**New** Barnes LRX 208 gr in 30 caliber

Barnes have the bc & sd #'s listed in their load data for the 300 PRC

ED42870A-0AB7-4F0A-98C7-8F62A58C0233.jpeg

Just got a bunch of these in and they are quite a bit slicker than any LRX bullet I've seen yet (minus the 212 gr Bore Rider)

Apparrently Barnes redesigned the entire bullet geared towards lower velocity expansion for long range hunting and improved the bc over the previous LRX version

Need at least an 8.5 Twist barrel and luckily I had 8 twist barrels installed on several of my wildcats and have 4 barrels in 7.5 twist coming by mid summer

Can't wait to see what they have coming in 338 cal

View attachment 270994
Any practical experience on whether a 9 twist will get it done?

If I could find them, I would. The only challenge is fitting them in a magazine.

They work fine in 300 Norma Mag.
What powder are you using in the Norma? I want to find some of theses as the 3-0 Norma I just bought will likely be my backup hunting rifle. Currently my primary is a 300 ultra mag running the 200 LRX over retumbo which I haven't found for 2 years)

I typed a message but wasn't signed in so here it is again. (paraphrasing myself)
If one deducts the length of the plastic tip, the bullet is then 1.51 inches long. Using the Greenhill method for .30 caliber, the required twist is then 1/9.42
This may be a long shot pardon the pun but in the past I was successful in shooting very accurately at all ranges a .308 rifle with a 1/12 twist using a Sierra 190 grains HPBT. Sierra's customer service explained to me that that particular bullet had a small bearing surface which allowed proper stabilization in a slow twist.
If we look at the Barnes LRX discussed in this blog, it is quite long with the tip, without it, it isn't that long and the boatail is pronounced, the bullet also has a long non bearing ogive. All this in my view may allow this bullet to be stabilized in slower twists than 1in8.5 although I recognize that manufacturers like Barnes know their product far better than the consumer, I feel it's worth experimenting. I'll do this in the next couple of months and report here.

I typed a message but wasn't signed in so here it is again. (paraphrasing myself)
If one deducts the length of the plastic tip, the bullet is then 1.51 inches long. Using the Greenhill method for .30 caliber, the required twist is then 1/9.42
This may be a long shot pardon the pun but in the past I was successful in shooting very accurately at all ranges a .308 rifle with a 1/12 twist using a Sierra 190 grains HPBT. Sierra's customer service explained to me that that particular bullet had a small bearing surface which allowed proper stabilization in a slow twist.
If we look at the Barnes LRX discussed in this blog, it is quite long with the tip, without it, it isn't that long and the boatail is pronounced, the bullet also has a long non bearing ogive. All this in my view may allow this bullet to be stabilized in slower twists than 1in8.5 although I recognize that manufacturers like Barnes know their product far better than the consumer, I feel it's worth experimenting. I'll do this in the next couple of months and report here.
Why wouldn't the plastic tip matter?
It's still contributing to overall projectile length. Just curious what the basis for that is.

Because it is much lighter than a tip in metal or lead, it has far less effecft in the gyroscopy and stability of the bullet in flight. It is primarily an enhancement to the ballistic coefficient.
Okay I get that but, hear me out, isn't stability a lot more about length than weight? For
Example I have some retro 30 cal 250 grain hawk round nose that stabilize just fine in a 10 twist .300 Winnie. Try that with a 250 atip. Not about the weight as much as the length (also 220 rn bullets have no issues whatsoever in a 12 twist .308 …220 eld x not so much.