Are there good, lightweight scopes with reliable tracking?

Just ordered another nightforce 2.5-10 for a 5lb .284. The previous one was just fine for 6-700 yd marmots. They're available on several sites now for $1600. I paid that for one 6-7 years ago. I'll gladly take the little bit of weight for a scope I can trust.

I would try the new vortex razor lht. I am planning on getting one for my 28 Nosler. Seems they have made some internal changes and I like the lock system. I have had good luck with the slightly older vx3 cds. So I assume the vx5. Would be good it's my other option I'm just not sure about the lock and what appears to be a button on the turret.

IF you are building a hunting rifle, there is no need for hyper accurate tracking as you won't be dialing. Get a high quality fixed or FFP variable with a ballistic holdover reticle. The Trijicon Credo 2-10x36mm Riflescope, is 24 oz, FFP, great reticle and you can dial if you wish.
A scope either dials correctly or it doesn't- a lot don't.
This is a LONG RANGE hunting forum, if the OP wasn't going to be dialing, he would be on a SHORT RANGE hunting forum.

I've got a vx3i 30mm with side focus and cds. 4.5-14. Glass is very good. You get 14 moa of adjustment. It's good for out to 7-800 depending on you caliber and zero. For under 600 it's hard to beat.

I'm on this forum and shoot most of my deer with a bow. Long range to me is 60 yards. Everybody's definition of long range is different. I say let everybody on this site the more the better. I do shoot paper at long range. 1000 yard matches. But swamplord would say that's short range because he has cartridges that can go from Newyork to CA. Well almost that far.
Shep

My distance will be 600 yards and under. I know many use the reticle alone for that. My comfortable approach though is dialing. 95% of my rifle shooting as it's at the range with a TAC A1 and an ATACR F1, dialing for distance. I was hoping to have the same approach for range & hunting, thus the interest in a reliably tracking scope like the NF. Yes, I can use the reticle, but I prefer not to :)

I've had people recommend I get the Leupold with the Impact-29 reticle so I can use it instead of dialing, but the reason they say that is they don't trust the scope's tracking.

I've been watching threads on many sites about the vortex LRT and it's tracking seems to be great. Different people have said the glass is excellent and some said not great. But all have said tracking is 100 percent so far. I'm is same boat as you. Vx5 is best price then the vortex and then the vx6. But I can buy 2 VX6s for the price of one vx6. Vx5 has same glass and top turret. So I might go that route.
Shep

I really think any of those options would be great the vortex razor lht. Leupold vx6. Or vx5. Depends on what you want to spend. I have an older vortex razor light hunter. And it's glass is amazing. I also have vx3 s and their glass is plenty good. So look at what you want to spend the features u want or don't want and go from there. All three are good options.

Have had zero issues tracking with Swaro Z5's excellent lightweight scope only restriction is you only get 13.25 moa in elevation, but plenty in a lightweight rig. Have run 8 different Swaro Z5or Z3 Ballistic turret scoped with no issues at all.

You are lucky or got all the good ones. I did not have that kind of experience.

I've had good luck with my vx6 3-18 moa reticle. It's primary use is hunting and I use a FFP mil for comp. So for me this is a great scope, decent weight, excellent glass, CDS stop is really nice and low turret height. Even if this scope was not exactly dead on for tracking, for the ranges you are hunting the difference will be very minimal. Leupold warranty dept is excellent so if you have an issue, it should be a non-event. I like my 6 enough I'd buy another and may do so this year for my other light hunting rifle I built. It has a vx3 now. FYI, I did sell my NF NXS as a result of this leupold being such a decent scope.

I own all 3 brands mentioned
NX8
Swaro Z-6
Swaro Z-5
Leupolds

These are the best lightweight choices, Swaro would be my pich for hunting. in a BT turret and have swaro make you a custom drop turret matched to your ammp. They work !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    778.8 KB · Views: 94
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.