ABLR or ELDX

greener280

Ok wanting a littler perspective here on bullet choice. I am wanting to shoot one of these two bullets from a 7RM. My desire is to hunt Elk and Mule Deer mainly, and would be shooting 50-600 yards. So which is suited better for the job? Will the eldx fragment and potentially wound at close ranges on bigger animals, and will the accubond hold together and pencil through like many people say it does. I know that each instance is different from one another, but statistically speaking which bullet would be the more reliable at killing in these situations?

For your max of 500 yards neither is preferred. For that range I shoot the nosler BT. I have yet to have one fail from 30-650 with my .257 Roy pushing them very fast. I think to be safe the standard accubond would be great. The two you mentioned really only start to outshine the others well past 500.

I've been using the 168 ABLR for the last few seasons and have killed 2 elk only recovered one bullet it weighed 74.5 grains.So far I like them..

I use the 129gr and 142gr in my 264, this penciling through talk is BS in my opinion.
I have taken Sambar at 60yrds with both, both opened dramatically. Have used the 142gr at 800yrds, it performed as it should, the front opened and the bullet stopped in the hide opposite the entry.
Have no comment on the ELD, other than it's a gimmick.

Cheers.
gun)

Ok wanting a littler perspective here on bullet choice. I am wanting to shoot one of these two bullets from a 7RM. My desire is to hunt Elk and Mule Deer mainly, and would be shooting 50-600 yards. So which is suited better for the job? Will the eldx fragment and potentially wound at close ranges on bigger animals, and will the accubond hold together and pencil through like many people say it does. I know that each instance is different from one another, but statistically speaking which bullet would be the more reliable at killing in these situations?
They are both excellent choices so what it should come down to is whichever your rifle shoots the best.

The ABLR is a bonded bullet but the Hornady is an interlock so its almost a wash between the two. At close range the interbond will sometimes come apart but with all that energy it won't matter much if it holds together or not.

I've never had a hornady bullet let me down so that's the way I lean.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts