Matrix VS. Berger...

Would you prefer Matrix or Berger for hunting needs?

• Matrix

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Berger

Votes: 18 75.0%

• Total voters
I shoot both the 165 matrix and 170 Berger. I shoot the 165 in my 270ss and have had excellent results between 2 bears and 4 deer. I run the 170 in my 270 Sherman and it has only been pointed at coyotes so far and dropped them as they should.
I stocked up when marshal ran matrix so I'm set for a barrel worth on them. Just to many gun choices when I head out and just seems to happen to usually have the ss when I get shots on game.
I still think with your build you should run the 140 Berger classic hunter (that's just me)... thats the fun of it though... testing.
If i had to vote I will go matrix especially after talking with bigngreen and his experience on elk.

I'm planning to try the 140 Classic Hunter along with the 170 EOL and 165 Matrix. I've got a fast enough twist to stabilize each of them and it will just come down to what bullet prints the most favorable groups. I do like your idea of running the 140, but also like to have options. Lord knows a 140 in the 270 Win has killed everything on this continent at this point.

What BC is that Matrix 175gr pushing in your rifle?

Jut curious why you feel Berger is the better choice. Can you elaborate on that further, in PM if you'd prefer.

At the time of my load development (2013 time frame) almost everybody was using a G1 of .650 baseline for the 175. I did not have an extensive test like others did but the .650 BC was dead on at 650 yards and below for me. The last time it was shot at 1K yards, it was ~6 inches high from point of aim but did not make adjustment due to winds. I see that Matrix is showing the 165 with a G1 of .650 and the 175 still unknown. The 170 Berger G1 is .662 and is measured by Bryan Litz.

See Tanner's response in this post >>> https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...7/re-175gr-277-vld-matrix-bullets#Post7746207

Good luck!

I shoot the 165vld Matrix in my 270 Wby. The accuracy is unreal. Steve is the new Owner and is a good guy and a shooter. Postage is expensive at $20.00 but you can order up to 500 rounds for that price.
I bought 500 of his 6mm 105 vld to run in my new 6mm Creedmoor. Just starting on that but good to go so far.

If you haven't tried Matrix give them a shot.

Mickey.

I've had excellent luck with the Matrix 168gr 7mm and 160gr 6.5mm. I shoot the 7mm at 2730fps in a 19" 284 Win specialty pistol as my hunting load and the 6.5mm at 3430fps in a 6.5 Badger (6.5x338 RUM improved).

The Bergers shoot well but in my experience the Matrix bullets actually expand where the Bergers fragment. Both bullets kill stuff well enough that I don't think anyone would really know the difference.

I've had excellent luck with the Matrix 168gr 7mm and 160gr 6.5mm. I shoot the 7mm at 2730fps in a 19" 284 Win specialty pistol as my hunting load and the 6.5mm at 3430fps in a 6.5 Badger (6.5x338 RUM improved).

The Bergers shoot well but in my experience the Matrix bullets actually expand where the Bergers fragment. Both bullets kill stuff well enough that I don't think anyone would really know the difference.

The Matrix bullets fragment too. Below are taken with 175 Matrix VLD out of my .270 AI at 2993 FPS ...

0mdhtqk.jpg

(Heart shot at ~125 yards)

9hofF1A.jpg

(Chest at 528 yards)

Hit.jpg
All right a 270 discussion...:)

I have verified my drops to over 925 yards with my 270 Wby...I was shooting the 165 Matrix...but not getting the accuracy that I wanted...got a new barrel and a new action so I cannot fault the Matrix 165...worked with only the 170 Bergers when they came out. Hit an accuracy node @ 3225fps...

Got my Elk Bull tag last year...after a 10 year wait...

Hanging off a cliff @ about 60 degrees down bubble @ about 9200 ft elevation...I got to shoot my 6x6 Bull @ lased 285 yrds...

The bullet detonated and I lost the opposite side shoulder meat. The bull never took a step...

If you look you can see the entry..

Entry.jpg

This is the opposite side of my Bull...found the jacket under the hide...

Last edited:
View attachment 100727 All right a 270 discussion...:)

I have verified my drops to over 925 yards with my 270 Wby...I was shooting the 165 Matrix...but not getting the accuracy that I wanted...got a new barrel and a new action so I cannot fault the Matrix 165...worked with the 170 Bergers when they came out. Hit an accuracy node @ 3225fps...

Got my Elk Bull tag last year...after a 10 year wait...

Hanging off a cliff @ about 60 degrees down bubble @ about 9200 ft elevation...I got to shoot my 6x6 Bull @ lased 285 yrds...

The bullet detonated and I lost the opposite side shoulder meat. The bull never took a step...

If you look you can see the entry..

View attachment 100726

This is the opposite side of my Bull...found the jacket under the hide...
That is one hell of a load for the Wby! I had no idea they had the steam to push those speeds with the 170s. Also, nice elk!

That is one hell of a load for the Wby! I had no idea they had the steam to push those speeds with the 170s. Also, nice elk!

It is a 28", 1-9 twist barrel...so...not stock. No pressure signs what so ever with this load...

My 270 WYB with 165 Matrix vld shoots 3150 with a 27" Rock bbl. I use 4831sc at under max by a Little. It will shoot 5 shots inside of a dime if I don't screw it up.

The target by my pic was Two shots at 850 yds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.