Nosler ABLR quandry

bgouin

I have been looking for Nosler ABLR 175 gr. 0.284 bullets for sale to no avail, but I did find some blemished 168 grain bullets for my 7 RUM. The blemish turned out to be a cannelure significantly forward of the normal position, if fact it is at the rearward terminus of the ogive. Then I read a post in this forum regarding poor terminal ballistic performance in deer at various ranges. The problem on game appeared to be very limited penetration. Nosler indicated that the "blemish" will not effect the performance of the bullet. I would expect that accuracy will be degraded, and that bullet upset may be altered. The cannelure placement may, in fact, improve bullet upset, thus providing increased penetration. I expect muzzle velocities to be in the range of 3200-3300 fps., which will not be forgiving if the bullet integrity is questionable. Does anyone have experience with this bullet with or without the "blemish", and/or would the forward cannelure lock the core to improve penetration?

The forward crimp has very little effect, if any, on the accuracy of the bullet. It will not even change the POI. The only way it would is if it was so close to the ogive that it distorted it. I have several time used a Lee crimp die on my 308 AR loads and have seen no difference in accuracy. I have even taken these loads and used them in my Stolle and have seen no difference in crimped VS. non crimped. It might have a little more ability of deeper penetration and more retained weight only if its impact was at slower speeds or longer ranges. Once the friction of the medium peeled enough of the fore part of the bullet toward the aft, into the shank, past the crimp, then it would make no difference in weight retention or penetration. I would think that this would happen within 2 to 3 inches.

I was in the store over the holidays so I can verify I saw these sitting on a shelf with my own eyes; I was shocked to see them. But here they are still listed in stock (168s) although no 175s:

JAY'S SPORTING GOODS

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.