Berger HUNTING Bullets

Here are some pics of bergers that the shooter did not fail. The bull had took one quartering away at 775 yards, turned took one square on behind the shoulder and went down. We get 200-300 yards and look the bull is standing there. This bullet went through both shoulders and was against the hide. It is a 300 grain elite hunter at 3000 fps. I wonder what would have happen if this shot was farther out?

Attachments

• 20151125_101224.jpg
    20151125_101224.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20151125_101233.jpg
    20151125_101233.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 20151125_101241.jpg
    20151125_101241.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 20151125_101333.jpg
    20151125_101333.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 66
Here is the bullet from 2013. The bullet that cause me to sell my edge that was doing 2830 fps because I said I failed the bullet. I said I shot that bull to far at 1435 yards. So I built a gun to speed the velocities up to maintain my 1800 fps to 1400 yards and still getting problems. This bull could not have been shot any better and was dead right there, but this bullet performance was not a success in my mind. I took responsibility and built a gun for my application.

2014 the bull dropped and perfect success with the bullet.

2015 was one bull shot square in the shoulder and bullet went up the shoulder blade and out the top of his back. Never entered the rib cage at all. 880 yards, was finished to behind the ear when he got up and ran at about 40 yards.

The bull in the previous post shot three times, two on or behind the shoulder and one quartering.

Then mine shot twice at 580, one opened hard and one blew through.

Attachments

• DSC_0499.jpg
    DSC_0499.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0498.jpg
    DSC_0498.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0501.jpg
    DSC_0501.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 50
Here is three bullets I took a picture of today after I noticed the lead tip bullet. This is the third one I found in 500 box. The left of the three is a closed tip. Center a lead tip exposed and right, is what I call a ideal killing tip one. Nice hole and clean open tip. So out of these three bullets could I expect the same kills?

Attachments

• 20151130_182821.jpg
    20151130_182821.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20151130_182838.jpg
    20151130_182838.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 20151130_182903.jpg
    20151130_182903.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 62
Here is three bullets I took a picture of today after I noticed the lead tip bullet. This is the third one I found in 500 box. The left of the three is a closed tip. Center a lead tip exposed and right, is what I call a ideal killing tip one. Nice hole and clean open tip. So out of these three bullets could I expect the same kills?

Do these bullets vary in weight? They certainly vary in length. I would guess the middle one would be much heavier. They are all from the same box?

Steve

Well contact Berger because you've had more fail than any single person I know and your having repeat issues, heck maybe you can figure it out. I have one single Berger not open and it was a hit through the flank that hit nothing going through, it would have taken a varmint bullet to open. We tried to push the 300 gr OTM to find the low end and we had a very light hit through the ribs on an antelope, hole in the lungs were about an inch so it looked to open a little same range on elk and it opened every time. I've witness my buddies 338 RUM shot 5 elk and three antelope with the 300 OTM a couple close and the others in the 800-1100 range and the wound channels have been constant with the hits, all one shot kills but only one was shot through any heavy bone just ahead of the shoulder in the neck which nearly decapitated it, the rest all went through the slats, they just wobble a few steps then fall on their nose or flip over, all have exited.

I'm not saying this to appose your view but why the heck can one guy have kill after kill with easy one shot dead then another have half of them go to hell, could it be traced to an issue in a lot or one press or bullet die set or we have shot different lots. Could it be the different shot placement, heck I don't know, I find this as frustrating as you cause if I can't nail down a reason then maybe it will happen to a guy I recommended them to and I hate the though of that.
I have not caught a 300 gr Berger in anything alive, you have several, what's the difference I should have had an issue based on the number of animals hit, been watching for it to happen since the one you had at 1400+, in fact after talking to you about that I've dialed in my gun for the shot to back the 338 up if needed but never have, but most of our kills will be with lighter cals and the 338 only when we can pull it and have time for setting up the ground cannon.

bigngreen, I am not trying to fight even though it comes off that way through the computer. It is just things happen and it dumb founds me. Why. How come. And it really bothers me after we have increased the the velocities up and still see weird things happen. I have sat here scratching my head for over a month trying to figure out how can a 300 grain any bullet not make it into the chest cavity on a bull at 880 yards. Hit the shoulder and followed straight up and out the top. Baffles me, That shot could never be duplicated again in a million years. Or the controlled expansion bullet. How does that happen at 200 yards, Too hard of copper? These are the elite hunters, all weight sorted and then tips are checked and resorted.
I am with you there has to be something. I would give Erick any info that he wants. I seen on the other thread that He considers a bullet failure, as one that does not put the animal down on one shot. I think this is way to far to go. But understand what he strives for.

bigngreen, I am not trying to fight even though it comes off that way through

Ditto, I was about to just call you, I'm just wondering the same stuff just from another angle!!
I have some thought about why a bullet turns out like your bull or the ones I've shot with copper bullets but I should be out rebarreling a 7mag not on the web!!

Well contact Berger because you've had more fail than any single person I know and your having repeat issues, heck maybe you can figure it out.

Not associated with Berger in any way shape or form but let me guess at what kind of response you'd get.

We have not been able to duplicate these kind of results in all of our testing, we are very concerned about reports like this, we are going so far as hiring a metals engineer or someone of that sort to look into everything we do to come up with an answer plus building a special testing facility to get to the bottom of this etc., etc..

My Berger kill (2nd Berger kill for me; only on with some pics):

T/C Encore 30-338 WM. 30 cal Berger 175 VLDH bullet running 2725 muzzle velocity with this particular load. The doe weighed 96 lbs. field dressed.

Entrance:

Entrance - no hide:

Exit:

Exit - no hide:

Deer was shot at a close range of ~50 yds. She ran maybe 60 yards after the shot leaving a good blood trail. Both lungs were hit. While lung damage was evident, they were still intact with bullet hole evident in both lungs.

I have killed 2 deer with a 7mm Berger 180 gn VLD Hybrid. One mule deer at 540 yards and a Whitetail at 150 yds. Both dropped right there. The Mulie took a minute to die but the Whitetail was dead before it hit the ground. I shot the Whitetail through the shoulder and it never exited the opposite side, but like I said the deer never moved a muscle after it hit the ground.

Do these bullets vary in weight? They certainly vary in length. I would guess the middle one would be much heavier. They are all from the same box?

Steve

HuntFarther,

Same question. Could you respond? First Berger I've seen with lead protruding from its tip. Was the shorter bullet straight out of the same box as the other two?

Last edited:
Deer was shot at a close range of ~50 yds. She ran maybe 60 yards after the shot leaving a good blood trail. Both lungs were hit. While lung damage was evident said:
You have enough scope rings holding that scope on?????:D fewer quality rings are a whole lot better than a bunch of cheap azzed ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.