ELDX and Nosler ABLR

ElCidAviator

Just wanted to share my experience with these two bullets for those that may be trying to decide if these will work for their hunting needs.

The two shots were very similar, both inside of 50 yards, frontal neck shots and both whitetail dropped in their tracks.

The 143 grain ELDX was shot out of a 6.5 PRC 2950 fps.

The 175 grain Nosler Accubond was shot out of a .28 Nosler at 3115 fps.

ELDX is on the left, ABLR on the right. Neither deer could tell the difference, but I now have more confidence in one bullet over the other.

Attachments

• FF948C2C-D6A2-4710-B17C-84B32C32D833.jpeg
    FF948C2C-D6A2-4710-B17C-84B32C32D833.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
  • 2B81CBD1-B44C-4C0A-A00A-28A2A12D38E1.jpeg
    2B81CBD1-B44C-4C0A-A00A-28A2A12D38E1.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 32483B21-3253-4B4E-84CD-D20B238A565E.jpeg
    32483B21-3253-4B4E-84CD-D20B238A565E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140
Just wanted to share my experience with these two bullets for those that may be trying to decide if these will work for their hunting needs.

The two shots were very similar, both inside of 50 yards, frontal neck shots and both whitetail dropped in their tracks.

The 143 grain ELDX was shot out of a 6.5 PRC 2950 fps.

The 175 grain Nosler Accubond was shot out of a .28 Nosler at 3115 fps.

ELDX is on the left, ABLR on the right. Neither deer could tell the difference, but I now have more confidence in one bullet over the other.

it's to bad the ABLR didn't shoot as easy as the eld-x. Everything about them seem so good and they even look good they just don't shoot for me ever.
Worst bullet if ever tried to load.
It's weird, my PRC hated them at higher velocities, but my .28 Nosler loves them. One hole groups every time.

Attachments

• FC555EA5-66B6-48D0-B357-68DC432A7294.jpeg
    FC555EA5-66B6-48D0-B357-68DC432A7294.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
So what leads you to your conclusion of "I now have more confidence in one bullet over the other" if both animals dropped at the shot, and they are two totally different calibers, velocities, and bullet designs? Instant dead seems to me that they both worked perfectly.

So what leads you to your conclusion of "I now have more confidence in one bullet over the other" if both animals dropped at the shot, and they are two totally different calibers, velocities, and bullet designs? Instant dead seems to me that they both worked perfectly.
I always enjoy this comment on a bullet thread, because you are absolutely right. Both worked this time and if that's my only qualifier for a bullet then I wouldn't care.

I'm looking for my gear to increase my margin of error; with the accuracy of my equipment, the clarity of glass, the performance of bullets, etc.

Last edited:
I would caution drawing conclusions on which is best from a sample size of 1 ea. Neck shots at 50 yards is not the best way to test bullets. Hitting spine or other bone at different angles, even with the same bullet, could give vastly different results.

I always enjoy this comment on a bullet thread, because you are absolutely right. Both worked this time and if that's my only qualifier for a bullet then I wouldn't care.

I'm looking for my gear to increase my margin of error; with the accuracy of my equipment, the clarity of glass, the performance of bullets, etc.
I agree with wanting the best performance in all aspects you can control.

So what is your conclusion on your newfound bullet experience? Seriously.

I agree with wanting the best performance in all aspects you can control.

So what is your conclusion on your newfound bullet experience? Seriously.
There's a reason why I didn't post my opinions in the original post, that's not my job nor my desire. However, I had almost identical shots with two different bullets with the same results. Albeit, it wasn't a perfect comparison, but to me the similarities are close enough to draw some data from the experience.

Are those two recovered bullets the same? Are there difference in how they reacted to the animal? To me the answer is they are different and they reacted different. If you think they are the same, then I would suggest you shoot which the bullet that is more accurate, cheaper, prettier, or whatever other metric you want to use.

I am merely trying to provide some data or evidence for people looking to make an informed decision on one bullet or the other.

No experience with the ELdx at all....
....but plenty with LRABs & 'Accubonds'..
..and you say LRAB in title and AC later..
A whitetail I shot a few years ago with a 140gr AC.. 26NOSLER 3200fps at 30 yds found bullet in frontal offside neck....looked just like the one you show on the right...
but 168gr LRAB at 450yds looked like the left bullet..from a 7RUM at 2950fps...broadside.....
Bullets do funny things....

There's a reason why I didn't post my opinions in the original post, that's not my job nor my desire.

Which bullet do you have more confidence in and why? I mean, this is a discussion board, there's no need to be cryptic in your statements.

The ABLR is a fantastic bullet. The trouble I have had is getting them to shoot consistently out of various rifles. The 168 shoots lights out in my Browning 7 mag but only so-so out of my 280 AI. Oddly, the 150 grainer from the factory loaded Nosler ammo will shoot 0.5 moa groups out of the same 280 AI. Better than I can create with handloads despite copycatting COAL, powder charge and Fed Match primers. No biggie though the 175 Elite Hunter shoots dimes out of my 280 AI at 2930 fps so it's been a great elk killer for me. The bonded ABLR has been really consistent when I have used them on game animals, no blow ups or crazy shallow penetration. They have worked just like your pictures with a nice mushroom and beautiful wound channel. All one shot kills on 9 animals from 110 to 788 yds. I'm in California so I shoot copper but we do keep 3 rifles set up just for out of State with the ABLR's. My advice is to not push them super hard. Keep them under 3000 fps and they shoot well. Rev it up and they start to fly all over the page.