Best 7mm out there now

Lots great advice here but id have to give my vote to the 7RM...tried and true!

Can it be done with a little less (7saum)? Sure.

Can it be done better with a bit more(7-300, 28 schnoz, STW)?
Sure.

I can lean on my 7RMs and they can just flat out get it done!! Happy medium with a little room to throat and compete with the heavier hitters!
I often wondered years ago how it would work to use the .300 Win Mag case as a 7mm. I wonder the same thing about the .375 Ruger case since the PRC is shortened. Maybe I should just build me a 284-375 Ruger in a Magnum length action. Quite sure it would probably come close to matching the 7 RUM, and maybe better the STW?

Edit: I see Gunwerks did just that and call it the 7 LRM. I've been a fan of the .375 Ruger since it came out, and hope to add a .416 Ruger too at some point. But I believe I have found my 7mm!

Last edited:
Had everyone got behind the 7wsm it would do the same thing as th PRC the smallest 1000 yard group was shot with a 7 wsm and Winchester brass.
It's my favorite. I love the 7PRC performance posts….seems a lot like 7 WSM only out of a LA and with more powder.

What bullets do you load in your 375. I'm gonna be starting to load for mine this spring but some 270gr interlocks but also considered some barnes.

In an H&H I think that you'd be pleased with the 270 Interlocks, I know they worked great in my now retired .375 H&H.

When I went to the AI, and was pushing them considerably faster, I wasn't satisfied with the penetration on closer shots. It appeared that they "fully" mushroomed very rapidly, the quite large frontal area coupled with their only retaining about 60% to 65% of their weight appeared to hinder penetration.

All that said……I've been hooked on Barnes's since the early '90's with zero problems! They are my absolute "go to" bullet! memtb

Last edited:
In an H&H I think that you'd be pleased with the 270 Interlocks, I know they worked great in my now retired .375 H&H.

When I went to the AI, and was pushing them considerably faster, I wasn't satisfied with the penetration on closer shots. It appeared that they "fully" mushroomed very rapidly, the quite large frontal area coupled with their only retaining about 60% to 65% of their weight appeared to hinder penetration.

All that said……I've hooked on Barnes's since the early '90's with zero problems! They are my absolute "go to" bullet! memtb
I love Barnes Bullets too.

To the OP....my condolences to you...words can never attain a depth of meaning to even remotely describe a loss that significant.

As to your question.... The King of 7mm's? Yeah, it's the 7mm Remington Magnum. Unquestionably.

It's not the most powerful 7mm (how often are Kings the most "powerful warriors" in the kingdom?) but since the 7x57 opened the world up to 7mm's (at least the 1st 7mm that became a popular "Sporting" cartridge), the 7mm Rem Mag has far supplanted it. The 7mm Rem Mag beats the 7x57 in numbers of it being used, energy/power, availability of ammo and/or reloading components, and versatility for species to hunt.

I will always have at least one with a reasonable amount of ammo on hand.

However, depending on what you're using it for, a 7mm-08 is an exceptional chambering. If you're needing more horsepower, but don't want a barrel burning monster, the 7mm-300 Win Mag is gold. Otherwise, the sky's the limit on velocity.

Yeah the hardest thing to accept when I had to sale was giving up being part of the history of Stotler Archey. They had been building Bows since 1952 when Bob Stotler stopped building bows for Howard Hill and started Stotler. Also, Wayne Stotler was one of Hill's hunting partners for years.
Good on you for building your own. Sorry about your accident that sounds like keeps you from shooting it.
Broke four vertebrae, couldn't walk for 4 years. By miracle I met the right surgeon. Longbow handshock gives the titanium plate in my neck fits. I do have two black widows I could shoot but I've torn 3 tendons (both elbows and pectoral on left side) in the last two years due to steroid injections in knees and back. Took 9 operations for me to stand up straight and walk. I don't do treestands any more at all. Nothing more fun than killing hogs with traditional equipment though and some of those bows are works of art.

Broke four vertebrae, couldn't walk for 4 years. By miracle I met the right surgeon. Longbow handshock gives the titanium plate in my neck fits. I do have two black widows I could shoot but I've torn 3 tendons (both elbows and pectoral on left side) in the last two years due to steroid injections in knees and back. Took 9 operations for me to stand up straight and walk. I don't do treestands any more at all. Nothing more fun than killing hogs with traditional equipment though and some of those bows are works of art.
Wow that is a bunch of hard luck.
I have two disc's fussed in my neck with titanium plate as well but nothing was broke and very little problems since. Sorry to hear of all your toubles.
I did start shooting one of my smoother shooting recurves at a little lower draw wt. Than my long bows.
Realized that dropping down to around 50lbs draw is a lot more comfortable to shoot and still plenty to take anything that I am likely to hunt.troubles.
Who needs a 7mm! :)

Attachments

• 20231115_183146.jpg
    20231115_183146.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20231115_201538.jpg
    20231115_201538.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 28

All that said……I've been hooked on Barnes's since the early '90's with zero problems! They are my absolute "go to" bullet! memtb

You use the 175 TSX in a 7 ?

My 53lb at 28, I draw 29 is the bow Ive used most. Longbow is 57. The other BW is 66 at my draw but with a 650 grain arrow and head it penetrates. I always shot about 10 grains per pound of draw weight. I could likely shoot the 53 some. It's been a long time and I'm a bit gunshy from injury. I don't need anymore ailments.
But I do like 7mms. Especially the 280 AI, 7RM, and 7 x 300wm. They fit my easy to acquire brass requirement. See I'm back on topic.