Are there good, lightweight scopes with reliable tracking?

J3n

I've been looking around trying to a find a scope under 20oz for a lightweight setup. I see two frequently mentioned for this: the Leupold VX-5HD and the Swarovski z5. However, both have many reports of tracking issues either with wandering from vertical zero, being off 1/2MOA or more on horizontal dialing, returning to zero, or any combination of the above. Are there any out there that are durable and reliable in tracking, similar to Nightforce? I could get a Nighforce NX8 2.5-20 but it's 28oz (and FFP where I'm sure SFP would work fine for hunting) and if I can drop 1/2lb through a lightweight scope I'd prefer it. Any recommendations?

Unoboats

LRH Team Member
Have had zero issues tracking with Swaro Z5’s excellent lightweight scope only restriction is you only get 13.25 moa in elevation, but plenty in a lightweight rig. Have run 8 different Swaro Z5or Z3 Ballistic turret scoped with no issues at all.

zr600

What’s your budget? I would look at the new vortex razor lht, or March if it’s in your price range.

DangerRanger

Formerly 'jmcmath'
Imo no one has had an LHT long enough to recommend one as “reliable” if that’s the main consideration in the purchase, if you’re willing to find out yourself it fits well

at this point I think march may be the only option For high mag, if you want low mag and cheaper swfa 3-9hd

zr600

Lol guess I never thought of it that way. Just was thinking the old razor was a good design never really bad issues so thought it would be a good recommendation. Also think maybe an older zeiss hd5 with the target turrets might be a good option.

ButterBean

LRH Team Member
Imo no one has had an LHT long enough to recommend one as “reliable” if that’s the main consideration in the purchase, if you’re willing to find out yourself it fits well

at this point I think march may be the only option For high mag, if you want low mag and cheaper swfa 3-9hd
The SWFA 3-9 HD is a heck of a scope for the money

HuntnPack

LRH Team Member
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42.
Great little 20 oz.scope.
Low mounting to stock.
Good FOV, & eye relief.
Tracks perfectly, RTZ, very STOUT build.
Nice positive click adjustment
Zero stop. Good glass,
Moar reticle is nice,
Illumination, adjustable brightness.
Durability, Repeatability, Reliability !!!

6.5-300 BEE

IF you are building a hunting rifle, there is no need for hyper accurate tracking as you won't be dialing. Get a high quality fixed or FFP variable with a ballistic holdover reticle. The Trijicon Credo 2-10x36mm Riflescope, is 24 oz, FFP, great reticle and you can dial if you wish.

zr600

I would vouch for the trijicon series too. Has anybody tried the Burris signature series?

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.