Most reliable scope

Capers

I had a good buddy of mine contact me and he is looking for a new scope for his rifle. Yes I know this is not a long range scope question but their are a lot of people on here who have a lot of knowledge that can point me in the right direction. He has a 308 and this will be for a hunting rifle with most shots within 300-400 yards. He is in a very remote part of Africa and he is a hunting guide and needs a budget scope for his rifle. Who has the most reliable scope with good glass on a budget? He needs something that will last for years of hard field use without worrying about it breaking on him.

Need more information. We need a price limit to look around and what the intended targets are. If its medium sized game animals at 400 yards as far as value and reliability go my vote would be a vortex viper pst 2.5-10.

I'm very hard on optics, rifles and pretty much all my gear and I was very, very impressed with my Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV!!

I believe the most rugged scopes on the market are the Sightron as far as holding zero with heavy kickers. I bought one off a friend of mine that was mounted on a 45/70 that he shot heavy loads in and it never lost it's zero. The Sightron's have a proprietary internal system that is supposed to be the most robust in the industry. The tube thickness and hardness seem as good as any on the market as far as I can tell, but I don't know the actual specifications.

Having owned one, I would not go with the vortex. I have an hslr that I have sent back twice. Sure, they have a great warranty, but that won't do you any good when you are in the middle of Africa and it breaks. It's really too bad, other than its terrible reliability it has some good features. Just my opinion, I know there are some folks that have had great luck with them.

I have been eying the Nightforcs SHV 3-10x42 myself... I have been dialing back my scopes trying to do more with less magnifacation. Trying to spot my own vapor trail on 10 power.. So the Nightforce gets my vote...
Don't get a fixed power for hunting....

I've had success with all the notable brands, but have been slowly migrating to Vortex. I had an old 10x Redfield go bad, but that was after owning it 35 years and it was on a number of rifles. Bottom line is if you are going on a major hunt like to Africa you'll want to use the scope some to make sure it's working and bring a backup that you have used also. @#%$# happens. A dropped rifle that lands the wrong way and cracks a lens and you are done. A presighted backup scope, even on Weaver rings and bases will return to zero close enough for a 200yd shot in my experience.

I have been very happy with Trijicon Accupoint scopes in 1x4x24 and a Nightforce NXS 2x10x32.

My next hard use scope will be a Trijicon Accupoint 1x6x24 with mildot reticle and mildot adjustments, and that would be a good magnification for 400 yard max shots, and great for closer range shooting and hunting.

If your friend was shooting longer range I think a NXS 2x10x32 or 2x10x42, or maybe the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5x12x42 would be ideal.

El Gato

A 2-10 Nightforce would be a top choice. Buying a cheap scope is more often than not a false economy.

In regards to the comment about not getting a fixed power for hunting, I will politely disagree. I have killed a good number of big game critters with a fixed 10X, as well as used one on a work rifle. It is not nearly the handicap that it is made out to be, and in fact quite often is an asset, as it is one less thing to fiddle with.
If a fixed power works for you then that is all that matters... Personally I have lost track of animals when my scope was dialed up to high and the animal was close. I also shoot 3-gun courses and know a high powered scope is hard to use close quarters. But again, people can make it work. I was voicing my personal experience...

I will add some personal experience with super high powered optics. I always thought I had to have high power to shoot long range. Now after years of shooting long range. I have found that 10 power is enough for most of my long range shooting. But I try to purchase a scope with 14 max power and usually dial it back to 10 power for 1000 yards and less. But that's for steel mainly. If I'm going after a clay pigeon at 1100 then 14 power helps.

Last year I used a Leupold VX-6 4-24X52 for hunting everything I hunted. I used 24X to work up loads and could see 6.5mm bullet holes at 410 yards with ease. But all the animals were killed with the scope set on 4X. On one I was far enough away and did take time to crank it up to 24X and take a good look at it. And then dialed it back so I could see the impact with ease. The farthest was 420 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.