Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

Eric Stecker

I am at the SCI show and am standing next to Bob Beck from EOL as I write this post. We just received the design from Bryan Litz for the new Berger 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting bullet.

It has an estimated averaged G1 BC of .794 and a G7 BC of .406. For those who understand such things this bullet has a G7 form factor of .850. For those who don't know what that means it means that this bullet is the slickest (in terms of velocity retention) on the planet.

Bryan has relayed that this bullet at an estimated 1.637" long will need at least a 1:8.5" twist to be stabilized. Rumors of this bullet (started by your's truly) started several people asking the question of what twist will be required. This is the reason for me starting this thread. So those who are interested in trying this bullet can start working on getting barrels. By the time you'd be able to get one we should have this bullet available.

Regards,
Eric

Well I guess I'm just the happy camper then because I am looking at a 7STW or 7RUM build and was chewing on what barrel I want. I was going to order a 9 twist. Looks like that will change.

Hi Eric,

You said it was the slickest bullet on the planet. Isn't the .338 300 gr hybrid with its .818 G1/.419 G7 slicker?

Thanks for making these new hybrids! I am looking forward to the .338 250 gr hybrid as well.

Hi Eric,

You said it was the slickest bullet on the planet. Isn't the .338 300 gr hybrid with its .818 G1/.419 G7 slicker?

The .338 does have a higher BC, but a great deal of that BC comes from mass (300 vs 195 grains).

The .338 cal 300 grain hybrid has a G7 form factor of 0.895, which is extremely low drag. The estimated form factor of 0.850 for the 195 grain 7mm is about 5% lower drag than the .338 bullet.

When talking about 'slick' shapes, and low drag, it's a discussion about form factor. BC is the combination of form factor and sectional density.

For more background info on form factor, refer to this web-log article:
Berger Bulletin » Form Factors: A Useful Analysis Tool

Please keep in mind this performance is estimated at this point. Estimations are usually accurate to within +/-4 or 5%. We won't know the exact form factor and BC of this bullet till it's actually made and tested.

-Bryan

My son will receive his new 7mm 300wm barrel in 1:9 twist next week. I sure hope you guys calculated the need twist rate incorrectly. But I suppose I will be the first to know because I will defiantly be buying a box when they are released to test for myself. Thank you to the you boys at berger for always pushing the envelope.
thanks, Jason

This bullet will be the one that finally pushes me to the dark side and I'm ordering a 7mm barrel. Could we get a little more detail on the 270 cal 170 gr bullet as well, going to set up a new chambering on that bullet too.

Thanks for the explanation Bryan. It is great to have you and Eric coming here.

Berger has have given many of us an excuse to start ordering fast twist 7mm barrels.

Bryan,

How do you think this bullet would perform in 800 to 1000 yard F-Class comps out of a 7mmSAUM or similar with the correct twist?

I hope my Broughton 5C 9twist will work or it's time for a new tube. Gotta love these guy's for coming up with something bigger and better!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.