Barnes LRX bullet in 30 Cal

XParaman

Iam disapointed in Hornaday, they have suspended production of the 180 gr Interbond bullet, my go to bullet for elk, now I have to start searching for a new bullet. Has anyone had any experience witht the Barnes LRX bullet? I do not like Nosler, so thats out, and when you start with some of the others like Bear Claw etc, it gets pretty expensive for a Retired Military guy. Barnes is always touted, but I believe in you guys opinion, I have found it to be solid. So, is this a good, killing bullet or just more hype?

I can't speak specifically on the 175LRX, though I loaded a bunch for my stepson in a .300WM. If they're as good as the Barnes' I've been shooting, I don't think that you'll be disappointed. memtb

Have shot a bunch of whitetail, one elk and three antelope with the 145lrx in 7mm. They are killing machines that like to go fast! They can be tricky when finding seating depth but I shoot them in 3 different rifles, 6mm to 30 cal and after a little development they all shoot.

Too bad you don't like Nosler. The 180 Accubond is what you need. Similar to the Interbond. What"s your beef with Nosler? mtmuley

What are you shooting a 300 WM, 308, 300 RUM? For elk you could go 215 Berger, 200 gr + Hornady ELD-X, 200 AccuBond.

I have had some bad experices with Nosler. I had a partition explode in a deer, and the weights of the bullets I have tested were all over the place.

I haven't put an LRX into anything but I got 1/3moa accuracy pretty easy out of my 300AX. I've used TTSX's with good terminal results, I have no doubt that the LRX won't be any different. I must ask though have you looked at the Swift Sirocco? It's a pretty good bonded bullet with good B.C. I never had any problems with the Sirocco's when Remington loaded them in factory ammo. They were a favorite of mine and my 7mm Rem Mag.

A Partition explode? Really? Details please. And of the weights of Nosler bullets being "all over the place". Explain that too. mtmuley

I have had some bad experices with Nosler. I had a partition explode in a deer, and the weights of the bullets I have tested were all over the place.

Really surprises me that a partion would do that no matter what Harland you are a fan of the partion is usually the one that never fails. Not great bc but they always work. I just had the same thing with the 85gr interbond. I had great luck with them but have now moved over to nosler. Had very good results many deer and pigs killed. Just keep in mind every bullet will have a failure at some point. Hornady, nosler, Berger, and Barnes all have had them. Just a quick search and you'll see what I'm mean. Seems like there are far more failures from Barnes and Berger not expanding than nosler or hornady. I would stick with nosler if hornady is out. Those are my go to for bonded bullets.

My dad had a TTSX loose all of its petals shortly after entering and had over expansion problems with the Nosler ballistic silver tip no bullet is has gone with out the some issue but those are typically few and far between.

My dad had a TTSX loose all of its petals shortly after entering and had over expansion problems with the Nosler ballistic silver tip no bullet is has gone with out the some issue but those are typically few and far between.

Correct the only one you almost never hear a horror story is partitions. That's why it's crazy. I have hoped for a long time that nosler would make a boat tail polymer tip high bc partion. Oh well

Correct the only one you almost never hear a horror story is partitions. That's why it's crazy. I have hoped for a long time that nosler would make a boat tail polymer tip high bc partion. Oh well

it is kind of weird it would fail like what was described, I could imagine it being possible for the front portion to some how break off but that still leaves the base going on through. I'm with you on higher B.C partition. Just adding a polymer tip and an more aggressive boat tail would make it just that much better than what it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.