hunting with Berger bullets

Berger bullets are for paper only, BUT, because of John Burns, and his feedback, Berger has become his sponsor, and yes, they are similar to Sierra Matchkings. Strong enough for an animal, but made for paper.

I spoke with Eric at Berger just the other day regarding this very subject. He is the one that told me about Berger's shift to long range hunting.

My only question to him was, what if I'm out searching for that 625 yard antelope and I see him at 50. If I shoot, what will the bullet do? I've not heard back as of yet.

How about a 6" exit with a scapula 30 feet in the air!? What was left of the lungs was all sparkly.

I shot a blacktail doe at 40 yards out of a 30-06, bullet entered and exploded found a few pieces of jacket and meat damage was tremendous. I was not impressed. That is probably contrary to many folks's opinions.

I have used 175s in my 30-06 for years, and recently 168s in a 7 mag. Both work well. Keep them off too much heavy bone and animals drop half the time. The other half the time they go a ways, dead, but they'll make it 100 yards.

This has all been on fat farmland blacktail deer.

Old thread with a subject that's been beaten more than a rented mule.
Yes hunting Bergers work wonderfully on game just stay off the shoulder if you plan on getting any meat. Lung shot and you will find jello inside.
Yup Broz made an observation over at LRO. I believe when he was comparing monos (CE) to CC (Bergers) he noted monos tend to work better when hitting heavy bone prior to the vitals. CC work better in the crease. That might help people with better performance. We all like DRT but I think we should keep in mind that the will to live is far greater in some animals. I shot shoulders shots breaking the front shoulder and still had bucks run off. A meat sow which I nailed perfect broadside didn't have much of her lungs or heart left and she ran uphill for over 100 yards. Both recovered pretty easily. The only ones I had drop on the spot were cns hits. YMMV

The only ones I had drop on the spot were cns hits. YMMV

Thank you. Agreed.

Hunting down South where you don't want to track the deer through thorny, rattler infested brush country, you want to collect them on the senderos.

Lifted this from the errornet. Other variations, works just as well. NO headshots for this kid. Just a personal thing, over time seen and have put down a couple with their jaws shot and hanging down.

whitetailvitals_bones-1.jpg

Thank you. Agreed.

Hunting down South where you don't want to track the deer through thorny, rattler infested brush country, you want to collect them on the senderos.

Lifted this from the errornet. Other variations, works just as well. NO headshots for this kid. Just a personal thing, over time seen and have put down a couple with their jaws shot and hanging down.

View attachment 382236
Yeah I dropped the idea of a head shot also. Much for the same reasons you stated. That is the shot I had them drop on the spot. I learned when hunting for some reason if I shoot kneeling it sends my hits high. It doesn't when I practice my field position shooting. To this day I'm not sure why.

Yeah I dropped the idea of a head shot also. Much for the same reasons you stated. That is the shot I had them drop on the spot. I learned when hunting for some reason if I shoot kneeling it sends my hits high. It doesn't when I practice my field position shooting. To this day I'm not sure why.
Recoil management. Like we said back in the iron sight days when you see the aperture come straight at you on recoil, that should be a center barring any wind change during shot execution. The reason I still use sling in prone or sitting position in hunting. I practice a bit kneeling, as that's more useable in most field shot opportunity

Recoil management. The reason I still use sling in prone or sitting position in hunting. I practice a bit kneeling, as that's more useable in most field shot opportunity
that's what I was thinking but with a kneeling shot for me it's usually because I spotted something while stalking. So I'm not usually slung when walking or stalking. I usually walk with rifle in my hands. Slung with Keeper's Keeper it usually reserve for sitting with shooting sticks or prone. When I practise kneeling I shoot unslung the same as when in the field. Or a hasty sling. The only difference is shooting terrain or the simple fact it's live game. But I don't get "buck fever" when big game hunting. I think it's due to the training I received. I do get it early during rock chuck season lol

Love the high shoulder shot with a bullet that penetrates. Lot's of things going for you - 1) you often break both shoulders leading to structural collapse 2) the bullet or bone shrapnel damages the CNS 3) there is a large nerve complex for the front legs that is in the shoulder area and that can get disrupted.

that's what I was thinking but with a kneeling shot for me it's usually because I spotted something while stalking. So I'm not usually slung when walking or stalking. I usually walk with rifle in my hands. Slung with Keeper's Keeper it usually reserve for sitting with shooting sticks or prone. When I practise kneeling I shoot unslung the same as when in the field. Or a hasty sling. The only difference is shooting terrain or the simple fact it's live game. But I don't get "buck fever" when big game hunting. I think it's due to the training I received. I do get it early during rock chuck season lol

Keep a Garand sling on the forward arm ready to hook to the swivel el pronto. Practice I used in service rifle matches when program calls for standing to sitting before leaving the 200 yard line. Two slings, one on the rifle parade position for 200 standing. Shed it and use the one around the arm during ready period for rapid fire. Saves precious time.

Note: I never used leather.

Last edited:
Love the high shoulder shot with a bullet that penetrates. Lot's of things going for you - 1) you often break both shoulders leading to structural collapse 2) the bullet or bone shrapnel damages the CNS 3) there is a large nerve complex for the front legs that is in the shoulder area and that can get disrupted.
Absolutely! Accubond-high shoulder. Berger-behind shoulder