Berger EH and Nosler ABLR, 175-gr

hemiford

Well this is one of those annoying hard-to-answer questions, I think.
I'm looking at these two bullets for my 7stw project, both 175 grain, the Elite hunter and the ABLR.

Is it accurate to assume the Elite Hunter can be more reliably expected to expand at a longer distance
than the ABLR ? Whereas, the ABLR would more reliably expand closer in with the higher impact velocity ?

Berger 195's and N570 in the STW is magic and nothing is gonna walk away from it.
I can vouch that a 195 with N570 (H1000 also) running 2968 fps from a 28N is magic dust......and a full grown Nilgai can't walk away with it at 300 yds.

I would opt for the Berger. Some rifles like the ABLR but they have been one of the pickiest bullets in ever messed with and I've seen erratic performance on game enough times that I gave them up.

Never had a Berger be picky to find an accurate load and they always do what I expect them to on game.

I believe the ABLR will expand at a lower velocities ~1300fps than the Berger(1800fps). I've never seen a low velocities from berger but the folk that use them seem to settle around the 1800 minimum for consistent expansion. I've used both and wouldn't hesitate to use either one. Berger's just shoot a little better in my guns so that's what I use.

Use whichever shoots best and is available

Recent Posts