Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

It will take a bit of barrel length to get the new 195 over 3150fps. Having shot the old 200gn Wildcats, and the 189gn Cautericios out of all our big wildcat 7mms, our guess is it will take a 28 or 29" barrel to get 3150fps with our 7mm Fatmax (7mm/300 Norma imp). The RUM will do it in a 28" barrel, and our 7mm FX (7mm/338 Lapua improved, similar to Kirby's 7mm AM) in a 27" barrel. That's all sticking to 65,000psi, if your action can stand it you can go hotter than that in the 7mm FX with the 338 Lapua brass. Our 28" long barreled 7mm FX's with an 8" twist pushed the 200gn Wildcat at 3250fps, the 189gn Caut at 3350fps and the 180gn Berger at over 3400fps. I'm picking the 195gn Berger will be easier to push than the 200gn was, so I'm expecting close to 3300fps. Now that is some impressive ballistics, that should be right up there with our 338 Lunatic (338 Cheytac imp, 300gn Berger at 3250fps out of a 32" barrel), and out of a much lighter, shorter rifle. Won't have the terminal performance of the 300gn, but as far as hitting its concerned, they should be neck and neck!

no thoughts on this new fangled .28 nosler?

With a bit longer neck it would be almost the perfect match for the new 195 pushing it to 3100+ depending on barrel length. Maybe a tad shorter and to make up the capacity less case taper and sharper shoulder. That would allow it to fit in mags better

I talked to Berger last week and they told me it was going to need to be a 1:7.5 to 1:8...

They originally said 8.5". A lot of people probably already have their barrels. I suspect those people are going to be a little frustrated.

I was told by a reliable source that a 9 "might" do it above 4000' ASL but a 8.5 was recommended. I am going to start with an 8 and an 8.5 on different rifles.

I have some reservations about over twisting this caliber with the velocity we could see from some chamberings. For this reason I will stick with 5 and 6 grove barrels too.

Jeff

I have looked around the site and can't find the info on a release date for this bullet. Wondering if anyone knows when it is coming out?
Thanks!!

I have looked around the site and can't find the info on a release date for this bullet. Wondering if anyone knows when it is coming out?
Thanks!!

If you read all 48 pages of this thread, you will find the release date is somewhere between the summer of 2012 and never.

If you punch in the bullet specs on the first post into the Berger stability calculator you'll get a good idea what your going to need, in the first post Eric said at least a 1-8.5 to be stabilized that was also before the twist rate was raised not only to maximize stability but to maximize BC. Broz and I are GTG with a 1-9 but at sea level a guy maybe stable but not maximizing BC as you can see in with the calculator.
Any bullet that is at the top of the BC food chain needs a little more individual research to maximize what we're doing, mag length and seating depth along with twist rate should be dialed in to get the most benefit!

Bring it on Berger boys !

I'ma ready for da 195 gr Hybrid !

I've picked up some of the 180 Hybrids, 190 Matrix VLDs and 175 gr ABLRs to play with for now .....

7mm Long Range Hunter
300 Norma Mag cases MOM banged with 20 gr Blue Dot
108.5 gr h20 case capacity average for 20 cases
180 gr Berger Hybrid kissing rifling @ 3.507" coal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 228
Bring it on Berger boys !

I'ma ready for da 195 gr Hybrid !

I've picked up some of the 180 Hybrids, 190 Matrix VLDs and 175 gr ABLRs to play with for now .....

7mm Long Range Hunter
300 Norma Mag cases MOM banged with 20 gr Blue Dot
108.5 gr h20 case capacity average for 20 cases
180 gr Berger Hybrid kissing rifling @ 3.507" coal

That's pretty much what I had planned but I'll wait until I see the 195's and people are successful at getting them to shoot before I commit to it. What's the case capacity with 423 Dakota cases? I think I measured my 30-338 Norma Imp at 108.7 with the Dakota brass and 110.3 with Norma Brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.