berger vs ABLR

I shot a bull elk at 1098 with a Berger 180 grain HVLD in a 7 mag. Took out the lungs and bullet was under the hide. I got outstanding accuracy from that bullet. Shot a few more elk at around 150 yards with the Berger's but am using Accubonds again for those normal, for me, hunting shots.

Currently loading the Berger 175EH and the accuracy has been phenomenal. Only critter willing to stand in front of it so far has been a coyote @ 181yds and it ended terribly for him. Unable to detect the entrance without moving the hair around but the exit was quite impressive!

I'm hesitant on Berger due to exploding on impact on two different elk with 300 RUM. Am currently working up a load for 210 ABLR.

I shoot ABLR's in my 7 Mag with great results and pass throughs on 9 deer and one BIG sow. Several (including sow) were through both shoulders with tremendous results.

don't think I will shoot anything else for now!

Im building a 7-300 and am trying to choose a bullet. im down to the Berger 175 or the ABLR 175. anybody have experience with both? Im sure ill try em both for myself but a little insight would be nice.
I have used ABLR 142gr out of a 6.5 on multiple deer from 100yds out to 500yds and have great results most were DRT a few went about 20yds

Im building a 7-300 and am trying to choose a bullet. im down to the Berger 175 or the ABLR 175. anybody have experience with both? Im sure ill try em both for myself but a little insight would be nice.
I believe your rifle will tell you what you will be shooting especially at 1200 What is the twist rate?

Last edited:
deer, elk and bear out to 1200yds
I have 2 7 LRMs that I've used those in. Frankly the ABLRs never shot to the accuracy level I desired. The 175 Elite Hunter shot very good but the 180 VLD and 195 EOLs out shot everything. The longest kill we have was a cow elk at 1092 yards with 180 VLD from a custom 7LRM. The powders I'm primarily using with all of them are H1000 and IMR7977. The elk was killed with 7977.

One other thing I noticed about these bullets was the ABLRs varied +/- 3-4 grains in weight versus all the Bergers that were mostly right on with an occasional +/-.5gr off. Never did enough careful testing to prove this meant anything but it's something I noticed. The ABLRs did not shoot great in my fathers LRM either. If I was limiting shots to 500-600 yards on elk and big deer, with most shots being closer, they would be ok for me. But I have to cover Coues which shrink the acceptable accuracy range a lot.

I did read where the manufacturing process for bonded bullets is tough and can cause voids in the bullets. I'm not sure if this is true.

What is the difference in lethality of a 175 gr 7mm ABLR or a 168 or 190 gr ABLR at hunting distances?

Actually, not a lot.

The 7mm G7 .326 BC vs .265 and .301 for the 30-cal bullets keeps the impact velocity high and wind drift down for the 7mm compared to the 30 cal. The reduced wind drift essentially increases the lethality of the 7mm because the reduced wind drift ups the likelihood of hitting the vital zone while keeping the impact velocity closer to the sweet zone for expansion.

Last edited:
Two different bullets that do two different things upon impact. The AB & ABLR are bonded bullets designed to keep the cup and lead core together upon impact. They provide lots of pass-throughs and great blood trails. On the other hand, Berger bullets are designed to come apart/fragment soon after impact and dump all/most of their energy into the animal's body. Both work well, but you need to know the limits of each bullet.

From personal experience: I have had a tough time getting the ABLR to group well in a couple of my rifle. The Bergers just seem easier for me to 'dial in'. But you can't go wrong with either bullet. Pick the bullet that shoots best in your rifle and then live/shoot within the limitations of that bullet with your rifle. I had a custom 6.5-06 AI built specifically around the 140 gr. Berger VLD. No matter what I did, I couldn't get them to group as well as I knew the rifle should. I tried the 130 gr. AB and the rifle took to them like a duck to water. I shot a 300+ lb. black bear at a little over 200 yds with the AB. The bullet rolled him upon impact. He slid down the hill, never moved, and quickly died after a couple of death moans.

All my other rifle love the Berger VLD's and EOL's. Your mileage will vary. Best of luck.

I have had very good ES with the 168 Gr ABLR but I haven't had it group very good with seating depths from .010-.050". I have read that a lot of people had to seat them out .100" and further. So I am going to try that.

Another bullet that you might want to consider is the Federal Edge TLR 155, if you can find some.

The ABLR is an extremely accurate bullet but, it does take more tinkering to get it dialed in vs some others that are less picky (VLDs for example). I've had great results with the 142 in PRC and Creed, 168 in both 7-08 and 7WSM, 210 in 300 RUM, 265 in 338 Win, and just got a load dialed in with the 30 cal 190. From this weekend testing the 190ABLR in the ole' -06 and typical of what I expect from the ABLR once I do my part and get everything dialed in. Pretty happy with the results. (5 shots, 150 yards, less than ideal conditions, 54.5gr RL16, 2.710" BTO)
190ABLR.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.