6.5x284 143 eldx or 147 eldm?

I did a pretty thorough write up on the performance of the 147. Check it out here:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...-game-a-lot-of-shot-videos-and-photos.208832/

I personally did not like it as much as the 140 VLD, but many people like it. I also did not get blood trails on a few animals where it did not exit, but without an exit I don't expect there to be much of a blood trail for quite a while. However, one cow elk went over a half a mile with a well placed shot, and never left a drop of blood in the fresh white snow. I would expect to see some blood SOMEWHERE, but I never did. I also would not expect a cow elk to go over half a mile with a lung shot. Just check out my thread, and decide for yourself. I personally would use the 143 between those two.

While my hunting load for the past 8 years has been Retumbo using 140gr JLK VLD's/Berger HVLD's, I developed a load using 54.6gr of R26, Fed210M primers, Lapua Brass, 143 Hornady ELD-x seated .030" off the lands. 3010FPS, SD <10. 26" barrel. 1;8 twist. Accuracy .5MOA. Haven't tried the Hornady's on game yet.
I did experience velocity variations at temperatures above 80F with R26.

That is a very nice load you worked up. I tried Retumbo but kept getting more pressure than H1000. Slightly firm bolt lift. I could not get the accuracy you have with your jump. I had to get mine backed off .060. I used a standard Saami reamer from Dave Manson. I just got some Norma brass to try instead of the Hornady. What neck tension are you running? Do you prefer Lapua to Norma? Thank you for the info.

That is a very nice load you worked up. I tried Retumbo but kept getting more pressure than H1000. Slightly firm bolt lift. I could not get the accuracy you have with your jump. I had to get mine backed off .060. I used a standard Saami reamer from Dave Manson. I just got some Norma brass to try instead of the Hornady. What neck tension are you running? Do you prefer Lapua to Norma? Thank you for the info.

I have shot both Lapua and Norma brass with good results, but I mostly use Lapua brass which has been readily available and is exceptionally consistent from lot to lot. I had terrible results with the consistency of Hornady brass, but this was about five years ago. I get my best accuracy and lowest ES running a neck OD with Lapua brass of .292". This gives about .0015-.002" of neck tension considering Lapua's very consistent neck wall thickness of .015".

Last edited:
40F3E0A2-CB7D-4CEA-9D23-528C0A493EA6.jpeg
I shot about 300 rounds with both the 143x and 147m using 3 different rifles this past year. My experience has favored the M over the X. The 147 eld-m just dialed in easily with very wide nodes in all three rifles. Ran a ladder this morning on a 6.5-06 since I just installed a brake on the 22" barrel. All loads between 57.7 and 56.5 gr of Retumbo shot fairly tight At 300 yards (see attached). They have both performed perfectly on deer this year.

Check out the link in you tube and see what bullets actually has better ballistics.

I'm not sure I would exactly say that is proof that one has better ballistics than the other. If we assume that velocity difference between the two is approximately 30-50 fps, and also that they both are exactly identical for POI as far as zeroing (which is rare, but can happen) then if you throw that info into applied ballistics, then with my atmospheric conditions, you see that the Berger does in fact overtake the Hornady in drop.....at around 2,000 yards. The Berger does in fact overtake the Hornady in velocity.....at about 1,600 yards (when they are nearly sub-sonic). And finally, the Berger does in fact overtake the Hornady in wind drift....at about 2,200 yards. Considering they were shooting at 2,640 yards, that completely makes sense. But, especially in a 6.5 caliber, this has exactly zero relevance to any hunting scenario, because the 147 does not really get outdone by the 140 in any meaningful amount until they become sub-sonic.

However, it is very interesting when considering these two bullets for ELR, 2,000+ yards. In that case, the 140 Berger does in fact out perform it. I guess it comes down to what you use them for, for ranges from 500-1600 yards, the Hornady does better. From 1600 until the bullet can't go any farther, the Berger does better.

As far as terminal ballistics however....My vote goes hands down to the Berger. Just make sure you clear out those hollow points. Very cool video, thanks for sharing.

Cody thank you for the video link above. I appreciate your analysis on the 147M for hunting. You did a great job. Nathan Foster of Ballisticstudies has some videos of the 180 ELDM used in his 7mm practical on goats and pigs in New Zealand that much better expansion than your experience. I have used Bergers for years, all hunting VLD's, and just have too much meat trauma on shoulder hits. Once again, maybe shot placement is to blame but even on double lung shots I don't get an exit wound. Blood trails are non existent and usually on fragments of the bullets recovered. Most impact ranges are 500 to 800 yards. These are just my experiences and would like to find a bullet that does not cause so much meat loss. What has been your experience with the ELD-X? Thank you again for your posts and the effort your put into them. Very helpful.

Several years ago I managed to get my hands on a few large lots of 142 JLK VLD's. They are not discussed much, but, IMO, they are superb performers on game. The G7 BC, confirmed to 1200 yards is a solid .323. at 2975-3000FPS in my 6.5x284's I have shot over 50 whitetail, mule deer, and antelope with this bullet with most all, DRT 150-1200 yards. Many of the deer were the big bodied Canadian critters. Having spoken to "Swampy", owner of Swampworks/JLK's, he assured me that the currently available 140 VLD's spec identically to my 142's. Terminal performance consists of bullet diameter for entry, if exit, 1-2". Minimal meat damage, major organ trauma. At the close range, like the Berger's, they tend to fragment at the shorter ranges. If recovered at long range, classic mushroom(see below from a Mule deer/65%weight retention ). Like the Berger VLD's they may be picky with some barrels, but if I get them to shoot, they are my clear first choice. 1000 yard groups from my hunting rifles look like they were shot from a Benchrest rifle.
D74A0B4A-5897-406E-94D4-7B6FF38331C4.jpeg D8B7A2CB-FE25-4863-8A44-6BA4E1C2B134.jpeg A2DFC908-8818-4615-A75B-BA088E97B27D.jpeg

Greyfox, thanks for the info. Impressive stuff. I will look at some JLK's and try some load work. I have done some load work with Barnes LRX 127g and Hammer Bullets 124g in 6.5. They both shot well but I have yet to try them on any critters. All the rifles I build are for hunting so the quest for a bullet to yield the most meat and provide a quick kill is my goal. Thank you again for your info.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.