lancetkenyon

More info please.
FFP or SFP?
MOA or MIL?
Capped or open turrets?
Use? (I assume hunting)
Rifle.it is going on?
Desired magnification range?
Crosshair or BDC or subtensioned reticle?
Illuminated or not?
Objective and tube diameter preference?

I could suggest a Tasco World Class 2-7×32 to a used March F 3-24×42, with about 100 choices in between.

Mike J

More info please.
FFP or SFP?
MOA or MIL?
Capped or open turrets?
Use? (I assume hunting)
Rifle.it is going on?
Desired magnification range?
Crosshair or BDC or subtensioned reticle?
Illuminated or not?
Objective and tube diameter preference?

I could suggest a Tasco World Class 2-7×32 to a used March F 3-24×42, with about 100 choices in between.
The rifle will sit on an AR-10 chambered in 7mm-08 w/18" criterion. I will use the rifle to plink sheep targets up to 500 yards and as a backup on deer/elk I have about $1500 I can spend but I'd be more comfortable around $1k. I'm open to FFP or SFP - I have been considering grabbing one of each since I have a 308 MK-V needing a scope too. I'm looking for a max magnification between 9-20. My eyes are starting to go so illuminated is nice but not a must have. At the end of the day I'd like a scope that's simple to learn, doesn't cover the entire target at 500 yards. For the last 20 years I've been doing more rim fire and peep sites with the occasional 2.5-8 VX-iii thrown in (back in the 90's fixed 10x in the military). - I feel I'm basically starting over so my preferences aren't set.

djfergus

Sightron stac 4-20x50: 22 ounces
Clearidge 4.5-22x50 : 22-23 ounces
Old Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 aprx 22 ounces
Old sightron big skys are very light weight for their magnification : 16-19 ounces up to a 6.5-20x50.

CVCOBRA1

Leo's VX3i.....if you get a plain jane 4.5 x 14 x 50 you can get them down to 16oz. and 12.2 inches. Start adding side focus, ffp and illumination and they start getting heavier. Just can't see any reason for a 28oz plus scope unless its on a bench gun.

djfergus

Leo's VX3i.....if you get a plain jane 4.5 x 14 x 50 you can get them down to 16oz. and 12.2 inches. Start adding side focus, ffp and illumination and they start getting heavier. Just can't see any reason for a 28oz plus scope unless its on a bench gun.
Those big turrets & big side focus knobs adds up to extra weight. I would like to see more scope companies offer tall capped target turrets like the older Leupolds, & sightron big skys.

Mike J

Is the Swarovski Z3 line any good? What are your personal opinions on FFP and SFP?

Rich Coyle

A few of the people I have communicated with will no longer use Swarovski scopes. Their other products are fine.

I prefer second focal plane because I don't like the way the reticle gets "bigger" with turning up the magnification.

dmj

Are you wanting to dial turrets? Or???? One scope I've had pretty good luck with is nightforce shv in the 2.5-10x42. Think it will come pretty close to meeting your weight limit. Good luck

Mike J

Are you wanting to dial turrets? Or???? One scope I've had pretty good luck with is nightforce shv in the 2.5-10x42. Think it will come pretty close to meeting your weight limit. Good luck
I'm open to dialing turrets but I've used hold over more frequently.

dmj

I've got a couple of the shv and have had good luck with them tracking well. Another scope you might consider is the Swarovski Z5. Light and fairly good glass or at least I thought so.

Forcedoutage

I have a 2-10x38 Mavenbuilt that goes about 12.5 oz. it’s a very nice lightweight option if you don’t dial and use holdover like I do mostly.

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce