finding 140gr 6.5 berger VLD hunting bullets?

mcseal2

I have been unable to locate any, and from what I've read this is a common problem now. Any idea where they have some or when Berger will get more out?

When you call around, check for old inventories of the target bullets. The hunting bullets are the exact same bullet as the old thin skinned target variety....Rich

I like the 140s... Better BC and the 264 Win mag pushes them plenty fast... VERY accurate in my rifle.

I also prefer the 140's in my 264, but I had it built with the right twist for them. Check the twist in your gun before choosing a Berger.

I'll be running them thru a 6.5-06AI w/Lilja 1-8. Have enough twist for the 140-142 range without any problem there. I'm just not sure if I wanna use 130 or 140's. Kinda sounds like 140 anythings is what most are using.

How do you think the 140 Accubond would compare to the 140 Berger as a hunting bullet? I know the Berger has a better BC.

Berger has a bad habit of running out of the 6.5 VLDs, Always buy a couple extra boxes and keep some in reserve, that way when you can't find any, you still have some to shoot. I've got 8 boxes of the 140 VLDs right now. I shoot them in 3 different rifles.

The accubonds have been easy to find an accurate load with in everything I've tried them in, and they have excellent terminal performance in my opinion. I've used them in every caliber from 25-30 with nearly identical performance in all cases. They open very quickly to start the wound channel and hold together well to penetrate. They open fast enough to drop coyotes in their tracks and I've yet to had a whitetail run over 100yds after the hit. The bullets have all exited also on everything smaller than elk even at bad angles through bone.

The downside is that the accubonds boattail is so small it doesn't add much to the BC. I use accubonds in everything except my specialized long range rig, the 264.

The bergers don't always leave exit wounds, but do enough internal damage to immediately disable deer size game. They don't do as good a job on coyotes in my experience, they penetrate 2-3" before expansion and that is pretty deep into a coyote.

Personally I prefer the terminal performance of the accubond, but like the improved BC of the berger enough to use them in my 264. I've never had a deer take a step after being hit with a berger, but I worry about the lack of exit wounds if I eventually botch a shot. I use accubonds in every other rifle, but trust the bergers for the 264, my favorite rifle. I shoot the 264 if I expect a 300+yd shot to be more likely than a 100-yd shot, or if the wind is howling.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.