Barnes LRX bullet in 30 Cal

I weight all my bullets before reloading, to get as close as possible to insure accuracy. When I was looking for a bullet to load for elk, I got a bunch of differant bullets to try, and while weighing them nosler was one of the worst for exact weight. As for the partition, I was hunting deer and shot one in the side, the bullet expoded and there was nothing left other then very small pieces throughout the deer. I was disgusted and have never used them since. It was about a 125 yd shot hitting it just behind the front leg.

I have considered the Swift Sirocco. I am somewhat anal on bullets I guess, and want to get as accurate a bulet as possible. I have to make some long shots here in Nv as the country is so open that you have a very difficult time getting close to make a shot. Plus, Iam 70 and past the creeping and crawling age. I will try them out

Man my dad still uses parties for everything from moose to elk. But I'm with you one bad experience can change everything. If your are looking for a bullet that will do what he partition does but don't want them check out the cutting edge bullets. I've been using them for about everything lately. The design does what it says so you get the shock of a lead bullet with the penetration of a Barnes. They are expensive but if only using for hunting who cares if they work well. **** everything is expensive and I refuse to complain about a couple bucks for great bullets when a trophy walks out. Not to mention most people drink a few beers everynight hunting but don't bitch about the couple bucks those cost but seem to scream when I tell them what CEB cost.

I have considered the Swift Sirocco. I am somewhat anal on bullets I guess, and want to get as accurate a bulet as possible. I have to make some long shots here in Nv as the country is so open that you have a very difficult time getting close to make a shot. Plus, Iam 70 and past the creeping and crawling age. I will try them out

they were accurate for me factory gun and ammo averaged 3/4 MOA sometimes it would group under that.

I have used the 175 LRX in my 30-338. I did load work up and shot tiny little groups. Took it out on a MD hunt and killed a 4x4 at 90 yards. The shot was not optimal, almost straight away. Could barely see the last rib and took the shot. bullet clipped the rear quarter went in behind the last rib, broke the shoulder ball socket and came to rest just under the skin about a 1/3 of the way up the neck. perfect expansion with all 4 petals like in pictures. Penetration was approximately 36 inches.

I have used the 175 LRX in my 30-338. I did load work up and shot tiny little groups. Took it out on a MD hunt and killed a 4x4 at 90 yards. The shot was not optimal, almost straight away. Could barely see the last rib and took the shot. bullet clipped the rear quarter went in behind the last rib, broke the shoulder ball socket and came to rest just under the skin about a 1/3 of the way up the neck. perfect expansion with all 4 petals like in pictures. Penetration was approximately 36 inches.

Sounds like the perfect shot the Barnes are made for. When you gotta drive it in deep they are hard to beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.