Best 7MM-08 out of the box

jeffwhip

If I purchase one of these for my 11 year old daughter, should I get the Rem Mod 7, Win Mod 70 Featherweight, a Savage or a Kimber? We hunt deer and elk.

Thanks in advance.

If I purchase one of these for my 11 year old daughter, should I get the Rem Mod 7, Win Mod 70 Featherweight, a Savage or a Kimber? We hunt deer and elk.

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion the Remington Model 7 youth would be best.

Later you can get a after market stock as she grows, that will fit her better.

I would look for the stainless model and if you can find one with a laminated stock.

J E CUSTOM

This gets my vote.

I bought the the M700 Youth Rifle. It is extremely accurate right out of the box. I hadn't fired more than 25 rounds and found a combo that shoots 1/2 inch at 100 at 2900 f/s. And it's not any heavier than the M7.

I like the model 7 idea. That was my first rifle when I started hunting in a .243. That little rifle still shoots very good. I had to do a trigger job and also did a bedding job. Just for the record, I am a huge Savage fan. If you can find one that isn't to heavy and fits her well, that would be a good direction to go also.

Tank

the savage edge does not come with the accu tigger or stock got this straight off the website and form the savageshooters forum someone who owns one the trigger is entirely different form the old savage and the accu and the mags are diffent too i like the savage/stevens rifles but they have the old savage stuff i dont know if your daughter shoots but 7-08 might be a little stiff it depends on her i like to start new kids with a 243 but they maybe because i started with it and so did my to nephews

The Model 7 Stanless with the synthetic stock and a Leupy 3-9 silver compct and it is a great gun. I've had one in 7-08 since the first or second year they came out. I started to sell mine and decided to keep it around for my stepson's first rifle. He will be eight later this year and will start hunting in a year or two. The nice thing about the 7-08 is that if you reload, you can load everything from 110 grain TNT's for coyotes to 160 grain Accubonds for Elk. If she is recoil shy, you can also download it for more comfortable shooting practice until she builds up a little tolerance. I would also look at the Tikka rifles, they come with a clip, scope rings, and it seems like every one I've seen or heard about just flat out shoots. I know that there aren't as many aftermarket items, but for just a great hunting gun, they are pretty hard to beat.

Kimber makes a beautiful rifle. Unfortunately they have a lot of problems with bedding. If you want a rifle that will shoot consistantly avoid it.

Ruger Hawkeye in 257 Bob.

I thought the Rem 700 Boone & Crockett in 7mm-08 was not much softer shooting than my 7mm Mag. The 7 is even lighter than the 700.

My 1985 vintage Model Seven in 7-08 is the straightest shooting factory gun I ever owned after removing the pressure point in the barrel bedding. It is a pleasure to shoot with 120 grain TSX bullets and not bad with 160 grain Accubonds. This is the KS Model and only weights 6.5 pounds with a scope! I started hunting at 11 with a 7x57 Mauser with 175 grain factory round nosed bullets back when Kennedy was our president and still hunt with that rifle on occasion! Tom gun)

I'm a big Savage fan, but I wouldn't suggest the Edge models. They don't have accu-stock or accu-trigger. The mags are plastic. If I hunted/shot just during deer season, in MI Nov.15-Dec.1, and put it up the rest of the year than I would consider one.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.