berger vs ABLR

You have been a member of this forum since 2012 and you just now log on here to post your first message and this is what you post? I havnt shot at an animal that far but I sure don't tell people who do that they shouldn't. I don't know if you misread the title of this whole website but it is " Len Backus' Long Range Hunting Online Magazine".
Normally I just read this forum for information on loads, bullets etc. I have hunted my entire life, current law enforcement officer and retired military. While in the military, I shot on the All-Guard International Combat Team, have several Distinguished points in both pistol and rifle. I am a school trained Army Sniper and was deployed as such in Iraq in 2004-2005. Sniper trainer for our unit, won state titles and trained teams to do the same. Even though I have the skills and equipment to make long shots... personally I think it is more ethical to not see how far we can kill game, but be responsible and close on our quarry. Too many people buying guns thinking they can shoot anything they can see.... same for guys buying crossbows thinking they can shoot 100 + yards because they saw it on YouTube. Seen too many failures of guys trying to stretch limits.... what are the limits? That's all... now I'll prepare for the onslaught of critics...
231A96DC-C08C-4900-B910-E7704B3C74F7.jpeg

I get it. I had a similar conversation with a guy from work who wanted a rifle like mine but he doesnt understand what actually goes into making longer shots. So I explained what all went into it so he understood. I just make it a practice not to tell other people what they should and shouldn't be doing unless it's part of my job (I'm law enforcement as well).

Thanks for your service.

Normally I just read this forum for information on loads, bullets etc. I have hunted my entire life, current law enforcement officer and retired military. While in the military, I shot on the All-Guard International Combat Team, have several Distinguished points in both pistol and rifle. I am a school trained Army Sniper and was deployed as such in Iraq in 2004-2005. Sniper trainer for our unit, won state titles and trained teams to do the same. Even though I have the skills and equipment to make long shots... personally I think it is more *Rule 1 Violation*al to not see how far we can kill game, but be responsible and close on our quarry. Too many people buying guns thinking they can shoot anything they can see.... same for guys buying crossbows thinking they can shoot 100 + yards because they saw it on YouTube. Seen too many failures of guys trying to stretch limits.... what are the limits? That's all... now I'll prepare for the onslaught of critics... View attachment 174378
Now that's a proper "Mike Drop"
Thanks for your service

Agreed...much better than his first post ever haha.:p A lot of people that have old accounts on here and 0 posts and then post something are usually trolls. Refreshing to know he is not.

To the original poster, I am trying the 168 Gr longrange accubonds out and am doing a seating depth test in the morning. I am trying them seated deep since most people have had luck with that. Shooting a 7mm Sherman Max. Bullets are averaging 3100 FPS.

I will be shooting targets out to a mile when I get the load done but only animals out as far as 800 on a calm day.

The info on the 7mm ABLR's is what first got my attention. I shoot regular AB's now, interested in trying the LR's. What also got my attention... was the 800-1200 comments etc. Not to revisit that, but.... the lines of what we "Can" do and "Should" do.... probably shouldn't be parallel... there should be some intersectionality when it comes to game... I'd argue more parallel in combat or steel/paper. We all know the guys who buy fancy rifles, scopes, apps, wind dials etc... all great tools! But then they go out and can't figure out why they missed... then they want to blame... pick your reason... lol. Often boils down to lack of experience, inability to properly call wind etc, temp/angle/altitude.... not to mention have adverse recoils flinches from their over recoil platforms etc etc. obviously if you are here you're probably not "that guy" Thanks for the welcome.... after 8 years on the forum.... Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.