7mm Rem. Mag 162 ELDM vs 168 ABLR vs 168 VLD

So I'm building a new rifle, and yes I know each bullet shoots different in each barrel. However, Im trying to determine my starting point in load development without having to shoot 284747284 rounds to complete the load development.

Should I start with:
The Hornady 162 gr ELDM
The Nosler 168 Accubond LR
The Berger 168 VLD

All these bullets have a great BC. I plan on shooting 1000 yards but only hunting with it out to 700 yards. I have experience with all three but I'm trying to see who else out there has experience/kills with any of the above and how far the bullet liked being seated off the lands. Thanks in advance
Bring this thread back to life

So I'm going To shoot the same bullets you have listed and was wondering what you found you like about each of those bullets. I have used berger for a while and I've been very happy but I have a lot of the 168 ablr that I could use for this build. any way also wondering if you had a reamer made for those particular bullets. If you had a reamer made for those bullets what was the freebore you went with that workEd with those 3 bullets.
thanks and any thought would be appreciate.
my conversion is converting my tikka 300 win mag to a 7 saum. Thinking of going to a 21-22 inch barrel. Will be a daily hunter.

Last edited:
I never had a custom reamer made. I decided on the eldm. The ablr is just terrible to tune and the Berger didn't shoot well out of my 7 mag. Just didn't show any good consistency. The eldm has been a true killer for me. Furthest kill was 909 and have shot multiple other deer between 400-600. The eldm is super flat shooting, stays true ballistically, and keeps 1/2 MOA accuracy. I wouldn't ever talk against them.

I agree, I know the ELDM is newer so it may take a while for the reviews on terminal performance to filter in. I had a friend shoot a deer around 200, and the 162 ELDM did really well. That being said 200 is a lot different from 700.

I'm surprised nobody on here has shot or mentioned the 168 accubond LR. I've heard they don't shoot well in a lot of people's rifles, but if it does shoot well I know the bullet will do it's job. I shot the 150s before and it devastated deer. I guess time will tell. I appreciate the info from everyone
I shoot Browning XBolt Speed 26"-the 168g ABLR with IMR 4831 w/ 64g max load. I get 3003 fps at 50degF and 2947 at 27degF w/ 3/4"@100 yds. Thats just 7g less than 175g. Worked up the load for long range moose. 2000 ft-lb/2300fps at 500 yards.

LRAB put deer on the ground fast, and we hunt in a jungle so a deer that runs 100-200 yards may never be found. Tracking without blood is a fantasy as deer tracks abound. I also have no interest in avoiding bloodshot meat as bloodshot meat also indicates a good blood trail or a good indication that deer will be laying in their tracks.

So, for our application, we like shot deer that leave blood trails that blind men can follow if they run. Late afternoon shots, in fading light, means you need a deer dead in its tracks. Often, with recoil, you have no idea which way a deer runs when it is hit, and they often walk in circles from blood loss when they slow down.

So, shoulder shots are our preference, and they are the best insurance against running deer.

Out West in wide open spaces, if a deer runs 300 yards, it may be no big deal. Here in the South, a deer that runs 300 yards means you need to go and get your buddy's dog to find the deer.

400 yards and under, the 160g Sierra BTSP with a muzzle velocity between 2900-3100 has proven to put deer on the ground where they are standing, 280 Rem, 280 AI, and 7 Mags.

Note: with the shortage of components and high demand, it is my belief that bullets from Nosler, Sierra, and Hornady must be sorted by ogive length at this time. Manufacturers do not have the time for quality control that they used to have. It is obvious that bullets from different machines are being blended into a single lot#, and this did not used to happen.

Also, check the base of the bullet at the "pressure ring" with a micrometer that measures to the .0001.

Adapt and improvise.