Berger HUNTING Bullets

Looking over the picture, some questions come to mind. Wearing orange, might one assume you were mainly deer hunting that particular day? A 300 Win Mag would also indicate deer hunting or you are dead serious about your coyote hunting! The other rifle obviously belongs to the photographer. What cal. is it? Thanks!

We were hunting yotes, when hunting public land with my kids i always wear orange even if just out shooting on public land.

I just sometimes like to shoot the 300WM, yote hide not worth much here when price goes up i break out the 22-243. On this hunt I was just backup so thought hell ya 300WM.

the other rifle is my sons 243 mod 700 youth, lupy glass, 105 amax.

I've hunted with Bergers, accubonds, and the tsx. Honestly the accubond is the only one I haven't experienced a failure of any kind with. That said, the only failure I've had with a Berger was actually my own fault. I shot a spike bull square in the shoulder with a 210 vld at 60 yds with a mv of 3210. He was in some thick timber and the shoulder was all I had to shoot at and in the heat of the moment the bullet I was using had completely slipped my mind. It knocked him off his feet but he was still very much alive till another behind the ear dispatched him for good. When cutting him up I found that not a single piece of the bullet had made it through the scapula. Poor shot placement on my part. Otherwise they have worked fine for me on 3 other elk, a couple deer, and a couple antelope. I have noticed somewhat of a trend in the failure comments. It seems most of them are the 180gr 7mm and the 210 30 cal.

Anyone have any comments concerning Bergers in the smaller calibers? I have a .257 Wby and have considered loading some 115's for testing. I have had good success out to 500 yards with 100 grain NBT's on Whitetail. Just thought it might be fun to see what how the Bergers perform.

Anyone have any comments concerning Bergers in the smaller calibers? I have a .257 Wby and have considered loading some 115's for testing. I have had good success out to 500 yards with 100 grain NBT's on Whitetail. Just thought it might be fun to see what how the Bergers perform.

They work fantastic in my .257Wby.

Around here. coyotes are consider fair game anytime.... Good shot, one down and thousands to go....lol
Years ago I was driving home during an ice storm and I mean three inches of ice on everything and more coming down.

I'm slipping and sliding along just trying to get home when three run across the highway in front of me and out into an open wheat field.

I slide about a hundred yards to a stop right in the middle of the highway, not a car in sight for miles other than the state trooper right behind me.

I flip up the Ruger No 1 220Swift, and pop, one goes down, pop, second goes down... Just then I hear "no way you'll make it three" and at the same moment he got the three out the slow one did about 3.5 cartwheels.

I put it up and got to laughing with the cop asking him if I was going to get one ticket or three.... . He laughed even harder and said, "For what? That was either a public service or mercy killing as far as I can tell".

I then let him take a couple of shots with it.gun)

I shot some 2 years ago in my .260 Rem including a couple of deer.

Was not happy with the results so I haven't shot them again. In both cases shooting just behind the shoulder they just penciled through.

I recovered both deer but both of them ran over a hundred yards and if not for the fact they were in the middle of a large wheat field they might well have been lost.

The way they ran there was really no indication they were even hit until they started running out of gas.

We've shot the 115 out to just under 500 yards on deer and it worked awesome, longest one was a mule buck he trotted about 100 yards without a bottom half of his heart, leaking like a sieve the whole way.
I've shot a pile of deer and elk with the 140 Berger in both 270 and 6.5 call, never a need for a second shot, lungs and heart always look like a blender went through them.
I've watched a whitetail doe run out in the 200 yard range and when I opened her up her heart was mostly gone, there were chuncks of it in the first few yards that were falling out, running dead is all I've seen unless I target the shoulder which I hate to do.

We've shot the 115 out to just under 500 yards on deer and it worked awesome, longest one was a mule buck he trotted about 100 yards without a bottom half of his heart, leaking like a sieve the whole way.
I've shot a pile of deer and elk with the 140 Berger in both 270 and 6.5 call, never a need for a second shot, lungs and heart always look like a blender went through them.
I've watched a whitetail doe run out in the 200 yard range and when I opened her up her heart was mostly gone, there were chuncks of it in the first few yards that were falling out, running dead is all I've seen unless I target the shoulder which I hate to do.

I thought all the write-ups that I have seen on your elk hunting experiences were with the 160 and 165 matrixs? And they were with a 270wsm and othere was the 6.5I was thinking that was like 2011-2013 seasons? How were you getting multiples?

I thought all the write-ups that I have seen on your elk hunting experiences were with the 160 and 165 matrixs? And they were with a 270wsm and othere was the 6.5I was thinking that was like 2011-2013 seasons? How were you getting multiples?

The first 270 WSM I ran had an 11 twist and it was a few years before Matrix came on the scene and I shot 140 Bergers at 3300 fps and the 140 Accubond at 3350 fps, at 1200 rounds it no longer would group with either which took me a year, I didn't start shooting the Matrix till after burning of another barrel and the third 270 WSM was a 1-10 MTU Lawton and I pulled it and put the first 6.5 SS barrel on it which has primarily shot 140 Bergers but I've also shot a lot of 140 Cutting Edge bullets along with some Matrix. That was back when we were shooting 7 whitetail a season also, two elk tags a year and having guys shoot my rifle as much as possible will rack up the numbers!

Any other questions?:D

The first 270 WSM I ran had an 11 twist and it was a few years before Matrix came on the scene and I shot 140 Bergers at 3300 fps and the 140 Accubond at 3350 fps, at 1200 rounds it no longer would group with either which took me a year, I didn't start shooting the Matrix till after burning of another barrel and the third 270 WSM was a 1-10 MTU Lawton and I pulled it and put the first 6.5 SS barrel on it which has primarily shot 140 Bergers but I've also shot a lot of 140 Cutting Edge bullets along with some Matrix. That was back when we were shooting 7 whitetail a season also, two elk tags a year and having guys shoot my rifle as much as possible will rack up the numbers!

Any other questions?:D

Nope I just missed all your berger threads. Being you are so pro- berger. I only recalled the matrix threads. And even on those threads it was like you shot one elk not multiples. That is why I asked, and you said "I killed" I Didn't believe you were referring to everyone else. I could honestly careless what anyone does, just nice for the truth to be out there without the shooter failed. Just seems you are trying to stick up for bergers to the end of the world. And unless you have a in or trying to get a in with berger I just don't see the point. It can be simply I have great experiences with them. But the over the top protecting bergers is what I cannot figure out. I agree they have been a decent bullet, But I will back that they have problems. More frequently than they used to. Is this because more animals are getting shot with them? Maybe. But also more are steering away from them than ever before as well. I think saying this is a catch all bullet or giving the impression it is, is something that cannot be said. I have seen more people hunting in such close ranges could use far better bullets than a long range bullet. This alone would eliminate some failures or at least lost animals. These are a great bullet because how they fly and buck the wind for the long range world. But maybe the education of long range hunting should be more so how much b.c. you need compared to the application or style you are hunting. This is just my opinion, and everyone else has theirs. I just see this thread like the ones years ago, how somebody failed the bullet, not the bullet failed. The only difference is now there is more cases, as opposed to before.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.