Berger HUNTING Bullets

Weird that they're differing lengths and lead plugging the tip in the one, yet they all weigh about the same. Maybe weight is the primary QA/QC control. Clearly bullet length isn't.

I'd like to know, for at least my own knowledge/use/correction, the source of failures to expand on game. I don't have much tolerance for full metal jacket performance from a hunting bullet. It happens a minority of the time but I want the majority of the time performance to the extent possible. So lead to the very tips of the bullets, differing bullet lengths that could result in solid closed tips due to the jacket being pinched together in the bullet swagging dies, different jacket thickness at the tip, or anywhere else on the bullet... For example, where did the rest of the jacket material end up on the short-stacked bullet? Or did that jacket not begin life in the manufacturing cycle with a sufficient mass/volume of material? Overall bullet length is an important quality control check, since it could identify a bullet with greater potential to fail - when impacting large game. So that was the crux of the comments/questions in my earlier post.

OK. I'm off topic and will back out. Just let me say first that you "don't set the ogive". You change seating depths when reloading, based on where the ogive meets the lands, to obtain the best group that your rifle can shoot. It makes one helluva difference in Long Range Hunting. If Minute of Pie Plate works for someone, I'm good with that. It doesn't satisfy my shooting/hunting goals however.

I may have used the incorrect terminology but when I say setting ogive. I would load all the shells .010" long and then with a comparator go back and measure, dial and seat. Then keep repeating. That is what I call setting the ogive. Without doing this in my huntig rifle I shot a 9" three shot group at 2480 yards. It may be minute of pie plate but not sure I can personally do much better.

I may have used the incorrect terminology but when I say setting ogive. I would load all the shells .010" long and then with a comparator go back and measure, dial and seat. Then keep repeating. That is what I call setting the ogive. Without doing this in my huntig rifle I shot a 9" three shot group at 2480 yards. It may be minute of pie plate but not sure I can personally do much better.
Doesn't sound minute of pie plate. I am unfamiliar with shooting that far, but if that were a 5 shot group, it may be a new all time world record?

I'm new to all this and just picked up a box of the 215 grain 30 cal Berger hybrids for my .300 win mag. This is a bullet that lots of people use for elk hunting and it's the bullet that my custom elk rifle is currently being designed/built around. Should I be alarmed by the fact that "NOT SUITABLE FOR HUNTING" is printed on the top of the box??

I'm new to all this and just picked up a box of the 215 grain 30 cal Berger hybrids for my .300 win mag. This is a bullet that lots of people use for elk hunting and it's the bullet that my custom elk rifle is currently being designed/built around. Should I be alarmed by the fact that "NOT SUITABLE FOR HUNTING" is printed on the top of the box??
treillw,
The box has that warning on it because we have not tested these bullet in a hunting situation to confirm their performance on game consistently results in clean, humane kills . Now haviNg said that there are hunters on this website that have used them with great success such as BROZ who has a good bullet performance string in the ELK HUNTING string in the forums I believe. The target bullets do have a slightly thicker jacket that our hunting bullets ( which are our previous target bullets). This thicker jacket seems to produce smaller wound channels and often leaves exit wounds. The Hunting VLD and CLASSIC HUNTER bullets penetrate 2-5 inches , the nose of the bullet folds over, comes off forming shrapnel that shreds the vitals causing tremendous Hydraulic shock to the animal usually causing instant incapacitate and death. The bullet also rarely exits the animal resulting in all the force of the bullet strike being applied to the animal. As you have been reading this string and others you see there are hunters with differing experiences with hunting bullets , ours included. Every hunter strives for that shot and that bullet that drops game right where they stand. Unfortunately we ( this includes soldiers and law enforcement) are all dealing with living creatures who sometimes don't realize they are dead and continue to function for a time as if nothing is wrong and move off before expiring. Or something happens in the process of the bullet striking the animal or on the way to striking the animal that result in an unexpected lack of bullet performance. Or the bullet fails for some reason. The last issue is hard to pin down because bullets tend not to repeat issues in the same way each time. We are putting resources in place so we can test our bullets and see whats what to get you guys the most consistent bullet performance we can. The best I can tell you all is its best to be prepared for anything after you pull the trigger with any bullet you use.

Despite the mixed feelings I have on Bergers I'll be giving the 300gr elite hunters a shot when my 338 Lapua is in from Defensive Edge.

Despite the mixed feelings I have on Bergers I'll be giving the 300gr elite hunters a shot when my 338 Lapua is in from Defensive Edge.
TXAoudadKlr,
Thank you for giving us a try sir. Load data for the 338 Lapua is on our website along with other 338 cartridges . These are under the RELOADING tab on our home page. Scroll down to the cartridge list , click on the cartridge and then click on the bullet weight on the screen that pops up that has the cartridge drawing. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any more loading questions or bullet performance results. [email protected]
Thank you !

TXAoudadKlr,
Thank you for giving us a try sir. Load data for the 338 Lapua is on our website along with other 338 cartridges . These are under the RELOADING tab on our home page. Scroll down to the cartridge list , click on the cartridge and then click on the bullet weight on the screen that pops up that has the cartridge drawing. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any more loading questions or bullet performance results. [email protected]
Thank you !

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.