heartache" note… the best truck in 2023 is Chevy hands down! At least until I trade mine in next year and find out where I can get the best bang for my $ as inflation is killing me! Then that will be BEST!

The door isn't hitting this guys you know what on the way out…

I just couldn't resist…

Aaron

I don't want to be a nay sayer here… and I haven't shot all the 7s mentioned on this thread, but definitely the majority. I also still own and ♥️ many of the ones previously discussed. But I hate 7 SAUM!

Okay, Okay… I'm kidding.

It's amazing, our shared affinity for pills in 284!

It's always so fun to see how much we all love the path WE'VE BEEN DOWN… myself included! 💯

The truth to me is this: If there's only one BEST than you're either going to be considerably overbore or underbore depending on the application. And if you choose one right in the middle you're still not going to have the best for hardly any situation… think hunting big game to small game… short range to long range… barrel
Life… down range energy… getting caught w/o one of your components… the list could go on and on…

Thanks for the rabbit hole read this morning. It was thoroughly enjoyable!

How can you not argue that the 7 RM is still king as it's put sooo many more animals on the ground (and still is) that there's not another likely to take its place probably ever but for a century at least I'd guess. Especially since there's so many more options now. But, Its fast, factory rifles/ammo brass availability, and it's NOT that different from the modern golden boy 7 PRC. Who would need a 7 PRC??? It's a Hornady product, so it must suck just like every other truck manufacturer in 2023 EXCEPT YOURS!

I could take the exact opposite standpoint on the 7PRC though, as I own both and ain't getting rid of either.

It's new and improved… no need to fuss with the SAAMI chamber, it's perfect or close to as is (I can hear the hate 🤣 coming!), better resale hands down than any other IMHO, efficient cartridge design, factory rifles if that's your thing/factory ammo readily available if that's you, starting to hear lots of rumors on Lapua brass next year???, but already have ADG which performs amazingly in my experience with at least 2-3 other high end mfrs to come for sure, extremely accurate (but aren't they all these days?).

The best part of 284 to me is that I don't have to be monogamous! I don't have a best 284 girl, or I'd be limited and honestly missing out. I do believe, if you're limited to one 284, choosing one in the middle is the way I'd go.. a lot of us can't afford or choose not to… a custom rifle, which does change quite a few of the cartridges we're talking about if we're being honest.

I can't leave this thread chickening out and not answering the OP question: which 284 is the BEST?

I'd say somewhere between the 280AI, 7RM or 7PRC or even the SAUM is a pretty happy place if one was only allowed one… but none of these is what I shoot the most 😘.

Overborecategory: 28 Nos… its like watching a train wreck

Biggest cult following: 7SAUM (but only in a Tikka action!

Wildcat: 7PRCW (my friends made me do it…)

If I've offended you, I just finished Elon's new biography… and my son is flying a Trump flag at the moment, so I've got to offend at least some of you!

On a serious note, thanks to everybody's welcomed input. This is one of my top forums to read though I don't post much here.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas 🎄 / Jesus' Bday if that's your thing. If it's not, I hope you can respect that that is a huge part of what this country was built on, and it is the greatest country in the world STILL!

If it's not your thing, I hope you have (a) very Happy Holiday(s) doing your thing!

On a "serious as a heartache" note… the best truck in 2023 is Chevy hands down! At least until I trade mine in next year and find out where I can get the best bang for my $ as inflation is killing me! Then that will be BEST!

The door isn't hitting this guys you know what on the way out…

I just couldn't resist…

Aaron
Well said

I remember the Stotlers, considered buying one but I built my own longbow instead as I was very big into traditional archery until my accident. Nice bows
Yeah the hardest thing to accept when I had to sale was giving up being part of the history of Stotler Archey. They had been building Bows since 1952 when Bob Stotler stopped building bows for Howard Hill and started Stotler. Also, Wayne Stotler was one of Hill's hunting partners for years.
Good on you for building your own. Sorry about your accident that sounds like keeps you from shooting it.

Lots great advice here but id have to give my vote to the 7RM...tried and true!

Can it be done with a little less (7saum)? Sure.

Can it be done better with a bit more(7-300, 28 schnoz, STW)?
Sure.

I can lean on my 7RMs and they can just flat out get it done!! Happy medium with a little room to throat and compete with the heavier hitters!