Berger Hunter Hybrid vs. Nosler ABLR

7mmTikkaShooter

I'm looking into a new build in 338. Thinking a 338 LM Improved type of chambering. The thought has been to build around the Berger 300 gr. Hybrid Hunter but recently I discovered that Nosler is bringing a new 300 gr. Accubond LR offering to market for the 338. They don't have any specs published for it yet (that I've found anyway) but it would stand to reason that the b.c. and other dimensions will be similar to the Berger. Having used the 175 gr. NABLR in 7mm for several years with great success I'm a fan of the Nosler. I'm curious what others experiences are with the Hybrid Hunters and the Accubond LRs? Assuming similar accuracy results and velocity specs, which would you choose for North American game and why?

My experience with LRAB and Berger's is the LRAB are going to act the same as far as expansion more consistently than Berger's. Berger's work great but in my experience sometimes they really come apart sometimes the don't.

But really won't matter Pick the one that shoots best out of your gun both will do you fine.

My experience with LRAB and Berger's is the LRAB are going to act the same as far as expansion more consistently than Berger's. Berger's work great but in my experience sometimes they really come apart sometimes the don't.

But really won't matter Pick the one that shoots best out of your gun both will do you fine.

I tend to disagree here. If he is shooting a high velocity 300g projectile, I hope that I am not wrong in assuming that it will be fired at large, tough and possibly dangerous game. With that in mind, I am willing to sacrifice one hole groups for consistent bullet performance.

I have only used the 300gr berger on two animals, and the lrab only in the 6.5 142 on one deer. But I have shot many into my bullet test box.
The lrab generally ends up with a bit more base left to penetrate. The berger ends up being small fragments, lrab will have a shank slightly longer than the bt and a touch of lead left on that hunk.
In 300gr 338 I wouldnt hesitate to use either, although I might load some 225ttsx up and have those for any under 200y shots. A 225 at 33-3400fps does some good work up close.

I tend to disagree here. If he is shooting a high velocity 300g projectile, I hope that I am not wrong in assuming that it will be fired at large, tough and possibly dangerous game. With that in mind, I am willing to sacrifice one hole groups for consistent bullet performance.

Yes you're right about the game. Really looking at something focusing on elk and moose sized and I agree about the bullet performance vs one hole groups. I'm expecting to be able to build sub MOA accuracy out of either bullet with this build regardless. Just a little unsure which way you'd be leaning?

I recently tried to catch a 300 hybrid in a homemade trap (cardboard box layered with magazines and junk mail). The box was 24" of solid paper and I placed it out at 100 meters. Shot the Berger@2827fps from my 338 edge. It passed completely through the box-fragmented the whole way. Unbelievable amount of damage. No reservations about using for anything in North America.
The accubond and long range accubond are quality bullets as well. I get a little better accuracy on average with the Bergers and the terminal performance has been amazing. Nosler give predictable performance too.

I recently tried to catch a 300 hybrid in a homemade trap (cardboard box layered with magazines and junk mail). The box was 24" of solid paper and I placed it out at 100 meters. Shot the Berger@2827fps from my 338 edge. It passed completely through the box-fragmented the whole way. Unbelievable amount of damage. No reservations about using for anything in North America.
The accubond and long range accubond are quality bullets as well. I get a little better accuracy on average with the Bergers and the terminal performance has been amazing. Nosler give predictable performance too.

That's a cool idea. I might have to try that cardboard trap. Should make for some fun phone pics if nothing else. I've got access to a whole bunch of cardboard scraps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.